Giving Up Smoking

She has tried them, went back on fags soon after :(
Maybe try again. I'm no expert but there are different nicotine contents and flavours so maybe she did not find the right one. I gave up cold turkey in 1974 when there were no nicotine aids but my brother (you can guess how old he is!) gave up this year using e-cigs and he had tried nicotine patches etc unsuccessfully before.

Maybe try again. I'm no expert but there are different nicotine contents and flavours so maybe she did not find the right one. I gave up cold turkey in 1974 when there were no nicotine aids but my brother (you can guess how old he is!) gave up this year using e-cigs and he had tried nicotine patches etc unsuccessfully before.

Think she is going to try again in the new year. Trouble is, something happens to make her want to start again :(

Think she is going to try again in the new year. Trouble is, something happens to make her want to start again :(
Been there, done that. I "gave up" scores of times before I succeeded. In my case I put the actual cash I save each day on a shelf and had a project to spend it on. Eventually when the sum became large I just wrote it don and graphed it. There is never a "better" time to stop you just have to want to badly enough and maybe she is not there yet. In my experience one always rationalises reasons to start again that is why the e-cigs are so successful because you you still have the nicotine and the physical objects. Good luck.

I started smoking when I was 12 with the odd one ( nicked from my Dads packet) - became a steady smoker by 14 - by the time I was 35 I knew if I didn't give it up it would kill me. I can't remember the number of times I tried to give it up, used to crumple the packet up and say that's the last one but ten minutes later found myself trying to straighten out the crumpled cigs. After two years of trying I was about to give up trying when my best friend was diagnosed with throat cancer - he was dead within two months. From the day he died I never smoked again. That was 32 years ago. God bless his 'cotton socks' because I think his death has given me a longer life.
Best of luck to those trying - it's a long hard road but worth it
James

Been there, done that. I "gave up" scores of times before I succeeded. In my case I put the actual cash I save each day on a shelf and had a project to spend it on. Eventually when the sum became large I just wrote it don and graphed it. There is never a "better" time to stop you just have to want to badly enough and maybe she is not there yet. In my experience one always rationalises reasons to start again that is why the e-cigs are so successful because you you still have the nicotine and the physical objects. Good luck.
She is not of the right mind yet, as she is in a lot of pain with damaged ligaments in her arms. She needs two operations, so she says she is not in the right frame of mind. Hopefully she will be able to tackle the ciggies, sometime next year. :)

The extra Oxygen her blood will be able to carry around without the Haemoglobin being clogged up with CO will probably help her heal faster.

Nicotine is highly addictive, and most smokers struggle to give up. I know this, all too well, but its individual impacts seem to vary.

I know quite a few people who are genuine 'social smokers'. They smoke the odd cigarette or two at a party or whatever, if they feel like it, but go months in between and never feel any withdrawal symptoms or inclination to smoke habitually. Conversely, I have a couple of friends who had very different experiences. The first is in her early 30s, an accountant, who stopped smoking for 6 - 7 years. She got drunk one evening, fancied a smoke and blagged a couple from someone. That was enough. She bought a packet on her way home, and woke up hungover, craving cigarettes. Still smoking as far as I know. The other person is in her 40s, a truly lovely lady whom I'm very fond of. She's struggled with drug addiction for a long time, and manages to stay clean for extended periods, but just can't kick smoking and says the withdrawal is worse for her than any other drug.

Me? I smoke. Not so much in the UK because of the cost, but a lot more at home in SA where it's < £2/20. Funnily enough I can go through an 11 hour flight without any problems at all, but I start craving once I'm back on the ground and get seriously impatient with baggage delays and so on!

Just how much of the addiction is physical and is it, at least partly, psychological? Another friend in SA (photojournalist) smoked for years, went to an Allen Carr clinic for a single session, and has never felt any desire to smoke again.

She is not of the right mind yet, as she is in a lot of pain with damaged ligaments in her arms. She needs two operations, so she says she is not in the right frame of mind. Hopefully she will be able to tackle the ciggies, sometime next year. :)

I feel for her.
I think unless the desire to quit....the absolute want.....is there, it's no use trying.
Hopefully when Mrs Beezer has less health issues to deal with, that desire will really kick in.

I feel for her.
I think unless the desire to quit....the absolute want.....is there, it's no use trying.
Hopefully when Mrs Beezer has less health issues to deal with, that desire will really kick in.
She has just come in from smoking, windy wet and cold, absolutely no fun smoking. She says she needs to get her head in the right frame of mind, and focus :)

I don't smoke. But I was thinking of starting. I haven got around to trying it yet. I keep putting it off. I'm not used to nicotine, so maybe I should start with patches or nicotine gum.

Last edited:
Well I have now passed my 7th year anniversary :)

Well done Keith, seems a long time since I did,probably about the same and looking at the prices now
really pleased I did (y)
I have also fulfilled my promise not to become a self righteous ex-smoker

Last edited:
I stopped cold turkey in Jan 2010, but had the help of patches for two weeks. After that I was on my own.

I'm lucky in that if my sister or nephew come for a visit (maybe once a year), I'm able to, and enjoy having the odd cigarette with them, but have never felt the urge to start again.

I've put on a bit of weight, but not a lot and feel so much healthier for it.

I wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Packed up two and a half years ago after about forty years of smoking.
Did it the old fashioned way, just stopped one day and said that's it.

Not nice at all especially the clearing out which is still going on, supposed to be a good sign.
Had a lung x-ray at the GP's suggestion and somehow haven't got COPD, all my aĺlergies have got considerably worse though.

If they told you how hard it is no one would do it, still don't feel great, but definitely got more breath and no morning smokers cough

About 9 years now gave up when 38 just stopped one day.

I used to go though about 60 a day, mostly because I had a very boring job, sitting for 12 hours watching a production machine waiting for it to go wrong, which is mostly didn't.

I went cold Turkey and managed to give them up first go

What made me give up? it was the day Dennis Healey put them up to a £1 a packet, can't believe anyone still pays £10!

I gave up in April 2007 before the smoking ban came into affect, having smoked more than 20 per day (10 packets a week if out on the tiles) for 15 years.

I found that there are 3 main reasons that aim to give you the motivation to stop smoking:

• Health reasons - either because you've developed some smoking related heath problems or are fearful for getting them. Maybe you have a family member or close friend that is ill or has passed away through smoking.
When I tired to use this myself I'd not had any family members or friends to use as examples and due to my age I was no-where near the age where illnesses become more apparent. In my mind I had 40 years before I'd see any smoking related health issues.

• Financial reasons - How much is a packet of fags today? £8? £9? £10? I honestly could not afford to smoke like I did ten years ago. I'd be spending £100/week, which is £400/month and nearly £5k per year. It's always helpful to look at what you could use that money for instead of cigs and in most cases, it's a mortgage or a least a new car or family holiday. I stopped smoking once because I bought a new car and I honestly didn't think I could afford the repayments AND still smoke. After a few months I realised I could afford both so I ended up smoking again.

• Family pressure - Are your kids begging you stop? What about an ageing parent that's asking you learn by their mistakes? Maybe your partner is pleading with you? All this is pressure from family members and in all honest, it's whether you value their needs greater than your own. When I tried to stop smoking I didn't have kids or a partner so that didn't help motivate me. My Mum had smoked for years and successfully stopped first when she had my sister, then she smoked for the following 3 years until she had me. Then that was it, her children ended up being her prime motivator to stop smoking. She pleaded with me countless times to stop and my response was always that I'd try for her but I never did.

I tried all of the above and I always found a way around it resulting in me continuing to smoke. There was no motivator big enough for me that outweighed my attitude towards smoking,

So how did I stop?

Well I did it cold turkey with no help from patches or nicotine gum or cigarette replacements. What did it from me was that the Government were to pass a law telling me where and when I could smoke and I was so enraged by that control being taken away from I decided to stick two fingers up to the establishment and show them that they couldn't tell me when and where I could smoke - so I stopped just to spite them.

Mental or what?

Funny story - I lived in Ireland for a while working as musician and so I was always in pubs and clubs, full of smoking. When they introduced the smoking ban, almost overnight the pubs we played in absolutely reeked from people farting! You'd walk into a place and all you could smell was other people's farts! I'd rather be breathing in cigarette smoke than other people's poo particles!

I will admit, it was hard to start with but I found it easier if I removed myself from people and places where I knew smokers were. I caved twice whilst trying to stop and that was going halves on a packet of 20 on a stag night out - p***ed out my head of course. The second was new years eve 2007 where me and a mate bought a packet each and sat on his house step and smoked them one after another - again p***ed up. I was so disappointed with myself the next day - I felt terrible, my throat was knackered and I'd failed in front of my wife. That was the last packet of cigs I actually smoked. In fact, I've still got a few places around the house where I'll find a half pack of cigs that I'd forgot about. It feels totally alien to hold a cig in my fingers now and even more putting one in-between my lips. You think that you'll never get over it but one day I got up, went about my day and then later that night I thought to myself, 'Huh, I haven't thought about cigarettes today - weird'. Today I don't think about them at all. No interest, zero, nada, zilch.

My final advice is to pick a date in the future that you are going to use as the day you become a non-smoker. Build up to it. Tell family and friends about it. Then on that day you tell yourself that you are a non-smoker. You NEVER say that you're TRYING to stop smoking. You ALWAYS say that you are a non-smoker. If someone offers you a fag you say, 'No thank you, I DONT SMOKE'. You don't say, 'No thank you, I'm trying to stop' NEVER EVER!

When you are trying to stop and other smokers know that then they WILL try and derail your attempts by offering you one - 'Go on, one won't hurt'. But ONE does hurt. There is a definite line between a smoker and a non-smoker and there is no in-between. You are either a smoker or a non-smoker - it's that simple! So which one will you be? It's your choice. Even having 1 cig makes you a smoker.

There was always that question of when you had your first cigarette and if you could go back to that point would you say no rather than yes? Most smokers do actually say that they would say no instead of yes. So when that happens you have that same choice again. Do you want to say yes and become a smoker or say NO and continue to be a non-smoker.

It's f*****g hard mate - don't doubt it - but the rewards are huge!

I forget if it's your heart or lungs that repair themselves to that of a non-smoker after 10 years of stopping. If it's your lungs then the opposite, so your heart, is repaired after just 5 years of being a non-smoker. My heart and lungs today are that of a non-smoker and have fully repaired themselves as if I never had a cig in my life.

So, crack on with it and good luck!

Last edited:
33 years and counting :D I did it cold turkey as well . If you want to stop STOP , job done

I don't smoke. But I was thinking of starting. I haven got around to trying it yet. I keep putting it off. I'm not used to nicotine, so maybe I should start with patches or nicotine gum.
This is a joke right?

What wields me out way more than people harping on about stopping smoking is seeing young people smoking.
All the education and information about cancer and all the awful crap that fags do to your body and they just ignore it.
I can understand some miserable old fart saying bugger that can't be bothered, i'm to set in my ways etc but the supposed next generation choose cancer?

What wields me out way more than people harping on about stopping smoking is seeing young people smoking.
All the education and information about cancer and all the awful crap that fags do to your body and they just ignore it.
I can understand some miserable old fart saying bugger that can't be bothered, i'm to set in my ways etc but the supposed next generation choose cancer?

You don't start smoking because you love the taste of - in fact, it's common to end up puking your guts up. To be a smoker you really have to invest in it and get beyond those ill feelings. So the reasons that young kids smoke is because they think exactly like they've always have through the generations - it's makes them 'think' they look cool and grown up. Simple as that! Take that element away and you won't have kids smoking anymore.

You don't start smoking because you love the taste of - in fact, it's common to end up puking your guts up. To be a smoker you really have to invest in it and get beyond those ill feelings. So the reasons that young kids smoke is because they think exactly like they've always have through the generations - it's makes them 'think' they look cool and grown up. Simple as that! Take that element away and you won't have kids smoking anymore.

yeah and it is just so weird for exactly that reason, if you look at role models now for young people how many of them smoke?

yeah and it is just so weird for exactly that reason, if you look at role models now for young people how many of them smoke?

I don't think it starts with typical national/global role models, it starts closer to home. The kids from the estates smoke at young ages because it makes them look tough and because they're exhibiting their power to break the rules. The rest of the kids follow on from there I think.

When I had my first cig at 13 years old it was because I'd caught my sister smoking (who was 16 at the time) and I told her I was going to grass on her to our Mum. To stop me she bribed me with 3 cigs for me to sell! I sold 2 of them and then lit one up with my mates to see what it was like. She did this a few times over the next few years but I started smoking everyday when I was 16 and I went to college. I just wanted to look grown up and as you could smoke in college buildings back then I just saw all the cool kids in the smoking room and all the nerds stayed away.

Did I look cool? Back then, damn right! Now, not so much!

I didn't smoke because I saw my idols on TV or read about in magazines smoked, I did it because I wanted to look cool and be one of the first of my group to try something new............which turned out to be a very slippery slope towards my attitudes to many things during my teens & twenties - but we'll leave that for another time.....:)

Back