Goldfinch

I'd like the chance to see one !! I've been hunting them around WWT Barnes for weeks, everybody tells me they're there, but I think they're just winding me up ! :mad:

The new lens is working well for you ... maybe a tweak to reduce the highlights? :)

Why Roger? … I see details everywhere!
…or do I miss something?

Personal view Kodiak, based on experience of seeing the birds ... nothing says I'm right but I think it positive to offer honest comment :)

nothing says I'm right

Not suggesting you are wrong… that's why I asked "WHY?".
…not questioning your honesty a second!

I'm often wrong ... my wife tells me! :D

"You're an idiot…" my ex-wife used to repeat,
"…you gave all your brains to the kids!"

…another man…

I'm not unique?

I know your comment won't solve anything
but it makes me feel better…
A simple matter of solidarity ! ;-)

Lovely capture but agree with Roger that it maybe worth trying to drop the highlights a bit to see how you get on. Looking on my monitor the whites on the breast seem a little blown as there's less definition in the feathers compared to the rest of bird. This could also be down to harsh light/bright sun hitting the breast area and maybe un-recoverable to balance the photo.

Great shot Neil.

I like these birds. I have a pretty large and wild back garden with a couple of big trees near the house, there are several of these birds which keep landing on the these trees each morning for a good hour or so. The only thing is I don't have the equipment (or skill) to capture them as nicely as this but I'm very close to getting a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary soon I think.

I'd like the chance to see one !! I've been hunting them around WWT Barnes for weeks, everybody tells me they're there, but I think they're just winding me up ! :mad:
I saw one about 5 times today, way to fast for me though!

This one… you did not!
Very cool rendition!
Thanks Daniel

The new lens is working well for you ... maybe a tweak to reduce the highlights? :)
Thanks Roger, I've tweaked them a tiny bit but to be honest there was detail in all the highlights so didn't want to pull them back too far.

Lovely capture but agree with Roger that it maybe worth trying to drop the highlights a bit to see how you get on. Looking on my monitor the whites on the breast seem a little blown as there's less definition in the feathers compared to the rest of bird. This could also be down to harsh light/bright sun hitting the breast area and maybe un-recoverable to balance the photo.
Thanks Simon. On my monitor the only part that looked a touch blown was the white on the head, Ill check it on my works monitor tomorrow though.

I really like this Neil. The PP is great. Only on my phone but i like it as it is. I think I'd kill the OOF branches but i haven't got the skill... But i know you have!

Look forward to seeing more from you with this lens.
Thanks David, it did contemplate loosing the roof branches but decided to keep them, hopefully more shots to come ;)

Great shot.

I tried to get one today, the bugga kept hiding from me.
Thanks Pete

Great shot Neil.

I like these birds. I have a pretty large and wild back garden with a couple of big trees near the house, there are several of these birds which keep landing on the these trees each morning for a good hour or so. The only thing is I don't have the equipment (or skill) to capture them as nicely as this but I'm very close to getting a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary soon I think.
Thanks Joel

PDG in my opinion.....

such lovely birds, I get two pairs in the feeders but yet to get close to them

excellent sho

mu

Really great shot and superb looking bird. Agree the highlights could be toned down a little but nothing to take away from it.

PDG in my opinion.....

such lovely birds, I get two pairs in the feeders but yet to get close to them

excellent sho

mu
Thanks Mark

Excellent shot-a good advert for the sigma at 600mm
Thanks Keith, it seems a very good lens, hopefully some better shots to come ;)

Really great shot and superb looking bird. Agree the highlights could be toned down a little but nothing to take away from it.
Thanks Chris

That's a pretty sweet shot. Love those guys.

The bird is very nice but why leave the two oof twigs in the frame - the larger on the right with the highlight is particularly distracting

Perhaps a little too much dead space on the left - I usually try and crop so there is around twice the amount of space in front than behind the bird

stan

That's a pretty sweet shot. Love those guys.
Thanks Dave

The bird is very nice but why leave the two oof twigs in the frame - the larger on the right with the highlight is particularly distracting

Perhaps a little too much dead space on the left - I usually try and crop so there is around twice the amount of space in front than behind the bird

stan
Thanks Stan, I personally dont mind the crop and the oof twigs, thanks for your opinion though.

Edit: I have now played around with the background and have to admit you and David were right about the oof twigs, thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Nicely done, they are a beautiful bird. fwiw I can see plenty of detail in the bird so think it is about right ...

Goldfinches are difficult to get right and you need really good light

To me it is a nice shot but it needs more structure that you can maybe give it through processing - the bird looks a little "flat"

Goldfinches are difficult to get right and you need really good light

To me it is a nice shot but it needs more structure that you can maybe give it through processing - the bird looks a little "flat"
OK thanks Bill, will leave this one now but have other shots I might look at.

it's a good shot - I just would like to see more "structure" if possible especially in the lighter areas
I think the other shots I took had more detail in the lighter areas, I just didn't like the poses so much. I've pulled back all I can from this one, I have a feeling it lost detail in those areas because of the high ISO and fairly heavy crop as it's not over exposed from what i can see. Hopefully get closer to them next time, it's all a learning curve.

As a first outing and new lens you have done cracking mate. Have you changed the image in OP?

If so its now nice and clean and gorgeous looking bird.

Keep them coming. :)

Back