Critique Glass Vase

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
My more creative half has been learning glass glowing. This was a bit tricky to light, having both opaque and translucent elements. I'm quite pleased with how it came out. I'd like the specular highlights to be a bit smoother - though I didn't have room to use a bigger modifier - and I'm irritated that I missed a finger print and some specs of dust. There are also a few faint reflections that I missed at the time. Next time I will give myself a lot more space to start with; this was crammed into my tiny front room.

I also realise now that there's no context to give a sense of scale.

Post was basically removing the dust, darkening the background a little and a slight curves tweak.

All feedback welcome.

Glass Vase
by Simon Carter, on Flickr

Pullbacks:

I also held a piece of translucent Correx board over the top, angled slightly, to further control the highlights.

— The key solution here is to consider transparency as an ambient light
and reflective area as a fill. Here, I like the achieved transparency but
but the fill is overkill!
— In product photography, scale is not referenced in the picture but in
the legend.
— I think I perceive a slight leaning to the left.
— …right, fingerprints and dust…

I like the thinking process and the simple solutions in your setup!

Last edited:
looks a bit soft to me
did you use small aperture, manual focusing?
sorry i cant comment on the lighting but the subject seems to need a 'push' to get it to sing
cheers
geof

looks a bit soft to me
did you use small aperture, manual focusing?
sorry i cant comment on the lighting but the subject seems to need a 'push' to get it to sing
cheers
geof

I thought it was a bit soft too. The bubbles on the rim are sharp, though, as are the reflections near the right edge and the top left edge, even though the edges aren't.

I think some of the apparent softness is due to the fact that the white lines are in fact soft edged; there is a transition from opaque to translucent glass. The actual edges seem soft too, though. I don't know if that's the same cause, whether it's due to my processing to darken the backdrop a little (I don't think so), whether I didn't have enough DoF (I think I was at f11) or whether I should have been focus stacking. Or perhaps it's just flare? Or maybe the softness is due to diffraction. I know that diffraction does start to make an appearance on that lens a bit before f8.

Back