Godox Flash Set Up

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I am now, thanks to Andy Taylor the proud owner of 2 *TT685 Flashes and an X1T trigger so a quick question about the set up please.
If I want to use two flashes , one as key light and one as fill light and control them individually then I assume one is in group A and the other in group B ( or whatever) do I have to set each group to a different channel or do they all use the same.
Many Thanks

chris

I'm pretty sure you use the same channel and different groups.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the channels might be for if there was another photographer working nearby, then they would use a different channel.
Absolutely correct.

No, use the same channel or nothing will work for you, but assign a different group to each flash and set both flashes to receive, since you will be firing them from a transmitter on your camera. Then you can adjust the flash in group A separately from group B or C, etc. It is possible, if you need more light, like pairing 2 speedlites in a single softbox, to set both to the same group. This will cause both to follow the same adjustments from the transmitter.

These speedlights can be a transmitter on the camera or a receiver and flash. It's best to work with them as just receivers, but remember that you can put one on the camera and set it to be a transmitter to control your other speedlites too, just in case sometime you might need the capability. I also have never found the need to use the ID function. I suppose, in a very crowded gathering with wireless flash units and cameras everywhere, this ID number would help to avoid someone else controlling your flashes if they were using the same channel., but I avoid crowds as much as possible, so I never have found a need to use the ID function.

I usually assign group A to my key light and B to the second light, etc. up to group E for 5 lights. Your flash trigger can only control 5 groups, but if you had a second X1 flash transmitter, you could stack it on top of this transmitter, set it and the second set of flash units to a different channel (but not an adjacent channel) and have 5 more groups of flashes to work with. This works, but you would be better off getting an X Pro transmitter and setting it to control 16 groups all on the same channel, if you should ever need more than A-E. Going with more than 5 will require switching the setup within an X Pro transmitter from 5 group limit to 16 group limit and doing this prevents the TTL setting from working, but you get many more groups to work with. When you have this many groups of lights I doubt you would ever want to use TTL anyway.

I made the switch to Godox/Flashpoint (just rebranded Godox) about 2 years ago, stacking my old flash transmitter on top of a Godox X2T transmitter until I could phase out my old flash equipment and replace them with Godox and Flashpoint was a transition step. I now have 7 monolights and 5 speedlites, and 3 Godox X Pro transmitters (1 for each camera). The X2T transmitter is now a spare, but it travels with the speedlites in case I have a problem with the X Pro when working out of my studio, since I have never had a need for more than 5 speedlites in the field..

Send me a PM or reply to this post if you need more help. I've been very happy with my Godox/Flashpoint lights and have no desire to go back to any of my prior flash control systems, I've worked with them enough to become quite proficient at making adjustments to them so I feel confident that I can help you with most any problem..

Charley

Last edited:
Many thanks for your kind offer,so far I am getting on reasonably well but if I need help I will take up your offer

Back