Going to Iceland in December

Name
Eddy
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd stick this in here, as I'm told Iceland provides opportunity for stunning landscape shots!

So I need a good setup to go away with. I've got my 7D and lenses, but that's about as far as it goes. I reckon I should invest some money in a half-decent tripod. I've looked at the RedSnappers and they look of good quality. I'm also told that a 10-stop filter is invaluable for day-time landscape shots. These are quite expensive investments and Iceland itself is pretty pricey place to visit, so I need to spend wisely if I'm to acquire more gear before the trip. What do you guys think? :)

I went in February, and to be honest I had no idea what to take and was limited to what I could fit into my hand luggage sized suitcase. I ended up taking my mini Velbon tripod, which was absolutely invaluable with the northern lights, my Sony A57 + 16-105 lens for all purpose shots, and my 11-18 UWA, which didn't see much use, but was nice to have with me. The main thing I wish I'd taken with me is a remote shutter release (for the lights). Absolutely overwhelmed by the country itself though; the weather was clouds and rain for the majority of time we were there, but in a way that added to it. I really, really want to go back at some point. It sounds weird, but I really loved how desolate and empty it was. I assume you're hiring a car? If so, get a 4X4. Link to my set of photos below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7978334@N03/sets/72157634911522211/

Last edited:
I went in February, and to be honest I had no idea what to take and was limited to what I could fit into my hand luggage sized suitcase. I ended up taking my mini Velbon tripod, which was absolutely invaluable with the northern lights, my Sony A57 + 16-105 lens for all purpose shots, and my 11-18 UWA, which didn't see much use, but was nice to have with me. The main thing I wish I'd taken with me is a remote shutter release (for the lights). Absolutely overwhelmed by the country itself though; the weather was clouds and rain for the majority of time we were there, but in a way that added to it. I really, really want to go back at some point. It sounds weird, but I really loved how desolate and empty it was. I assume you're hiring a car? If so, get a 4X4. Link to my set of photos below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7978334@N03/sets/72157634911522211/

Thanks for the reply! We're staying in Reykjavik for accommodation and plan on hiring a car to get out of the city and see the surrounding area. How far out do you need to go to see the northern lights? Can't really afford to hire the 4X4, was thinking a VW Polo/Golf - would that suffice?

Thanks for the reply! We're staying in Reykjavik for accommodation and plan on hiring a car to get out of the city and see the surrounding area. How far out do you need to go to see the northern lights? Can't really afford to hire the 4X4, was thinking a VW Polo/Golf - would that suffice?

If the weather is good, I don't think you have to go far (although you're apparently far more likely to see the lights up north); however, with us, the weather was pretty much clouds the whole time where we were, but near the end of the holiday, we checked the weather forecast and it said there was less cloud coverage up north, and a higher chance of seeing the lights so we decided to chance it and drive up North in our Hyundai i30. Whilst it performed admirably, a 4X4 really would've helped as lots of the roads are dirt roads, riddled with potholes and steep inclines. There's also many roads you're not allowed on at all with a normal car. I'd highly recommend the drive up North anyway though, it was a real adventure. We left our cabin (we rented a cabin about an hour's drive from Reykjavik) at about 11am, and arrived back at 11am the next day.

If the weather is good, I don't think you have to go far (although you're apparently far more likely to see the lights up north); however, with us, the weather was pretty much clouds the whole time where we were, but near the end of the holiday, we checked the weather forecast and it said there was less cloud coverage up north, and a higher chance of seeing the lights so we decided to chance it and drive up North in our Hyundai i30. Whilst it performed admirably, a 4X4 really would've helped as lots of the roads are dirt roads, riddled with potholes and steep inclines. There's also many roads you're not allowed on at all with a normal car. I'd highly recommend the drive up North anyway though, it was a real adventure. We left our cabin (we rented a cabin about an hour's drive from Reykjavik) at about 11am, and arrived back at 11am the next day.

If you can, get to Krafla in the north which is very weird and impressive. Lots of geothermal action and cool beaches south of Reykjavik. Don't bother with Geysir. Gulfoss is cool but touristy - would be interesting at night in winter with an aurora.

Kit-wise, definitely get s tripod and a wired shutter release with bulb control.

I would invest in a strudy tripod - Manfrotto 055XPROB with 804RC2 Head isn't overly expensive.
Redsnapper have been awful from my personal experiences.
A good set of Grad Filters, lee ones are very good. You can also use them as ND filters by pulling the dark side over the lens, while still using a single grad for the sky - has served me well for waterfalls etc.
Remote shutter cables are inexpensive on ebay. Mine was £4.

Me and the wife went last April, stunning place.

What you take sort of depends on what type of visit you're planning, if it's a sightseeing one you might find time for photography is a bit limited, as was mine, so 10 stop filters and even NDgrads might not be practical.

Definitely take a tripod, we were amazingly lucky to see the Northern lights at the end of April, in Reykjavic too, as I had a small tripod I managed a couple of shots.. didn't use the tripod in the day as we'd booked a few organised tours which were quite quick paced..saw loads though.

If you're on a photography trip then it's no different to over here gear wise.. NDgrads, NDs and tripod.. decent coverage of focal lengths.. long telephoto if you go on a boat trip

You'll definitely enjoy it that's for sure

Simon

We're doing a four day trip to Romainia leaving Boxing Day including one night in the ice hotel.

As it's a long weekend break and not a photography trip, I'm planning (have been instructed by SWMBO!) to travel light. To be fair, I don't want to be lugging a full backpack of kit around and I want a relaxing holiday too. So, the kit list is 7D & 17-55, remote shutter, a couple of filters (polariser, ND and NG grad) and my travel tripod (Manfrotto 732CY). I may treat myself to an early Christmas present and buy a Canon 10-22, but don't see that as a necessity. I'll almost definitely leave the battery grip on as I find the camera much easier to hold, both carrying and using with it on and the additional weight doesn't bother me.

I'm in the same boat as Eddy, I'm heading to Iceland for four days in December. We will being doing a northern lights and a whale watching trip but i have no idea what equipment to take.

I have a Nikon D7000 a few lens and a tripod. I'll take my 55-300 for the whale watching but i'm not sure what to take for the lights. I was thinking of buying a UWA for the trip. Can anyone recommend one for a budget of £400?

Back