Going to New York later this year

Name
George
Edit My Images
Yes
I'll be going over at the end of August with my girlfriend, so can't really have free reign on where to go, but it'd be nice to squeeze a few places in.

I've got the choice of taking my 5D and 24-70 and/or my 1D MKII and 70-200.

Ideally I don't want to carry loads around, and probably won't take a tripod because the one I've got is too big for hand luggage and I don't trust putting it (or my cameras/lenses) in the hold.

So questions I have really are;
I'm inclined to take the 5D and 24-70, would it be worth taking the 70-200 as well?

Where would be locations to get some decent shots, structures, people and the like?

Other than photography, what's worth seeing? (as it's not just me & the camera :LOL: )

Cheers

Hi George,

This is my thread from my trip back in April, with some of my photos. Will give you an idea what to see. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=479289
I took a Canon 40D, 18-55mm, 50mm prime and a tripod (which I always put in the hold, it's plenty strong enough).
Very rarely will you need the extra reach of a 200mm, however for shots of the statue of liberty etc it could be handy, so my recommendation would be the 5D and 24-70, however you're carrying it, so you decide if you want the weight of both lenses in your bag.
I recommend buying the AA guide to New York from amazon here http://www.amazon.co.uk/CityPack-Ne...=1372847321&sr=8-1&keywords=AA+new+york+guide
It comes with a fold out waterproof map, as well as giving you loads of ideas of places to go. In my opinion it is a must have, especially for navigating their subway system.
Before we left we booked up tickets for Madame Tussauds and the 9/11 memorial. If you go to the memorial (highly reccomend) then book in advance online, it will cost $2 per ticket in booking fees.
We also made a list of everywhere we wanted to go, and addresses of these places, to make it easier when we got there. We crossed things off as we did them.
As far as locations go, I would recommend the following.

Statue of Liberty
Empire State Building
Top of the Rockefeller Centre (Sun and Stars ticket)
Central Park (The Zoo, The Mall, Bow Bridge, John Lennon Memorial)
Brooklyn Bridge
Chinatown - Amazing for candid photography
Staten Island Ferry (It's free!)
Ground Zero
Times Square
High Line
The Museum of Natural History
Grand Central Terminal
Chrysler Building
A Broadway show

I can't think of anymore right now, but there is literally far too much to do!
Wear comfy shoes too, as the walking will kill your feet.
I have a set on flickr with all my photos I've edited so far http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaketurner92/sets/72157633306915969/

If you need anymore help drop me a PM, I'd be more than happy to advise.
Have a great time!

Jake

Take your widest lens. It was very rare that I switched off the 18-55 when I was their as it was the widest lens I had except for the statue shots.

Top of the rock at night (it's good during the day) however you can get some amazing night shots from the top and their are cracks int he glass and a wall so no tripod is needed.

Something many do not do is the Highline its great and gives some great opportunities, also walking central park top to bottom on a sunday is good again lots of things to shoot as well as the people. We did rockerfella centre rather than empire state so that you can get empire state in the shot. Depending on how long you are there go down to Brighton beach and walk along the beach or boardwalk to Coney Island, if you go into the sea its so warm and you get to shoot the classic funfair at coney island, it takes about 40 minutes on the subway.
To keep your girlfriend happy if she is into shopping try half a day at Jersey Gardens so great bargins.
You can spend a day in the Met Museum, when you go to staten island ferry, pop into the american indian museum, again no more than an hour but some good costumes and clothing to shoot.
For a different view try Roosevelt island its very quiet walking the riverside path but gives a very differnt view back to manhattan.
The cathederal at the top of central park, think it is st johns has some great artifacts and sculptures in the garden next to it and is different and a bit bizzare which is what new york is about.
have fun we will be there earlier in august and its our 4th visit in 5 years and each time we find something new just by exploring.

Thanks for all the advice :)

I've ordered the guidebook, so I'll start looking at how far the suggested places are and start planning :)

My girlfriend is welcome to do all the shopping she wants, as long as it's her money she spends and not mine :)

Thanks for all the advice :)

I've ordered the guidebook, so I'll start looking at how far the suggested places are and start planning :)

My girlfriend is welcome to do all the shopping she wants, as long as it's her money she spends and not mine :)

I recommend walking as much as possible, it's a city best seen from the streets. However for certain things the subway is essential. It's reasonably priced, comes in at around $2.25 for a single.
Where are you flying into? And where are you staying?

From recollection flying into JFK, staying at the Wellington hotel (though I can't remember where that is off the top of my head)

you can split things into sectors but lots of walking can be done if you are both ok with that, battery park, statten island ferry port, seaport, wall street & the bull then ground zero are all next to each other. Just becareful with the temperatures, last year at the end of august they were in the middle of a heat wave temps well into 90's so sometimes it is nice to chill in the parks. Bryant park is a good place to sit and have lunch in, buying something in the local deli's. Also the library next to bryant park is worth a visit.
jusy make sure you take a big enough memory card as you will shoot hundreds of shots.
Any questions fire away we found the frommer guide book one of the better ones. Your hotel is a few blocks from columbus circle which is next to central park on the west side, 10 blocks from the rockerfella centre and about 15ish from times square.

Last edited:
Top of the rockefeller has to be number 1 for me. Unobstructed views over NY and to the Empire State. Great photos especiallly at night and places to rest your camera so you can get those long exposures.

Another vote for Empire State, amazing views in good weather. Grand Central is a awe inspiring space too. There wasnt much to see at Ground Zero when I went except huge fances, but it was a VERY eery being there surrounded by hundreds people with just the ambient sound of the city in the background, really quite an odd experience at the time.
Also depending on the weather, there are river cruises and its a bit of a gamble, but if you get the timing right for sunset when the cruise boat turns around on the East River to head back to the docks on the Hudson ... if your lucky you get the most amazing view of the sun setting behind the Statue of Liberty.
Sad story, I didnt have a camera with me when I went :(
Somewhere like NY really bring out the creative side in photographers, hope to go back oneday, though I expect the missus would put a ban on the camera, she gets a bit bored standing around waiting after me lol

NY is such a massive place and there is so much to see and do if your only going for a few days. There are guys everywhere selling bus tours, when I went we got the tour ticket (lasts three days) so you can hop off and on where ever and get to all the main places a lot faster and easier. Take the 24-70 and you'll be fine. Remeber above all, have fun sightseeing :)

Last edited:
Top of the Rock at sunset is amazing, great spot for pics although you have to scout a place early and be prepared to wait, quite a few people with monopods when I went up.

Best part is you get the view of the ESB & new trade center, Chrysler Building is a bit obscured but can't be helped. The Highline as mentioned is great as is the Staten Island Ferry.

Oh and non photo related, go visit Shake Shack, best burger i've ever eaten.

These 2 were handheld from top of the rock or rested on something as I had no tripod

Light from Top of the Rock by Myfanwy 365, on Flickr

Manhattan at Night by Myfanwy 365, on Flickr

Nice pics :)

I'll have to look into investing in a smaller monopod I think

I find myself in need of a similar advise. 2.5d in NY, will cover manhattan skyline from Brooklyn or NJ, Brooklyn bridge, and the central areas - the "free" stuff.

The elevated view leaves me a bit concerned. Empire state is out (well they would kick me out reading their website). Top of the rock sounds like its out as well. I've sent them an email but I only expect a NO, no reply at all or a bill for something like $25000.
So are there any ways to do what I want to do so that I have got things to sell and submit to agencies without a fear of litigation?

edit: or as it turns out most of Brooklyn 'coast' is not accessible! Any good open spots please to do the Manhattan on the water shot? One with freedom statue in as well?

Last edited:
don't forget lower manhatten from statten island ferry, some great old buildings and a different view which now will have freedom tower in it I would expect.
these were from a couple of years ago as an example.

Back