Gliding

Gliders are pulled aloft by winches or being towed by vehicles Joe. I'd think that would provide some good photos. Any chance you'll cop a ride? :)

London Gliding Club ? Thats Dunstable isnt it ?

Can get some good pics on the field or from up on the downs ! :) has been a few years since i did it, but i loved every second of it ! :)

Went on to fly helicopters but not done it for 9 years now :( one thin i would definitely get back into if i won the lotto ! :)

I haven't been gliding since my teens, I'd give my right arm to be able to go again :(

If the weather is good it should be a good photo opportunity Joe.

Excellent stuff .. done a bit at the very club ! Fantastic to get up among it but also a great place for pic opps Joe !

If I remember rightly the surrounding hills provide great lift for Para-Gliding too and they provide a great spectacle if they're about !

Good luck with the gear ... but if you can take the opportunity to get up there too !

Can you go down on the ups?

sorry.....:exit:

Evening will be a nice time to fly as the thermals will be lighter or non-existant by then giving a smoother (but shorter) flight.

Winch launching is fun. After you are above recovery height you pull back on the stick to get as much height as possible. Airspeed increases and therefore the wind noise. When you nose over and cut away all goes VERY quiet. A bit eery for first time flyers but soon becomes an "I'm home" type feeling.

You can also get great views from the air like this:

167562868_42e0a6ef5e_m.jpg

If you fly or stay on the ground have fun. It's a great sport!

Steep said:
I haven't been gliding since my teens, I'd give my right arm to be able to go again :(

Air Training Corps by any chance? That's when I did my gliding, open cockpit sitting side by side, really exhilarating experience.

Yup, open canopy string bag affairs, getting soaked flying through clouds, marvelous! :)

That is really stunning Joe ... like the processing and comp too !

Wouldn't you rather been up there though ?

nice work joe, very good shot indeed.

First one of that last lot, WOW.

The first of the last lot is great, if you stare at it for a while the perspective starts to trick you and its looks as if ithe plane is going away from you, but then if you look again it also can look as if its coming towards you...well I can see it at least...or am I just nuts:wacky:

Not Nuts Glen.

This is a common (mis)interpretation and has lead to more than a couple of near-misses in the air!

cool stuff joe, really like the strong background colours with the glider in sillo sell siloe blacked out against the background:D

they are really nice joe, i like them all, difficult to pic favourites...

Joe T said:
Really? Thanks man! I didnt think it thats really that good. Its a tight crop of this:

DSC_0463-01s.jpg

This would benefit a panorama crop, I've just had a go and it looks good.

Here it is, had a play in Levels, obviously very lo-res but you get the idea.

DSC_0463-01s.jpg

Some really good stuff there Joe ... personally I like the first of the first batch of this second lot of shots ... if you follow !

The sky composition and colouring really give it a wow ... and the tow line just takes you straight to the glider ... and it even looks like the pic was taken from the tow plane/vehicle too ... v. clever ... a great shot among others !

Looks like you had a really productive, enjoyable day ?

those sillhouette shots are v good joe.

I especially like being able to see the big grins in some of the others, a sense of atmosphere ;)

Back