Godox AD100

Name
Tommy
Edit My Images
No
Anyone got these and have any thoughts on them.

Was debating grabbing one as an alternative to AD200’s that I already have as something that I can just throw in a big and grab at a wedding when needed.

I am aware they aren’t as powerful as the AD200 even though they are similar price and only a little more powerful than a normal flash.

At the same price, I'd take an AD200 any day of the week. The AD200 is probably the most versatile light I own - forward throwing speedlight style head with 200J, plus a nice centred curly bulb for softboxes, big Fresnel attachments and other reflectors. In a pinch I can use it as a video light with the LED head. It's also a stop brighter. If I need anything less powerful, V860-IIs are £150

At the same price, I'd take an AD200 any day of the week. The AD200 is probably the most versatile light I own - forward throwing speedlight style head with 200J, plus a nice centred curly bulb for softboxes, big Fresnel attachments and other reflectors. In a pinch I can use it as a video light with the LED head. It's also a stop brighter. If I need anything less powerful, V860-IIs are £150

But if you need the round head then we only have about 1/10 or 2/10 stop difference and for that use it is far more powerful than the V1, but totally agree as a general light the AD200 is hard to beat.

Mike

I have AD200's already but rarely use them as too much faffing about at a wedding, thought the AD100 might be something I can just grab from the bag quickly and maybe be more likely to use it, but we will see.

I have AD200's already but rarely use them as too much faffing about at a wedding, thought the AD100 might be something I can just grab from the bag quickly and maybe be more likely to use it, but we will see.

Not sure how the AD100 would be more convenient than the AD200. They both mount to a stand in the same way. If you have AD200s in your bag with the Fresnel head on - surely you just take them out and turn them on just like an AD100?

The only thing they won't do is mount on the camera hotshoe. Otherwise they are super portable for essentially a studio light. I still keep the canon in case I will need to use it on camera but probably will replace it with v1.

Not sure how the AD100 would be more convenient than the AD200. They both mount to a stand in the same way. If you have AD200s in your bag with the Fresnel head on - surely you just take them out and turn them on just like an AD100?

Native Round Head for use with the AK-R1 kit

Mike

The extra portability makes it much more convenient for me but we will see once it arrives and I have a chance to use it.

The extra portability makes it much more convenient for me but we will see once it arrives and I have a chance to use it.
It is a bit lighter I guess, although I've never really seen the weight of an AD200 as a problem tbh. V860's are a bit lighter still mind.

Fair enough - although there are plenty of similar rectangular attachments.

Yes but the beauty is that they are the same as the V1 and as to the weight issue it is only slightly heavier than a V860 but more powerful which means when used at the same power the AD100 battery has a longer life - IMHO the AD100Pro has a niche role and if I were starting today I would probably have a different collection of lights

Mike

Yes but the beauty is that they are the same as the V1 and as to the weight issue it is only slightly heavier than a V860 but more powerful which means when used at the same power the AD100 battery has a longer life - IMHO the AD100Pro has a niche role and if I were starting today I would probably have a different collection of lights

Mike

But V1 / V680 can go on the camera whereas this can not. Considering similar output I know which one I'd pick.

In fact I like AD200 because of the rectangular shape. They are just barely bigger than 600EX-RT can pack flat on top of each other (or mix with the canon) in my camera bag if I ever needed to. Of course I tend to use them 95% with bare bulb on stands with modifiers so that's quite different. Probably next one will be 300Pro or 400Pro in case I need more power.

Of course I tend to use them 95% with bare bulb on stands with modifiers so that's quite different.
And that's usually the best way to use a strobe... otherwise, you might as well use a speedlight.
I really don't understand the trend of putting fixed reflectors and flat plates on strobes; just to create a problem you then have to try to overcome with another accessory (frosted dome). I can kind of see it if the intended use is as a bare light for fashion photography.

But V1 / V680 can go on the camera whereas this can not. Considering similar output I know which one I'd pick.

Think of it as an off camera V1 with more power (also more power than V860II) and also more power than an AD200 with the HR200 round head, so not a substitute for a V1 or V860II or an AD200 with bulb or Fresnel but a niche piece of equipment
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwpnQSVxBio&t=63s

I have the V1, V860II and AD200PRO so I don't really need this but I can see where someone starting from scratch could fit it into their system

Mike

Typical Lencarta have made a complete mess of my order and it’s now been cancelled. Have had to place an order for one elsewhere.

Not the first time Lencarta have been very poor but it will be the last time I order anything from them.

Typical Lencarta have made a complete mess of my order and it’s now been cancelled. Have had to place an order for one elsewhere.

Not the first time Lencarta have been very poor but it will be the last time I order anything from them.

I’ve just bought two citi300 from Pixapro as Lencarta were giving wrong tech info and were out of stock. They seem to have lost their way over the last couple of years

As your primary go-to light, the key light in a set-up, I don't think the AD100 makes a great deal of sense when better alternatives are so readily available.

But as a secondary light, an accent light, a hair or background light where you often don't need as much power, it's just the job. These are positions where a nice circular cone of light is most likely to be beneficial, along with the option to use gels and grids, barndoors and snoot etc. It's wonderfully handy for all those important things.

TBH I think that's what it was probably designed for, and not for shoving inside a massive softbox and cranking up the ISO while trying to pretend you don't need more power. And I don't care how cute it is

As your primary go-to light, the key light in a set-up, I don't think the AD100 makes a great deal of sense when better alternatives are so readily available.

But as a secondary light, an accent light, a hair or background light where you often don't need as much power, it's just the job. These are positions where a nice circular cone of light is most likely to be beneficial, along with the option to use gels and grids, barndoors and snoot etc. It's wonderfully handy for all those important things.

TBH I think that's what it was probably designed for, and not for shoving inside a massive softbox and cranking up the ISO while trying to pretend you don't need more power. And I don't care how cute it is

Exactly this!

My AD100 arrived today only had a quick chance to try it out but it performs as expected and the small size is great. It is a lot more powerful than I expected it to be. I have a wedding tomorrow and will bring it along but don’t expect to get the opportunity to use it, but you never know.

It came with a handle not sure they do as standard. Makes it look a bit like a speed gun or Thor’s hammer. :ROFLMAO: The handle will actually be quite useful, I am thinking I can use it and shoot one handed on the dance floor. I used to do this with an AD200 and it worked well but was a bit cumbersome due to the size.

558665D0-4FB3-4A90-9DE5-64957D2A6F13.jpeg

I'll be interested to see how you get on with these.

I have been using Nikon SB910's with pocket wizard flex triggers from many years now, but as our line of work is pretty hard wearing they have become unreliable - the contacts/hotshoe mounts are awful, and they often fail on shoots where were have a footballer/manager for only a couple of minutes.

We have AD200's in the office and they are great, but have been looking at some of their other products after a colleague told me he picked up a couple of AD300's.

My SB910's are 100w/s, so I'm maybe looking for something in that range, that I believe the AD100's are.

Back