Godox - Which system to purchase?

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the market for a heavier duty Flash system. I currently use multiple Yonguno Systems for OCF work during weddings and some commerical work. Although the Yongnuo Flashguns have done well at recent weddings I have struggled with not having enough power.

After doing some research I have come across the following two options.

Godox RS600P - £335

Godox AD600BM - £452

Has anybody got any comments of things I may not have considered with regards to the two. I cant really find many reviews comparing the two.

I have the TTL version of the AD600 and the RS600p so what would you like to know?

Mike

Excellent - so if you have both, why do you have both? and in which situation do you use each one?

I think looking at the specs and info the power seems the same, the look around the same weight, you can add the different head to the AD600 to make it similar appearance to the RS600 so I guess I just cant really make my mind up of which would be most suitable for my purposes.

Is there a difference in quality between them?

Thanks
Stephen.

Easiest difference to spot is that the ad600 battery is part of the unit, no separate battery pack as standard, the RS battery is always separate in the pack.
You can buy the optional extension cable for the AD to use the head remotely if you want.
Then there is the ttl if you want ti use it.

HTH.

Easiest difference to spot is that the ad600 battery is part of the unit, no separate battery pack as standard, the RS battery is always separate in the pack.
You can buy the optional extension cable for the AD to use the head remotely if you want.
Then there is the ttl if you want ti use it.

HTH.

Thanks David.

Have you used either system? What do you think of them?

Excellent - so if you have both, why do you have both? and in which situation do you use each one?

I bought the RS600p a couple of years ago and have no issue with them but I have purchased the AD600 because it all integrates with the AD360 and V860 under the same controller. As an event photographer I have to be adaptable and I have a number of systems that do not fully integrate with each other whereas all of the new Godox system with X1 radio will play nicely together. The AD600B has TTL, not that I really need it but it is a nice to have. The built in receiver can work with their Canon, Sony and Nikon X1 trigger, as can all their lights with X1 receivers built in. There is no other system like it, 3 different sizes of battery flash and also a Mains powered studio flash. Just read this http://flashhavoc.com/godox-flash-system-overview/

I think looking at the specs and info the power seems the same, the look around the same weight, you can add the different head to the AD600 to make it similar appearance to the RS600 so I guess I just cant really make my mind up of which would be most suitable for my purposes.

Is there a difference in quality between them?.

Obviously the AD600 is a couple of years newer in design but both have a solid feel to them. The remote head on the AD600 was the deciding factor as the light can be used in many ways but you also have nice little added features on the AD600 due to the large LCD panel and who knows what firmware upgrades there will be, potentially we could see other systems such as Fuji added in and then there is plug and play HSS (High Speed Sync) - just set the camera above flash sync and it all works automatically.

I suppose the question is if I had never bought the RS600p or AD600 and I was sat there today looking at what to buy knowing what I know now then definitely I would go for the AD600.

I now 2 AD600B, 2 AD360NII, 2 V860NII which means that I will have to start looking for homes for the 2 RS600p and 2 AD360 ;)

Mike

I suppose the question is if I had never bought the RS600p or AD600 and I was sat there today looking at what to buy knowing what I know now then definitely I would go for the AD600.

Mike

I think that is question I wanted answering Mike. Thanks for your time.

I think Mike has answered any and all your questions very comprehensively.
I have the Lencarta version of the AD360 which I have used and am very pleased with, and also have recently purchased the AD600BM, ttl version.
An imminent house move means that I haven't yet used it for a session, but am looking forward to using both together with the trigger system.

Interesting discussion.

Mike, does the Godox system integrate at all with Pocket Wizard triggers?

Mike,

That is exactly the info that I needed to know and didn't seem to be answered fully elsewhere.

Many thanks.

I think Mike has answered any and all your questions very comprehensively.
I have the Lencarta version of the AD360 which I have used and am very pleased with, and also have recently purchased the AD600BM, .

David so do the Lencarta and Godox systems work together - I am aware the manufacturing is linked but do they actually communicate with each other?

You need the godox receiver for the lencarta, then they can be controlled from the same godox trigger. The lencarta is a rebadged version of the godox, but Garry tells us that the internals are not identical.
There is no receiver built in to the 360, it comes with an usb plug-in receiver but it's a different system. Buy a godox X1 system receiver and they all work

Last edited:
David so do the Lencarta and Godox systems work together - I am aware the manufacturing is linked but do they actually communicate with each other?
Yes.
But with caveats, the new AD has a new trigger system, so to communicate with the older system you need new receivers, the good news is that the receivers will still control the light power etc.

Lencarta sell the Safari2 which is based on the rs600 unit and the Atom which is a rebadged AD360, the newer AD360II has TTL like the TTL version of the AD600 and Lencarta aren't selling that version.

If you want a reseller with a warranty, it's probably Essential Photo

Yes.
But with caveats, the new AD has a new trigger system, so to communicate with the older system you need new receivers, the good news is that the receivers will still control the light power etc.

Lencarta sell the Safari2 which is based on the rs600 unit and the Atom which is a rebadged AD360, the newer AD360II has TTL like the TTL version of the AD600 and Lencarta aren't selling that version.

If you want a reseller with a warranty, it's probably Essential Photo

Thanks Phil - I believe I have seen before that you have both Safari and Atom devices. If you were starting fresh now, but with your knowledge and experience what route would you go down? would you even consider the AD600?

Thanks Phil - I believe I have seen before that you have both Safari and Atom devices. If you were starting fresh now, but with your knowledge and experience what route would you go down? would you even consider the AD600?
Starting from scratch, I'd go for the AD600, for all the reasons Mike has said.

Godox have by far the best integrated flash system on the market.

I don't have any 'problems' not having ETTL on the Safari and AD360 and I can integrate the them with my speedlights using my Yongnuo triggers. But proper HSS would make life easier and ETTL is a great safety net to have.

Excellent info from Mike W (y) Photomart is another UK retailer that will have the AD600 in stock any day now and claim to price-match.

Another nice looking Godox product is the AR400 ringflash, that appears to be basically an AD360 in an integrated package with battery. It can also be used as a studio head, firing into an umbrella.

Depends on who the vendor is, if warranty is still in effect but that is no different to many other makes

Mike

That is fine if the warranty is there - they just replace the unit with a new one. But what if the warranty is no longer in effect?

That looks remarkably like "don't know". I've seen people who were stung by overseas imports before. Reminds me of an incident in my local camera repair shop a couple of years back. While I was in to collect a lens , someone else came in to enquire about repairs due to damage caused by humidity. The shop couldn't help them because there were no stockists they could source replacement parts from.

That looks remarkably like "don't know". I've seen people who were stung by overseas imports before. Reminds me of an incident in my local camera repair shop a couple of years back. While I was in to collect a lens , someone else came in to enquire about repairs due to damage caused by humidity. The shop couldn't help them because there were no stockists they could source replacement parts from.

I should have remembered, Mr negative troll from before, whatever the issue, come out from under the bridge, use a real name and I will listen.

Mike

Far from it. It is a valid question which if you are spending £450 on, it is legitimate to expect an answer to. I have been searching the internet but cannot find anyone who services them. So - what happens if it breaks?

Far from it. It is a valid question which if you are spending £450 on, it is legitimate to expect an answer to. I have been searching the internet but cannot find anyone who services them. So - what happens if it breaks?
I think that the question is completely valid. We are constantly being asked to repair Godox equipment but can't (and won't) and assume that we're being asked to do it because the seller can't or won't. We do of course repair the equipment we've supplied, both in and out of warranty, and we can do so because we have the skills, tech info and parts. AFAIK nobody else has sent techies over to the factory for training, so I don't see how they can offer ANY support once the warranty has finished . And not all sellers even offer a real warranty anyway, I know one firm whose warranty doesn't even cover wear and tear, presumably their customers don't bother to actually read the T&C

Service and repairs is certainly a very valid question, and it has to be said that with Godox the situation doesn't look great. It's the same with a lot of products now, that don't have an official UK distributor to handle repairs - and that's one of the main reasons why prices are lower. It's quite possible though, that if there is sufficient demand, an independent repair shop will take on this work at affordable cost (though I'm not holding my breath).

But right now, if you buy Godox or Yongnuo or whatever, you have to take a view on the risk and make an allowance. I've just done that in a modest way with four Yongnuo speedlites and Tx unit. I rarely use all four together, but even if I do and one goes down, I can finish the job with three. If the Tx goes pop, then I have four guns that also have master/Tx capability so I'm covered there. And having used YN stuff for a few years now, they've been totally reliable anyway.

Then I just buy a new replacement for £80. TBH, that's a better option than all the hassle and wasted time/money on a repair that would likely cost more than £80 on a Canon gun that was £400 in the first place.

With bigger cost items like the Godox AD600, the same principle applies, because the prices are so low. You can buy two or three or more for the price of one Profoto or Elinchrom. It's a different way of doing things, and Chinese manufacturers are working to a very different business model than the old established brands. But by the same token, if we want the big up-front savings, we also need to understand that the rules have changed.

Last edited:
Service and repairs is certainly a very valid question, and it has to be said that with Godox the situation doesn't look great. It's the same with a lot of products now, that don't have an official UK distributor to handle repairs - and that's one of the main reasons why prices are lower. It's quite possible though, that if there is sufficient demand, an independent repair shop will take on this work at affordable cost (though I'm not holding my breath).
True, but only if the manufacturer makes parts, and their trade secrets, available to potential repairers - what are the chances of that happening? Manufacturers don't actually want their products to last, becasue they want the public to keep buying new products. And what are the chances when the manufacturers don't even begin to understand the concept of customer service, because it doesn't exist in their own country? The system works in China because nearly everything is sold on price alone and if a few customers get upset so what? There are another 1.3 billion to sell to. But in this country, we have transport costs, import duty, VAT, business rates, high wages etc etc and because of this prices are considerably higher, the public expect their expensive toys to last but there's no profit, or infrastructure, available to support the customers - so for most firms, providing REAL customer service isn't even an option when they are competing with the manufacturers selling direct, and with other sellers who evade taxes and import duty.

It's all very well buying cheap bits and pieces from the internet, bits that don't have complicated electronics and that won't kill you if they go wrong, and where the cost is so low that everyone can just afford to throw the product away without a moment's thought, but IMO it's very different with complex electronic equipment that isn't cheap, and which has the potential to cause serious harm if it hasn't been made or designed properly or which doesn't comply with safety regulations - I'm talking here about the situation in general, not about any specific firms of course.

There is a lot that I could say about the way that lighting is going at the moment, but I won't.
Just bear in mind though that I do have some actual, real knowledge about it, after all I've visited all of the Chinese factories worth visiting, I've had endless meetings with their bosses, and I've also had in depth conversations with their engineers. And I fully understand the Chinese business model, which relies on volume, volume and volume.

There is a lot that I could say about the way that lighting is going at the moment, but I won't.

Gary I understand you might not answer but have Lencarta got any development plans to make something like the Godox AD600/Pixapro 600. If you are able to say that there are no plans then is there a reason why Lencarta would not release this sort of product?

The advice seems to be to look seriously at the AD600 as a device that will fit my purpose. And I think it probably will. But obviously now towards making that decision am looking at support and warranties and realising they are lacking. So wondering if its worth getting the Pixapro version which seems to have a support line.

With bigger cost items like the Godox AD600, the same principle applies, because the prices are so low. You can buy two or three or more for the price of one Profoto or Elinchrom. It's a different way of doing things, and Chinese manufacturers are working to a very different business model than the old established brands. But by the same token, if we want the big up-front savings, we also need to understand that the rules have changed.

I hate to say it but their are brands closer to home where this applies. When I bought my 2 RS600p the only seller I could find in the UK was Lencarta and I bought 2 for just a few pounds more than they were selling 1 for. I have been fortunate and had no issues. For the AD600 there is now a choice of suppliers based in the UK and they are having to keep prices low to beat the cheap imports, find for us photographers in the short term but we will see what the future holds.

Mike

Back