Godox 2.4 triggering

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
I'm resigning myself to a move to the new Godox ecosystem, but I have some legacy Godox (ish) kit I need to keep for the time being.

Currently own some xt16 receivers, and I'm planning a kit from XPro-c transmitter, AD200, and Godox speedlights, I'm ok with that.

But I will be keeping the Safari2 (I'd like an AD600 but don't use it enough to justify the cost, as the Safari never earned it's keep), I also have some Godox studio heads.

I think the XTR16 receivers will control the legacy kit seamlessly, but is that right? And if so, will I be able to HSS on the Safari2 with them? (I suspect so because the cells2 worked)

Hopefully @mike weeks will know, but anyone else is free to chip in.

The Safari 2 isn't IGBT so can't do HSS, but it CAN do tail end sync with the XTR16 kit, and for outdoor use that's all you need.
A pity that you haven't been able to make the Safari earn it's keep, I think it's a cracking bit of kit and you've seen what I've done with it...

The Safari 2 isn't IGBT so can't do HSS, but it CAN do tail end sync with the XTR16 kit, and for outdoor use that's all you need.
A pity that you haven't been able to make the Safari earn it's keep, I think it's a cracking bit of kit and you've seen what I've done with it...
Thanks Garry, yes I knew long tail rather than proper HSS, the reasons I've not used it more is purely down to me, I don't have enough use really for it, but I wanted one anyway. It only gets used a couple of times a year. :(

Ahem...If you're thinking of moving it on...(y)
I'm keeping it because it's better than the loss I'd make.
If I sold it, I'd want an AD600, again I'd not use it much, but invaluable when needed.
They do turn up S/H quite often. ;)

Well the specs indicate that it is no good for tail sync (flash duration too short) and my own testing found that to be the case, but certainly a well made piece of kit. Was told a long time ago that it could do it but never seen any evidence of anybody doing it. The original Safari Li-Ion was good for tail sync.

And yes as long as you update to an X receivedr it will all play

Mike

Well the specs indicate that it is no good for tail sync (flash duration too short) and my own testing found that to be the case, but certainly a well made piece of kit. Was told a long time ago that it could do it but never seen any evidence of anybody doing it. The original Safari Li-Ion was good for tail sync.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I've tried the tail sync, and I didn't have much success, but I'd like to go full on Godox and as I say I don't use it enough for an AD 600 upgrade.

FYI (as I'm looking at doing a very similar add on inc the Safari), one of the cheapest ways to buy the XT-16s that I've seen is a package deal on Ebay for 3 receivers and an XT1 trigger for the same price as a stand alone XT1; ie £45ish

FYI (as I'm looking at doing a very similar add on inc the Safari), one of the cheapest ways to buy the XT-16s that I've seen is a package deal on Ebay for 3 receivers and an XT1 trigger for the same price as a stand alone XT1; ie £45ish
Thanks Mark, I'm waiting for the xpro-c trigger, I'll see what deals are available.

I'd like 3 receivers too, but also realise I'll need a spare transmitter

Still trying to price it all up, including looking at the baby flash too (for use asa remote and for travel)

Mike
The previous model was "better" in that it had a longer flash duration, but I've not only used it with the Safari 2 but have also demonstrated it to quite a lot of people. I used PW and a fast-shutter (Nikon) camera, and from memory I think that the Safari had to be at half power. I never did try it with any Godox triggers, never had any.

The previous model was "better" in that it had a longer flash duration, but I've not only used it with the Safari 2 but have also demonstrated it to quite a lot of people. I used PW and a fast-shutter (Nikon) camera, and from memory I think that the Safari had to be at half power. I never did try it with any Godox triggers, never had any.

I have Nikon’s with a fast shutter, I tried with Pocket Wizard and Yongnuo and could not get it to work, would not have been possible with Godox triggers that existed then.

Mike

I have Nikon’s with a fast shutter, I tried with Pocket Wizard and Yongnuo and could not get it to work, would not have been possible with Godox triggers that existed then.

Mike
Cells II?

I've used the Yongnuo triggers and experimented with the timing and had some success in portrait mode, but I had better luck with a 3 stop ND filter.

That said, it's not what the point of the thread was, so long as I can trigger the Safari and Godox studio lights with the new trigger, alongside the AD200 and speedlights, I'll be happy.

Did you sort out with the triggers Phil?
I've got the AD 180, 3 x V850 mk2's and just ordered a TT350s for the a7r an X1Ts transmitter & 3 x XTR 16S triggers which haven't arrived yet.
From what I have read the X1Ts commander will work fine with the older speed lights and the bare bulb flash as long as I use the XTR receivers on them and HSS should be available on all, of course only the TT350 with allow TTL, but I'm not that bothered really as usually shoot with manual flash.
I've also seen a video where someone stacked the older commander on top of the X1Ts to trigger the older flashes and it worked just fine! but for HSS obviously you would have to use the cells11 rather than the XT16 commander as it doesn't do HSS I think.
Will let you know if they work as soon as they arrive.

Did you sort out with the triggers Phil?
I've got the AD 180, 3 x V850 mk2's and just ordered a TT350s for the a7r an X1Ts transmitter & 3 x XTR 16S triggers which haven't arrived yet.
From what I have read the X1Ts commander will work fine with the older speed lights and the bare bulb flash as long as I use the XTR receivers on them and HSS should be available on all, of course only the TT350 with allow TTL, but I'm not that bothered really as usually shoot with manual flash.
I've also seen a video where someone stacked the older commander on top of the X1Ts to trigger the older flashes and it worked just fine! but for HSS obviously you would have to use the cells11 rather than the XT16 commander as it doesn't do HSS I think.
Will let you know if they work as soon as they arrive.
Why 3 XT16? The v850II units have the receiver built in. Seems only the AD180 needs the external receiver. The TT350 could be used as master/trigger but offcource it's hard to sacrifice a flash to that purpose. My AD360 version er does HSS with the X1 and XT16 receiver though select of setting on flash is required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mark, I'm waiting for the xpro-c trigger, I'll see what deals are available.

I'd like 3 receivers too, but also realise I'll need a spare transmitter

Still trying to price it all up, including looking at the baby flash too (for use asa remote and for travel)

I purchased the TT350 and XT1 F triggerat a good price from eBay it just might be what your looking for Phil as you can actually turn flash off and use it to trigger and control your other 2.4 speedlight units

Ok got most of the order....

Firstly my bad I have V850's not mk 2's.

The X1 transmitter may work with the original XT16s receivers/triggers but my X1T-S won't, nor will it with the XT16 trigger for the AD 180.

The XTR16 s works fine on the V850's, HSS works a treat, but for the AD series, i.e. 360/180 without built in wireless you need the XTR16 as the AD series use a USB port for the triggers.

The old 16s & 16 triggers don't work with the X1T transmitter, well mine wouldn't even though set to the same channel etc.

Once again and I can't say this enough - Ving Speedlights such as the V850 need the XTR16s triggers, the AD series (180/360) need the XTR16 triggers, they are different fittings so make sure you order the correct ones for your lights.

Any Godox lights with built in 2.4ghz X wireless should work fine with the X1T series transmitters.

I have a TT350's. great compact little flash but they are fairly low power (approx half the power of the next model up) and HSS requires power, even using the V850 on full power I was still having to use F2 @ 1/1000 sec ISO 100 approx 7-8 ft from subject (quick test shot) it might be a little better with the light closer to the subject but for higher speeds your going to have to push the ISO a bit.

Last edited:
Ok got most of the order....

Firstly my bad I have V850's not mk 2's.

The X1 transmitter may work with the original XT16s receivers/triggers but my X1T-S won't, nor will it with the XT16 trigger for the AD 180.

The XTR16 s works fine on the V850's, HSS works a treat, but for the AD series, i.e. 360/180 without built in wireless you need the XTR16 as the AD series use a USB port for the triggers.

The old 16s & 16 triggers don't work with the X1T transmitter, well mine wouldn't even though set to the same channel etc.

Once again and I can't say this enough - Ving Speedlights such as the V850 need the XTR16s triggers, the AD series (180/360) need the XTR16 triggers, they are different fittings so make sure you order the correct ones for your lights.

Any Godox lights with built in 2.4ghz X wireless should work fine with the X1T series transmitters.

I have a TT350's. great compact little flash but they are fairly low power (approx half the power of the next model up) and HSS requires power, even using the V850 on full power I was still having to use F2 @ 1/1000 sec ISO 100 approx 7-8 ft from subject (quick test shot) it might be a little better with the light closer to the subject but for higher speeds your going to have to push the ISO a bit.
The old FT16 trigger works @ 433Mhz, the X1, X32, Pro and XT(R)16 @2,4Ghz
Ah so it's the V850 version one you have. Makes sense then. :)
Exciting to see what you come up with using your "new" Kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update
Ordered an x-pro c (well the Pixapro) and a couple of xtr16’s.
To go with the AD200.now to get the old stuff ready for selling. Too much stuff, need to rationalise, I can’t get to the gear I need.

Update
Ordered an x-pro c (well the Pixapro) and a couple of xtr16’s.
To go with the AD200.now to get the old stuff ready for selling. Too much stuff, need to rationalise, I can’t get to the gear I need.
I received my Xpro C yesterday. Not had a chance to try it yet. Hopefully I can try it tomorrow.

Here's the results of some testing I did with the Safari II and the Yongnuo YN622N-TX

Optimising the trigger:-
http://owenlloydphotography.com/?p=2515

...and outside for some practical tests:-
http://owenlloydphotography.com/?p=2674

Like Phil - I can't quite justify replacing the Safari with an AD600 for the odd occasion I might need to shoot at higher shutter speeds with a big light (and of course you only need tail sync or HSS when you actually need a high shutter speed, as opposed to it just being a side effect of a wide aperture - for which I can just slap on a 3 or 6 stop ND). Plus - the Safari II is built like a tank :)

Owen, have you tried balancing the flash fall-off against the inverse square law fall-off?

If found that with a softbox used quite close, they would cancel each other out pretty well - so long as the top of the camera is on the same side as the light :)

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on if an X-pro c controlling an ad200 will work mounted on top of a pocketwizard mini tt1 controlling speedlites.......just to get me by till I win the lottery....[emoji33] appreciate that means there is nowhere to put an ac-3 controller........can see there being a lot of second hand stuff for sale after Christmas...........

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on if an X-pro c controlling an ad200 will work mounted on top of a pocketwizard mini tt1 controlling speedlites.......just to get me by till I win the lottery....[emoji33] appreciate that means there is nowhere to put an ac-3 controller........can see there being a lot of second hand stuff for sale after Christmas...........
The only way to check is to try it, it’s a bit of a niche question for something that’s just been released. I wouldn’t bank on it personally,

The only way to check is to try it, it’s a bit of a niche question for something that’s just been released. I wouldn’t bank on it personally,

Yes Phil ..... I would agree ..... on an aside the ad200 is on order (2 weeks) ... at first Lencarta couldn’t supply an xpro trigger but a chappie sorted it on online chat again in about 2 weeks...overall a good experience...so cheers for the heads up.... nice to have that guarantee/ warranty.....[emoji106]

Owen, have you tried balancing the flash fall-off against the inverse square law fall-off?

If found that with a softbox used quite close, they would cancel each other out pretty well - so long as the top of the camera is on the same side as the light :)
I haven't tried that, but great idea, or get even faster fall-off by combining the light tail-off with the spread fall-off :D We did work out we could aim the centre of the light into the fall-off zone a bit with a metal reflector on the light, to even it out a bit. Here's one I did with a really slow 300Joule monoblock (Viewfinder CF-D300) powered by an LP800. The light spread is a bit more even with this light - I reckon you'd need a calendar to measure the flash duration on this thing:-
https://www.flickr.com/photos/owenlloyd/34479080726/in/dateposted/ Short BTS clip (which sadly doesn't show me on the floor or the light :p ) https://photos.app.goo.gl/AcAwIFqpogS2gYSG3

Back