Glencoe - What must not be missed

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Am going up to glencoe for a weeks holiday but would like to put together an schedule. I have booked a day with a local photographer to kick start my week. I plan to have an overnight stop in Skye and see a separate thread on that. I am going with partner who loves castles.

I have a 50mm prime a 18 - 200 and a 12 to 24 wide angle plus set of nd filters and a very heavy tripod as I want to try long exposures.

So where should I be looking to visit. might stop at Glasgow on way back too if I can find a cheap travel lodge ... science building looks a great place to photograph.

Thanks for ant imput

Carl. Or Carol as the scots say. ESP those from Glasgow

Glencoe isnt in North England so dont know why you've put it in that section :p
You will be spoilt for choice in Glencoe area. Glencoe lochan, buchaille etive mhor, glen etive, loch ba, loch tulla, Lochan na h-Achlaise, blackrock cottage, three sisters etc etc
As for castles, you should stop at eilean donan castle on the way to/from Skye.
Best at sunset if you can do that.

Plenty of places to photograph around Glencoe, rannoch moor on the drive up and as for castles you can drive over to urqhuart castle on loch ness and come back via Oban and castle stalker. A lot of places on Skye too , Sligachan, across to Elgol and the old man of storr.
Who is the photography course with? Karl from Glencoe photography is really good to go out with.
Hope you enjoy your week.

I was going to give you advice but ive never been to glencoe in north england

hopefully its as beautiful as glencoe in scotland. big landscape area take a tripod and wide angle lens. bets shots to be had first thing in morning and last thing at night

Am going up to glencoe for a weeks holiday but would like to put together an schedule. I have booked a day with a local photographer to kick start my week. I plan to have an overnight stop in Skye and see a separate thread on that. I am going with partner who loves castles.

I have a 50mm prime a 18 - 200 and a 12 to 24 wide angle plus set of nd filters and a very heavy tripod as I want to try long exposures.

So where should I be looking to visit. might stop at Glasgow on way back too if I can find a cheap travel lodge ... science building looks a great place to photograph.

Thanks for ant imput

Carl. Or Carol as the scots say. ESP those from Glasgow

I have re started the thread but for Scotland. Thanks for comments so far

[Staff Edit: Threads are now merged]

Last edited by a moderator:
You mentioned a photography course, hope it is with Karl http://www.glencoephotography.co.uk/

As for castes, there is Castle Stalker on the road down to Oban and Eilean donan castle on the drive to Skye as well as Urqhuart castle on loch ness.

On the drive to Glencoe you have rannoch moor and if you feel up for the walk, there is always the lost valley.

You have Glenfinnan monument, Ben nevis, Neptunes staircase, Ardnamurchan point and the lighthouse .

If you take a drive to loch ness , then try and come down via Aviemore and the cairngorms as well as the rothiemurchus estate, there are a lot of possibilities there as well as the castle in loch an eilean.

There are a lot of possibilities on Skye, but I think there is already a thread up about that.

Glen Garry and the lesser known Loch Quoich are strong contenders. A wee bitty further north Loch Carron and Bealach Na Ba/Applecross peninsula.

Thanks chaps. Lots of google from this list. Lots of early starts i hope .. ve got my midge repellent.. : - )

Hi Carl,

Lots of others have given good suggestions for Skye and Glencoe so I won't rehash those but have you thought of anywhere else other than the Science Centre in Glasgow?

If you want to give more details of what your are looking for on the thread or PM me I could maybe help? If I can swing time to meet round work I could perhaps do that if you would like a guide for Glasgow?

I was up that was a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I didn't do much photography wise (i know, i know!), the main thing the locals recommended for the midges were Avon Skin so soft moisturiser.

to the point where although you can buy it from Avon at a couple of quid, the shops are selling it at 6-7 quid.

jokeruk said:
I was up that was a couple of weeks ago, and whilst I didn't do much photography wise (i know, i know!), the main thing the locals recommended for the midges were Avon Skin so soft moisturiser.

to the point where although you can buy it from Avon at a couple of quid, the shops are selling it at 6-7 quid.

Yeah it's the best stuff for them. Just realised there's an Avon catalogue at my door, I should really order some.

It all depends on your body chemistry and what is contained in your sweat whether or not a midge repellent works. Avon skin so soft does not work for me or a few friends, I tend to use Life venture midge repellent either the natural or the full strength one, you can get them from any decent outdoor shop, try and get a midge net as well.

I have just got back . The weather was awful all week. Constant grey skies. I had a great day with Karl of glencoe photography and got one or 2 nice pixs. But I had to skip the viaduct I planned for a sunrise shoot. I got some nice waterfalls shots as these were very full. Only wish I had a full set of nd filters as skies were always a total blowout. But we live and learn

I have just got back . The weather was awful all week. Constant grey skies.

Sorry to hear the weather was against you Carl.

Before moving here I used to get frustrated as every time I visited (hillwalking as much as photography) the weather seemed to conspire against me.

Unfortunately those conditions are typical and it's just down to the law of averages.

Hope you enjoyed yourself despite the conditions.

PS

A set of ND grads are certainly worth investing in if you're unable to pick and choose and your moments.

Last edited:
There were distillery tours instead. Oban dalwhinnie and tallisker.

Back