Godox AD600PRO

The Bron isn't really comparable and shouldn't have been included TBH. HSS and HS are different, plus the Bron system is completely different and super-highend. They're not playing the same game.

Godox AD600-Pro wins pretty easily against Profoto B1X, on the small stuff as well as the headlines - more powerful, faster recycle, great colour, brighter in HSS mode (though I don't believe his meter readings for a minute*) and brighter modelling LED. Robert Hall doesn't seem bothered about the modelling LED but it's crucial to those that want a single unit which works just as well in the studio. Plus Godox has the modular extension head, a killer feature for use on high stands, or a boom or as a shoulder pack. And all that's before we come to the price - half or a third the cost of Profoto, depending on what you compare. Everything else pales into insignificance. Even if Profoto was better, it's simply unaffordable and unjustifiable for many people like me - it's not even on the agenda.

If it was, I'd also be looking at the new Elinchrom ELB500-TTL that is now a close competitor on specs even if also at Profoto prices. And with compatibility with Phottix Mitros speedlights and Indra heads, Elinchrom has played a clever hand to deliver what is in effect a similar system to Godox at a single stroke. TBH I'm surprised it's not getting the same kind of attention on the forums as Godox and Profoto, early days I guess.

*No meter can accurately measure HSS output (or HS) unless it knows exactly which part, and how much, of the flash output is being captured by the camera. Different cameras vary, with further changes according to the sync timing off-set. I'm not sure how useful the Sekonic 858 meter is in this respect, if at all, but there is an easy and accurate way to measure HSS and HS output - you simply take a picture. With a properly controlled set-up, and using the same camera at same shutter speeds, you get all the answers.

The Bron isn't really comparable and shouldn't have been included TBH. HSS and HS are different, plus the Bron system is completely different and super-highend. They're not playing the same game.

What makes the Bron so special in your view?

TBH I'm surprised it's not getting the same kind of attention on the forums as Godox and Profoto, early days I guess.

I think it has a lot to do with the price and a trend towards monoblocks.

What makes the Bron so special in your view?

Nothing!

I think it has a lot to do with the price and a trend towards monoblocks.

Yes, probably. But when I eventually get a couple of AD600-Pro heads, I expect I'll be using them with the extension head a lot of the time. It's not completely cable-free then of course, but you can't trip over a cable running up the stand and it's still mains-free. AD600-Pro is not particularly heavy and there are plenty of mains-only monoblocks that weigh the same or even a bit more, but given the option of not having 3kg waving around on the top of a stand just sounds like a good idea, especially outdoors. I expect that's what Elinchrom is thinking with the ELB500-TTL.

So isn't it valid to add it to the comparison?

Yes, probably. But when I eventually get a couple of AD600-Pro heads, I expect I'll be using them with the extension head a lot of the time. It's not completely cable-free then of course, but you can't trip over a cable running up the stand and it's still mains-free. AD600-Pro is not particularly heavy and there are plenty of mains-only monoblocks that weigh the same or even a bit more, but given the option of not having 3kg waving around on the top of a stand just sounds like a good idea, especially outdoors.

Yes he was wrong not to mention those benefits of the Godox system, they're great features that distinguish it from the competition at least as much as the crappy Profoto OCF modifiers.

I expect that's what Elinchrom is thinking with the ELB500-TTL.

I think that's being incredibly generous. I suspect either the ELB 400 or 500 was rushed out to fill a gap in their line up and the advantages of a pack/cable/head system have more to do with that's the base they worked from rather than being the best possible result.

So isn't it valid to add it to the comparison?

It's kinda similar, but I wouldn't include it in a comparison review like that - which is really prompted by the AD600-Pro's arrival and, I would say, how similar eco-systems compare like the Profoto B1X plus B2 and A1 speedlight, Phottix Indras plus Mitros speedlights, and now Elinchrom ELB500-TTL plus Phottix Indra and Mitros compatibility through the very good Phottix Odin TTL system. All those brands might be on the same shopping list, but not Broncolor - different animal IMHO. AD600-Pro is top of the Godox range, Siros is bottom of Bron.

Yes he was wrong not to mention those benefits of the Godox system, they're great features that distinguish it from the competition at least as much as the crappy Profoto OCF modifiers.

(y)

I think that's being incredibly generous. I suspect either the ELB 400 or 500 was rushed out to fill a gap in their line up and the advantages of a pack/cable/head system have more to do with that's the base they worked from rather than being the best possible result.

Possibly/probably ;) Or maybe you're being incredibly cynical :D You could argue it quite convincingly either way I think, but there's no doubt that Godox has played it very well by offering the best of both designs.

Looks like Robert H messed up somewhat in the Godox vs Bron vs Profoto video linked above, with some fairly major oversights and errors. Credit to him, he's owned up to at least a few of them in this update.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8OyXnlT3M

Last edited:
Prices of the old AD600 models are dropping. Just got an email from Essential Photo with £100 off the AD600-TTL down to £515, and £50 off the AD600-M at £400. That makes the manual version half the cost of an AD600-Pro.

On the one hand I'm grateful to know but on the other I'm having to resist the urge to buy a spare AD600M...

Does make the pricing structure look weird though, they're selling the AD360 for the same price as the AD600.

On the one hand I'm grateful to know but on the other I'm having to resist the urge to buy a spare AD600M...

Does make the pricing structure look weird though, they're selling the AD360 for the same price as the AD600.

It's a rare one-off bargain and probably won't be repeated I think. Both the original AD600 versions are now discontinued (pretty sure) and the manual model unlikely to be replaced.

Both the original AD600 versions are now discontinued (pretty sure) and the manual model unlikely to be replaced.

Wait, what? I was under the impression they would keep making both the AD600 and Pro versions?

Would make more sense though, they'd have a nice gap between the AD360 and AD600Pro for a monoblock in the 400Ws range.

Wait, what? I was under the impression they would keep making both the AD600 and Pro versions?

Would make more sense though, they'd have a nice gap between the AD360 and AD600Pro for a monoblock in the 400Ws range.

Who knows! Which is why I said 'pretty sure' but from what I've read the plan is that the AD600-M won't be replaced, and my hunch is that the original TTL version will follow suit.

Crystal ball gazing, but even when the AD600-Pro price settles, say to £700, there will still be a price gap to fill between lower models. So the AD600-TTL could continue to fit that, or Godox could change their minds and bring out an AD600-Pro M after all, just to fill the slot. From a marketing and system perspective, a new 400Ws version AD400-Pro is another possibility but knowing Godox anything could happen.

The main point for me though is, right now, for a high quality 600Ws battery strobe, the AD600-M is unlikely to be beaten on price any time soon. Unless they knock another 50 quid off it!

It's a rare one-off bargain and probably won't be repeated I think. Both the original AD600 versions are now discontinued (pretty sure) and the manual model unlikely to be replaced.

Best info I have is that they are not discontinued as more USA dealers are being allowed to stock them

Mike

Thought I'd tag a bit more info on here, from Robert Hall on the AD600-Pro and specifically the 38w modelling LED.

- It's now bright enough for video indoors (though pretty useless outdoors). FlashHavoc tested it at 1.6 stops brighter than the 10w LED of the original AD600 and it's now on par with mains powered halogen modelling lamps
- It will run for 1hr 41mins on a full battery charge, at brightest setting
- The cooling fan is almost inaudible in videos when properly miked up

That sounds very handy to me and would add:
- FlashHavoc measured the LED at 4679K with a CRI of 91, which isn't bad considering it's not a proper video light
- For portraits, it's bright enough to close down the sitter's pupils, which I like

Robert Hall link
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Xjb26wklI

Last edited:
So what’s the best price people have found for the Godox AD600pro ?

I’m just about to return one of my AD600Pros to Lencarta for repair/replacement due to the fact that it won’t take the most recent firmware update. It has worked a couple of times but then keeps beeping and showing “Error 9”. Possibly bricked.

Worrying/annoying really, I’ve followed all the instructions from power dumping to fresh downloads, also ran it via a Virtual Windows session on my Macs and on a dedicated Windows machine.

I’ve not heard of this being a widespread problem but hopefully for me it will be a one-off.

And Error 9 is back again, despite Lencarta fully testing the light over the Christmas period. Initially they found no fault but then it developed. They applied the firmware, tested it fully, sent it to me, it worked, then I charged the empty battery and it came up with the error after switching it on.

Some digging in the FB Godox User Group led me to someone in the US who had the same error, first replacement also had the error(!) but second replacement is working fine. She raised it with B&H who in turn have taken it up with Godox Head Office. It points to a potential dodgy batch being out there but also perhaps that Error 9 could cover more than one condition and perhaps that isn't documented anywhere - be warned . . .

I'm pushing for a replacement light from Lencarta as I can't work with something that flits between a light and a brick.

UPDATE: Light replaced by Lencarta - so far, so good!

Last edited:
And another thing :DCan the battery be charged while the head is actually working?

It's an unusual feature, but you could do that with the AD600 and it's very useful when mains power is to hand. I checked it with a half-charged battery by firing the head at very low power on a timer, once every ten seconds I think, just to make sure it was fully alive. Left it running, then noted that both battery charge indicators went up.

WARNING - more information on this, don't do it. Not recommended, maybe even dangerous.

It's not recommended by Godox and in the video below at around 3.05mins, Godox is now specifically advising against it. Robert Hall mentions things like possible battery instability and damage. Even if that's a remote possibility, these things pack an enormous amount of energy so not a risk worth taking until Godox can make it safe.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSFNQ-v0yYU

Back