Godox Xpro-C question

LongLensPhotography

Th..th..that's all folks!
Name
LongLensPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I have this with a mix of older non-pro and newer pro lights

1. Can I use the more precise settings in 0.1 step and / or down to 1/256 on the trigger and retain proper function with non-pro lights. Or do I have to remain stuck at 1/128 0.3 step with all of them?
2. What happens when you put different lights like 600 and 200 in one group? Do they all fire at same exact power each, or relative to their own max? What about ETTL?

I might eventually upgrade remaining non-pro 200 units, but really don't see much urgent need to do so. The 200 + 600 question must surely be applicable to quite a few people

I too use Godox Transmitters, strobe, and speedlites

You can change the X Pro transmitters to work in .decimal 0.1 increments, and my Godox X system studio strobes will follow this, but I'm old school and learned in fractional power settings, so that is how I usually have my studio lights set up. I have changed over to decimal a few times when friends came over that wanted to use decimal control, but I switch back to fractional soon after they leave. I just don't see a need for that fine of control of my strobes.

Right now I have 2 X Pro c transmitters, 1 X pro f transmitter, and an X2Tc that I bought when first making the transition to Godox X control. The X2Tc is now in my field kit and acts as a spare most of the time. Three years ago I wanted to switch to Godox, but couldn't afford to switch everything all at once. The hot shoe on the top of my X2Tc let me stack my old transmitter on top and continue to use my old flash equipment and and transmitter, until I had the budget to replace the rest. After using the Godox equipment for a while, I made it a priority to replace everything with Godox X communication lighting, and sold off my old lights and transmitters. In 3 years, I haven't had a single Godox or Flashpoint equipment failure to fire due to an equipment failure. Operator failure, yes, but none caused by the equipment.

Every light that you assign to a group, will respond to the transmitter's same setting, so more light will come from a larger light than a smaller one. I assign a different group # to each different size or style lights, usually putting each light on it's own group, so I have separate control of each light for this reason. You are aware that the Godox X Pro transmitters have the ability of 16 groups, if you choose to use more than 5 channels. Only 5 groups are displayed at a time, but buttons below the screen let you scroll the groups up and down to see them all. The switch in one of the menu screens allows you to change between 5 or 16 groups. When you select 16 croups, you do loose the TTL ability though. You can only use TTL when you have selected to use 5 groups maximum. I have used 7 groups one time, but in the studio I don't think I have ever used more than 5 groups. two or three studio strobes in separate groups is the usual, plus a few reflectors.

The X2T transmitter, though limited to 5 groups has another feature that's not part of the X Pro transmitters. Godox has a cell phone App that lets you communicate through Bluetooth between your cell phone and the X2T transmitter, giving you adjustment capability of each group of lights. The cell phone App controls the X2T, which then controls the lights. You get to leave the X2T on your camera and change the light settings via your cell phone. If using a light meter to set each light, you don't need to remove the X2T from your camera while taking multiple light readings at the model or each light. It's a neat gimmick. I played with it for a while, but don't use it. It is supposed to be able to trigger the camera too, but that feature was limited to only a few cell phones and not mine, yet. I haven't checked in over a year to see if the App has been upgraded for my phone yet, so maybe it will work now. I don't care. I have several wireless triggers for my cameras. I don't need another.

If you have more questions about Godox or Flashpoint (same thing) I'll do my best to answer them.

Charley

Back