Glasgow members

me there is a few from glasgow on here bud

I'm over in Perthshire but work takes me over to Possilpark (once a week aor so) so I'd quite like to try and do a bit of photography around the Glasgow area for a change.

Just outside Kilmarnock (right next to the A77, so I hit the city centre faster than most people who live in Glasgow)

One more from Glasgow ... and quite a few others who haven't seen this / bothered to reply.

Just from curiosity, are you all come from Scottland or are there any other nations members who just live there?
Were there any meetings of this forum members in Glasgow?

Most from Scotland, but few from much further afield.
Few meetings now and then whenever someone takes the inclination to suggest a meet.

Photography wise the architecture is stunning and there's loads to snap,you won't be lost for places to go and your never less than an hours travelling to the lochs and glens (hills and water).

Unfortunately people wise the crime rates speaks for itself(like the whole west coast), whilst there are plenty of decent people for every one nice person theres five "bawbags".

Lovely place though, like any big city it has its up's and down's.

MickM said:
Photography wise the architecture is stunning and there's loads to snap,you won't be lost for places to go and your never less than an hours travelling to the lochs and glens (hills and water).

Unfortunately people wise the crime rates speaks for itself(like the whole west coast), whilst there are plenty of decent people for every one nice person theres five "bawbags".

Lovely place though, like any big city it has its up's and down's.

Ok thanks for that. Is Darnley any decent area?
I love shooting architecture and landscapes so I'm looking forward to it.
Are there any empty old buildings with easy access? It was really a problem to find anything like that in London.

Couldn't comment on Darnley mate but I'm sure one of the glasgow residents will know a little more.

As for old buildings and derelict, check out Abandoned Scotlands website or their facebook and the 28dayslater website as theres loads of stuff and hidden gems to go explore. I've done a few urban exploration's myself through them websites and I'm pretty much certain there'll be loads of places that you can access that'll take your fancy!.

Last edited:
MickM said:
Couldn't comment on Darnley mate but I'm sure one of the glasgow residents will know a little more.

As for old buildings and derelict, check out Abandoned Scotlands website or their facebook and the 28dayslater website as theres loads of stuff and hidden gems to go explore. I've done a few urban exploration's myself through them websites and I'm pretty much certain there'll be loads of places that you can access that'll take your fancy!.

I will deffinitely check it out as soon as I put my hands on my pc. Thanks very much for your input...

I live in the Darnley area.
Plenty of opportunities for pix.
There is the country park which leads to dams in Barrhead.
You have Paisley just 15 min drive with abbey, museum and lot of photo opps in centre.
Frome Darnley you are 12mins from Glasgow City Centre on train.
Roukenglen Park is 5mins by bus / car 15 mins walk.
Pollok Park about 15 mins with Burrell Collection, if you're into art.
Check out my pix and you'll see most / all the wildlife pix are from Darnley park.
When are you moving ?

Last edited:
I live in the Darnley area.
Plenty of opportunities for pix.
There is the country park which leads to dams in Barrhead.
You have Paisley just 15 min drive with abbey, museum and lot of photo opps in centre.
Frome Darnley you are 12mins from Glasgow City Centre on train.
Roukenglen Park is 5mins by bus / car 15 mins walk.
Pollok Park about 15 mins with Burrell Collection, if you're into art.
Check out my pix and you'll see most / all the wildlife pix are from Darnley park.
When are you moving ?

Sounds great... Just need to buy some UWA lens and I can start explore Glasgow. The plan is to move around 20th of March, need to sort things out here in London first... I will be looking forward for some meetups in future... would be great to get to know some nice people...

Another Glesga punter here (and there's at least another two on the forum who haven't posted on this thread).

Glasgow has the best buildings in Scotland...Merchant city will give you lots to go on.....try the financial part of the city (Blythswood Sq.) if you like that stuff.

If you fancy any help hit me up with a PM when you get here.

Are there any empty old buildings with easy access? It was really a problem to find anything like that in London.

If you take a 25 minute ride to a place called Cardross you'll find one of the best empty buildings in the UK and there's no security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter's_Seminary,_Cardross

Won't be empty for long, though, I think it will be redeveloped in the next few months.

There are many, many empty buildings in and around Glasgow - Check out HiddenGlasgow and UrbanGlasgow forums, they're not the usual unhelpful 'Urban Explorers', they'll happily give advice on locations and the history of buildings.

Latest I heard on St peters that some Italian blokes trying to buy it for redevelopment?

Not sure how true it is but it was definitely up for sale as my pals company was in the bidding to demolish it.

Mick

cobwebscavern said:
Another Glesga punter here (and there's at least another two on the forum who haven't posted on this thread).

Glasgow has the best buildings in Scotland...Merchant city will give you lots to go on.....try the financial part of the city (Blythswood Sq.) if you like that stuff.

If you fancy any help hit me up with a PM when you get here.

Will do when i settle down. Thanks

Micehorns said:
If you take a 25 minute ride to a place called Cardross you'll find one of the best empty buildings in the UK and there's no security.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter%27s_Seminary,_Cardross

Won't be empty for long, though, I think it will be redeveloped in the next few months.

There are many, many empty buildings in and around Glasgow - Check out HiddenGlasgow and UrbanGlasgow forums, they're not the usual unhelpful 'Urban Explorers', they'll happily give advice on locations and the history of buildings.

This building is brilliant! I want more :). I had a quick look on UrbanGlasgow and will defo explore more after i sort things with house and job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Peter's_Seminary,_Cardross

I'm based in Helensburgh and did not know of this, thanks

Just north of Glasgow. Interesting thread, I must try some of these places next time I cant think of anywhere to go.

Someone should start up a thread on the "meets" section for Scotland and see if we can get an idea to see how many folk would be up for a Glasgow meet?

Mick

I'd be up for a trip up to Cardross and bowling on sunday the 7th (only free day for me)For the seminary and pier. And if folks want to chip in some fuel money, my car(its a berlingo) is big enough to cart 5 of us and a fair bit of gear. I know my way around the seminary a fair bit, so we can drive pretty much upto the gates.
And if there is any other places we could think of?

John

Back