Godox AD200

I think this is a bit of a landmark move, putting Godox/Lencarta on a par with the big established brands. Pretty vital for many users, as quite apart from any unknown reliability issues, location flash is by its nature very prone to accident damage.

How many of the other 'new-age Chinese' manufacturers have proper UK-based service and support? I can only think of Phottix via importers Intro2020. Edit: correction, not Intro2020 now, but Mac Group.
Thanks for that.
To be clear though, this is a Lencarta initiative, to provide customer support for Lencarta customers, it doesn't cover products sold by others.
It started over 5 years ago and has improved over time. Getting the repairs done at a separate location wasn't ideal so when it became possible to bring the service in house, this was done. It's really about growth, taking on extra staff, which made it possible to reorganise the warehouse and make much more efficient use of the space, and also now having an additional Chinese speaking staff member who can talk to the factory engineers in their own language to buy the parts from the factories (which of course means proficiency not only in the Chinese language but also on the technical front) - not an easy job in itself, but it's all come together now.

It's all about treating customers fairly, both within the warranty period and beyond it, because without a repair department the customers would be totally on their own once the warranty had expired and, where accidental damage occurs (which as you rightly point out is a real problem especially with location flash) there would be no support even within the warranty period.

It all comes down to treating people the way we all expect to be treated ourselves - nobody would buy a car that they can't get repaired, so why should they have problems if they buy lighting equipment?

I think this is a bit of a landmark move, putting Godox/Lencarta on a par with the big established brands. Pretty vital for many users, as quite apart from any unknown reliability issues, location flash is by its nature very prone to accident damage.

How many of the other 'new-age Chinese' manufacturers have proper UK-based service and support? I can only think of Phottix via importers Intro2020. Edit: correction, not Intro2020 now, but Mac Group.
I don't think anyone over here in the US is offering extended warranty/service. Adorama has a lock on most Godox kit (rebranded as flashpoint) but only offer the 1yr manufacturer's warranty.

I don't think anyone over here in the US is offering extended warranty/service. Adorama has a lock on most Godox kit (rebranded as flashpoint) but only offer the 1yr manufacturer's warranty.

So what happens if you have a problem with a Flashpoint-branded Godox product from Adorama, either in or out of warranty? Surely they won't leave you high and dry?!

TBH I'm not that fussed about warranty. Good products just don't break down these days (I tend to avoid being an early adopter of new stuff) so I'll take that risk. But if one of my lights takes a nasty tumble* and needs accident repair, I want to know I can get it fixed promptly, easily, and at fair cost - without any hassle and without shipping it off to China for months. These more expensive higher-end products are not the same as 'disposable' £50 speedlights. IMHO, what Lencarta is doing is the best possible news (y)

*Is there anyone who does location work never had a softbox blow over? It's only a matter of time :eek:

So what happens if you have a problem with a Flashpoint-branded Godox product from Adorama, either in or out of warranty? Surely they won't leave you high and dry?!
I can't say... I haven't used their warranty/service before. AFAIK Adorama doesn't really service equipment (only the very most basic camera/lens service/repairs). They sell an optional Mack service/repair warranty... never used that either.

You really don't want Adorama customer support... yes they'll help you eventually but it'll be on their terms and probably from a situation they caused.

I think they're the only big retailer that has ever sold me second hand goods as new but I don't order from America too often so maybe they're all at it over there.

Found out that the displays (AD200, XT1) are about useless in bright daylight... and there is no adjustability that I can find :( (yes, I read the manual).

There also appears to be no real benefit to the fresnel head other than size/durability, and the pattern (35mm) is not tight enough for most uses IMO. I hope they come out with a zoom head (either adjustable, or tighter pattern/longer throw).

Found out that the displays (AD200, XT1) are about useless in bright daylight... and there is no adjustability that I can find :( (yes, I read the manual).

You shouldn't really need a control panel at all - do everything from the remote control trigger. I'd be happy with a very basic status LCD, no controls, just for visual confirmation of settings

There also appears to be no real benefit to the fresnel head other than size/durability, and the pattern (35mm) is not tight enough for most uses IMO. I hope they come out with a zoom head (either adjustable, or tighter pattern/longer throw).

The Fresnel head is just a handy/portable size thing isn't it, for direct flash? A similar modifier on the bare-bulb head would be about 6in across. A zooming Fresnel head will be coming along soon I'm sure, and that's what I'd like to use for controlled bouncing mainly, but it'll add maybe a couple of inches to the length.

That's the great thing about a modular system, you can go on adding different bits to it - and giving Godox more money - on a regular basis ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
... A zooming Fresnel head will be coming along soon I'm sure, and that's what I'd like to use for controlled bouncing mainly, but it'll add maybe a couple of inches to the length.

Who'd complain at a couple of inches extra length? :exit:

You shouldn't really need a control panel at all - do everything from the remote control trigger. I'd be happy with a very basic status LCD, no controls, just for visual confirmation of settings
The XT1 is awful hard to see as well, but better than the AD200... mode and connection status led's would be better.

The Fresnel head is just a handy/portable size thing isn't it, for direct flash?
Yeah, it's more compact and you don't have to worry about a more fragile exposed bulb. But you loose 8m from the GN and it's a smaller area of illumination (standard reflector). Basically, there really isn't any upside as the 35* pattern isn't much smaller than the standard reflector's 28*... it's not like the AD200 is a speedlight replacement for on-camera work... although I'm trying :D .
The Fresnel head is just a handy/portable size thing isn't it, for direct flash? A similar modifier on the bare-bulb head would be about 6in across. A zooming Fresnel head will be coming along soon I'm sure, and that's what I'd like to use for controlled bouncing mainly, but it'll add maybe a couple of inches to the length.

That's the great thing about a modular system, you can go on adding different bits to it - and giving Godox more money - on a regular basis ;)
I'm considering the MagMod MagBeam... damn it...

Last edited:
The XT1 is awful hard to see as well, but better than the AD200... mode and connection status led's would be better. <snip>

I've heard that, but also that Godox is currently revising the XT1.

I think it's time someone put some real thought into remote triggers. They just seem to have evolved somewhat haphazardly as extra features have been bolted on, but we're now in a different position where the remote control trigger is the main user-interface and assumes central importance. They're remarkably cheap now, but I'd be very willing to pay a lot more for something much better, with more direct-access buttons and dials and a high quality tactile feel. How about a tilting colour touch-screen, with auto ambient brightness sensing? That'd be sweet (y)

Anyone out there know if the bowens/elinchrom adapters have been improved? I bought one a while ago for a different purpose and the locking handle broke on first use - not very impressed :/

Got half a dozen and never had an issue or foresee one, seem to be able to take the strain of me adjusting them

mike

And I've found the opposite. Since getting two I've literally never used the bare bulb heads.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do

And I've found the opposite. Since getting two I've literally never used the bare bulb heads.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do
I use the fresnel head a lot for unmodified lighting simply due to the compactness/convenience (no reflector, no exposed bulb). But you get somewhat less output in a somewhat smaller pattern, so in terms of "light" I don't see any benefit.

Back