London Golden Hour & Night Photography in London

Name
Nina
Edit My Images
No
Hello. I'm going to London next month. I'm having a really hard time planning the trip.

I'd like to take photos of the Big Ben and Tower Bridge during the golden hour or at night. Those long exposure/light trail photos of the Big Ben look pretty good! I'm just not sure when is the best time to go.
I will be in London for 4 days only before leaving for Manchester.

I have a few questions.

1. What time does it get dark?
2. When is the ideal time to take photos of the Big Ben and Tower Bridge?
3. When is the golden hour?
4. What other places for sunsets and night photography in London?

I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations on places to visit.

Thanks!

Another vote for Photographers Ephemeris.
You can find all the information you need from it.

However, one problem you may have is at this time of year, dusk and the so-called "blue hour" correspond with the busiest time of day for people movement, so working with a tripod may be difficult.

For most of December the start of the golden hour starts between 14:57 - 14:54, Sunset is 15:55 -15:57 and the end of blue hour is 16:34 -16:36

You won't be able to do Big Ben and Tower Bridge in the same night within these time scales.

Standing on Parliament square garden is not a bad place to get Big Ben and light trails and you can be out of the way there, you may get the Police coming to see what your up to but that shouldn't be a problem.

From there you can go to Victoria embankment and shoot the London eye, or cross over Westminster bridge and drop down the stairs and shoot back across to Parliament.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/londonbackpacker/10904390203/in/dateposted-public/

Tower bridge is closed until the end of December so no traffic going across, shooting the bridge from More London (the South side) can be a problem as More London Security can be hot on people using tripods. The North side, in front of the Tower of London is normally OK.

Other spots are Millennium bridge shooting back to St. Pauls.

I think the Tate Modern is open late on a Friday and Saturday, and you can go up to the view level in the Switch house which gives a 360 of London.

Slightly further afield is Canary Wharf, Greenwich Park and Parliament Hill.

Back