weekly *gold*'s 52 (2012) Week 5 Secure and Week 7 Root Added

Name
Cliff
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, i have equalled my entries for last year with this post :D
I had something in mind when i read the theme, the idea was a Black and white image, after the PP stage and analising the pics and composition i stuck to colour.

C&C as always is welcome and i hope you like it, i do for a beginner:

WEEK 1 Direction (This post :LOL:)
WEEK 2 Fear
Week 3 Sigh (Delayed)
Week 4 Sweet
Week 5 Secure
Week 6 Industry (Delayed)
Week 7 Root

direction by Cliff 'O', on Flickr

Best wishes
Cliff

Last edited:
Hi, Cliff,great start.

It has a very rustic feel, which I like. Off centre which works well.

Nice detail in sky.

Why photograph ISO 1000? There's a lot of noise because of this.

I'd like to see the bottom of the post as well.

Overall, well done and I'll keep my out for the other 51 (y) :D

Cheers.

Thanks Andy, i realised afterwards i hadn't changed my settings, i rushed the shot as i had the exact sort of sky i wanted but had to be back home very soon, silly i know but that's what the 52 is about for me, learning and lesson 1 has been learned, check, check and check again and take my time !!
Having said this i think the noise helps the atmosphere, although accidentaly, i am willing to be persuaded otherwise ;)
Best wishes
Cliff

Welcome to the challenge for 2012, interesting shot I like the rustic sign too.

Thanks Andy, i realised afterwards i hadn't changed my settings, i rushed the shot as i had the exact sort of sky i wanted but had to be back home very soon, silly i know but that's what the 52 is about for me, learning and lesson 1 has been learned, check, check and check again and take my time !!
Having said this i think the noise helps the atmosphere, although accidentaly, i am willing to be persuaded otherwise ;)
Best wishes
Cliff

Hi, Cliff, if you like it then that's all that matters (y)

Cheers.

I really like it Cliff - like the colours and the clouds - almost like you can feel them moving across the sky - good luck with the next 51! Graeme.

Good start Cliff, is the sign pointing to something dangerous as the little man on the sign is running it the opposite direction :D

Good start Cliff, is the sign pointing to something dangerous as the little man on the sign is running it the opposite direction :D

Haha, just the way they labellled public footpaths I suppose, if I was good with pp I could reverse him, might have a go later :)
Many thanks for the comments, its actually ISO 3200 and 1/1000th of a second silly me :)
Best wishes
Cliff

Lovely tones, prefer the colour personally, but that's not saying I dislike the b/w!

I prefer the B&W , with the noise in the colour shot i think it works better as B&W and has added to the overall effect.

Cheers

Steve

Many thanks for the comments, its actually ISO 3200 and 1/1000th of a second silly me :)
Best wishes
Cliff

That's why it's so noisy, you could have got away with 400 or even less if your shutter speed and aperture were dialled down (y)

Edit: Just read you forgot to change the settings, doh!!

Last edited:
Hi ya Cliff...great start to your challenge ( welcome aboard by the way :wave: )

#1 for me...great detail in the sky :clap:....noise already mentioned

Nice work mister...keep it up (y)

Thank you everyone for the positive comments :D Very much appreciated and motivating, is the new theme out yet lol
Please accept my apologies if i do not comment back on your threads but more often than not i dont feel qualified to say anything other than i like it/don't like it :(
Best wishes
Cliff

Thank you everyone for the positive comments :D Very much appreciated and motivating, is the new theme out yet lol
Please accept my apologies if i do not comment back on your threads but more often than not i dont feel qualified to say anything other than i like it/don't like it :(
Best wishes
Cliff

Hi, Cliff, trust me, you'll get as much from commenting on other member's photographs that you will be receiving it...if all else fails, simply say what you like about it...(y)

Cheers.

Please don't feel you're not qualified. Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and you certainly don't need to be a pro to say whether you like an image or not. I think most people would agree that it's okay to sometimes say that you like something - or that you don't particularly like it - without listing at least five reasons why you feel this way. Though if you're going to post that you don't like it, it's easier for the photographer to deal with if you're specific.

Last edited:
Best wishes
Cliff

Hi Cliff, don't worry about that. These projects are for everyone and all levels of photographic knowledge. A like it or don't like it is perfectly good enough as well as someone giving full blown critique if the image requires it.

As for your starting image, I really like it and it works very well in black and white, so that version for me, exposure and composition are just right (y)

Classic "direction" shot. I do find the sky too noisy but prefer the colour version to the B&W.

As above please don't be afraid to comment. It is great to get other people's opinions on photos whether they are pros, beginners or anyone in between.

Best wishes
Cliff

Cliff... On the subject of Feedback.....I initially found it very intimidating to say anything other than "Good Shot " as I didn't have any idea on the technical side of photo's .

I'm still not that up on it but I know what I like & what just feels "off " to me....what I try to do is say the positives of what I'm seeing then give the crit of what I'm not so keen on but always try to finish on a good note

Say what you see - comments are always appreciated (y)

Think it has to be the B&W for me cliff. If it wasn't for the noise it would probably be the colour though lol. The B&W with the noise makes it look quite desolate and eerie. Great sky too.

As for the not wanting to comment, I'm sure if you just gave it a go and put what your feelings about the shots were, you'd get to like looking through people's efforts and giving your opinion. I've gained a lot over just the past week from starting the 52 from other members critique and i've also learnt more about my likes and dislikes which can't be a bad thing.

Please feel free to comment on my shots.

Phil.

Hi Cliff, another one liking the colour version here :) Think the sky really makes the image.

I might be tempted just to crop a bit tighter on the left side to get rid of that tree, I just find it takes my attention off the sign a bit, not sure others would agree though.

Don't worry about not feeling qualified to comment, it hasnt stopped most of us.

It's pretty easy, if you like say why you like it if you don't say why you don't and if you think it's complete and utter rubbish hit the back button...lol

Again as Phil says please feel free to comment on any of my photo's, were all in a learning curve here :)

Good luck with the rest of your 52

Great first photo, love the detail in the sky on the colour one.

good luck on the next 51 weeks

wardie

Hi.
Its the colour one for me too.
I see what you mean about the noise - gives it a bit of an arty feel.
Sometimes those littke mistakes are ther for a reason.
Well done.

Thank you for the comments and support again, i am really stumped for now on week 2 but sure i'll get something sorted.

I also promise to pop into the threads i haven't visited yet,

Best wishes
Cliff

Nice start ... Mono for me, and I like the grain.

Cliff, Nice start, good luck getting beyond last years total :D... The sky is really good, as is the texture in the post... I can't help think that perhaps the post could stand out a little more... perhaps if the head and arrow were slotted into that cloud gap to the left of it in frame... that would have helped accentuate the directionness (new word :D)... otherwise I like it... I think the colour beats the mono here as the tones bring it all together nicely, although the graininess works better in mono.

Well, after much deliberation here is my effort for week 2 'FEAR'

Fear by Cliff 'O', on Flickr

Bit of a rush job because my mind is already on week 3 and i'm afraid of getting behind with these very difficult (i think :D) themes.I may have a go with some extra PP if i get chance.

Best wishes
Cliff

i am liking the colour direction.

fear, think you have nailed it, looks like you have just told her / him that they are paying the bill. lol

My 5 yr old Daughter Emmie, the other 4 may well figure at some stage :)
Many thanks for taking the time to comment
Cliff

Hi Cliff, i'm doing a catch up job again tonight.

Direction - spot on theme and marvelous sky which personally i would have liked to have seen more of and not the non descript vegetation behind the sign, maybe getting right down and shooting upwards?

Fear - spot on, love the composition and the PP.

keep it up only another 50 to go

Like you're take on FEAR, the B&W works well as does the lighting and the way the eye is highlighted. I quite like the crop too but I would clone out the dark bit at the bottom of the face.

Think the noise actually adds to this picture as well :)

Well done. As said with direction it feels a bit cut off without the bottom of the sign.
Fear very atmospheric - can't say much more than already said by others.

Hi Cliff still trying to catch up with everyone's 52. Your direction shot is bang on theme, prefer the b&w version to the colour, and just a shame about the noise. Love your fear shot, great idea and composition. Looking forward to seeing more of your 52 :)

Both themes delivered very well. Liking fear very much, just something about it that conveys fear well.

They are hard themes but just go with whatever you think, its your challenge after all!

Back