Goalmouth cameras

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Just watching the FA cup semi and wondering what settings the guys use on the cameras behind the goal? Also how do they pick a focus point? Is it pre focused on a particular area?
Funny the things you think about when the action gets a bit slow :)

I was thinking has anyone had their camera/lens broken just after a great goal!!

I was at the City Ground watching Forest v Bristol City last week, and during a lull in play I looked down at two photographers sat on the touchline in front of the stand I was in.
They were both sat down with cameras on monopods, with laptops open within handy reach to their right, and inbetween shooting I noticed they were both tapping away on the lappies - sending the photos to their editors mid-match?

Pre-focused (usually on the 6 yd box) and then switched to manual. I leave mine on Av f/5.6 with +1EC to compensate for the amount of sky. High speed continuous and triggered from the short lens camera.

Usually a 30D with a 17-40mm attached.

I think that Carol sets hers to M

Also how do they pick a focus point? Is it pre focused on a particular area?

likely its set with the lens to infinity with a enough depth of field to grab anything within a few yards of the goal line

They were both sat down with cameras on monopods, with laptops open within handy reach to their right, and inbetween shooting I noticed they were both tapping away on the lappies - sending the photos to their editors mid-match?

if not to their editors to a news group who sell the images on

DemiLion said:
Pre-focused (usually on the 6 yd box) and then switched to manual. I leave mine on Av f/5.6 with +1EC to compensate for the amount of sky. High speed continuous and triggered from the short lens camera.

Usually a 30D with a 17-40mm attached.

I think that Carol sets hers to M

Cheers Mark. So would you be firing that simultaneously with another camera, presumably with a radio trigger or similar? Would love to see how you guys work.

Yup, an RF602 Tx on top of another camera.

I haven't shot any football at all this season though.

Most of its already been said...couple of different ways to do it..seen a guy shooting for AFP with an interesting setup..was a pocket wizard mounted to a foot pedal so he just stood on it when he wanted it to fire. At big games, lots of people use pwII's and if you lucky youll end up on the same channel as someone, so if you miss it, someone else's PW may of set yours off lol.

Re the laptop..and who their shooting for yes, or either straight to paper picture desks if freelance.

If your interested to know abit more, ive just started out in football photography, and have been blogging about it...scroll through and alot of it is explained :) http://robfisherphotographic.co.uk/category/blog/

Last edited:
If the light is constant, I'll usually have mine on f/4, manually focused on somewhere between the 6-yard box and the goal line, with the shutter speed at 1/500th or above and the ISO adjusted to suit.

If the light is changeable, I'll have it on shutter priority with auto-ISO, spot metered on the grass, manual focus again.

I have taken to using a Panasonic GF1 as a remote as it's cheap, small and less painful if hit by the ball. Problem is that the frame rate isn't very good.

The remote is fired using pocket wizards, with the trigger unit on the hotshoe of the body with the 70-200 on it which is usually capturing the goalmouth action.

Quite a few folks use direct wired remotes with a long cable triggered by a foot switch, which is rather more reliable than PWs.

Cheers Mark. So would you be firing that simultaneously with another camera, presumably with a radio trigger or similar? Would love to see how you guys work.

Wot Mark said! Using the main camera to fire means an awful lot of dross on the second camera but that can be preferable to mucking about with a cheap hand held remote like i used to!

Wonder if any of those bankrd up cameras caught the doubtful chelsea goal lol

Tobers said:
If the light is constant, I'll usually have mine on f/4, manually focused on somewhere between the 6-yard box and the goal line, with the shutter speed at 1/500th or above and the ISO adjusted to suit.

If the light is changeable, I'll have it on shutter priority with auto-ISO, spot metered on the grass, manual focus again.

I have taken to using a Panasonic GF1 as a remote as it's cheap, small and less painful if hit by the ball. Problem is that the frame rate isn't very good.

The remote is fired using pocket wizards, with the trigger unit on the hotshoe of the body with the 70-200 on it which is usually capturing the goalmouth action.

Quite a few folks use direct wired remotes with a long cable triggered by a foot switch, which is rather more reliable than PWs.

I'd have enough trouble getting a good picture with one camera let alone firing another with a foot pedal :)

Would have been OOF as the ball hardly made into the 6 yard box let alone across the line :)
Awful decision!!!

Would have been OOF as the ball hardly made into the 6 yard box let alone across the line :)
Awful decision!!!

In the metro today - a good shot on the back page by EPA ...

Awful decision!!!

I thought the same until I saw this picture on the BBC. To me it looks over. Others have agreed and disagreed.

_59676824_matagoal.jpg

The way I fire my remote camera is with pw's and I have a custom switch in my mouth so all I have to do is bite, keeping my hands free

I run mine with RF602 triggers from my main camera (when I use it)

I dont really use it that often to look into other options, If I was to get a third camera in the future I may consider using it again / more often but at present its gets limited use

With the triggers I do get alot of "wasted" images as everytime I take one with the goalmouth camera I get one from behind the goal aswell

Thought I revive this thread.

I have Phottix Strato II Multi triggers & just doing some experimenting.

Put the receiver on the 5D3 and hand holding the Transmitter.

5D3 on manual focus and high speed (i.e. 6fps).

If I press and hold the button on the Transmitter it only takes one photo. To take more I need to press, press, press quickly.

Max shots seems to be three.

If I put the Transmitter on the 1Dx and hold the shutter down it only takes one shot.

I am just wondering how it works with the PWs and the RF602s.

Tobers had this problem with his home made foot trigger didn't he? Might be worth digging out that thread.

602s will trigger continuous shooting.

I think that it's down to the type of signal that the trigger passes to the camera - but it's all a bit techie & electrickery!

Thought I revive this thread.

I have Phottix Strato II Multi triggers & just doing some experimenting.

Put the receiver on the 5D3 and hand holding the Transmitter.

5D3 on manual focus and high speed (i.e. 6fps).

If I press and hold the button on the Transmitter it only takes one photo. To take more I need to press, press, press quickly.

Max shots seems to be three.

If I put the Transmitter on the 1Dx and hold the shutter down it only takes one shot.

I am just wondering how it works with the PWs and the RF602s.

Ive wired up a few pocket wizard firing devices (Foot Pedals, switches you can bite on to fire, laser switches etc) they will throw out 12fps no problem

Back