Good Lens for a Beginner

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

I am currently stuck in trying to choose a lens for my camera. This is the first time I have ever used a dSLR, and would like a zoom lens to start out - but my budget isn't that large.

The lens is for a Nikon D200 (bought off this forum from whitey), and I am looking to purchase within the next day or two days so that I will have a lens to use with the camera when it arrives.

I am looking to spend around £180 on a reasonable lens (I know it won't be top-quality at that price), less if possible.

The lenses I am currently looking at are:

Tamron 70-300mm F4/5.6 DI LD Macro (£129.99)
This is one of a few that I have tested in person (today infact) and it felt very sturdy once on the camera - the AF was great too.

Nikon 55-200mm F4/5.6 AFS DX VR (£169.99)
Another very nice lens that I have tried in person, and I really like the VR on this; the AF was good too.

Sigma 18-200mm F3.5/6.3 DC (£149.99)
The final lens that I have tried in person, and again this was a nice lens - much better than I thought it would be from the reviews that I have read online regarding Sigma lenses. The AF was speedy, if slightly noisy - but that wouldn't bother me in the least.

Sigma 18-125mm F3.5/5.6 DC (£139.97)
This is the only lens I have chosen that I haven't been able to try in person, but I do like the fact that it has a smaller ratio than the 18-200mm, and therefore I would presume be slightly better quality (?).

I'm just looking for opinions on these lenses, or if you have any other lens reccomendations that I haven't thought of please feel free to post them :).

Regards,
Tom

The 55-200 is a cracking lens and can be got for around £100 used. The only downside is the missing short end, but you can get an 18-55 kit lens which is decent for around £50 used. Haven't used the others, but know that Sigma can have quality issues.

i have heard good things about the sigma 18-200 its wide enough for landscape work and a nice telephoto length as well. the image quality is meant to be ok as well. I havent used it but was mentioned in some banter.

After reading these replies I am stuck between two options:

1. Nikon 18-55mm VR + Tamron 55-200mm

or

2. Sigma 18-200mm

Which would be the best option? (Note: both of these work out around the same price, so I am purely looking for opinions on these)

The only one of those choices I have experience of is the 18-55 VR.

My suggestions would be a Nikkor 18-55 and a Nikkor 55-200. They will comfortably outperform the Nikkor 18-200 VR wide to long (A £400 lens pricewise, but £150 in optical performance), so will probably outperform the Sigma 18-200 too...

You could get the non VR 18-55 for about £60 and you might be able to find a used 55-200 VR for £100. So for your budget I'd be looking at those two first which you should be able to find with a WTD ad here within your budget.

My preferred configuration would be to try to get VR on the long lens, so I'd look at the 55-200 VR and the non VR 18-55 or if you are lucky, the Nikkor 18-70 DX.

the 2 lens option are what i would go for - reason is that the telezoom lens is faster.

puddleduck: Thanks for the reply, I didn't think about it that way. I guess it would be a lot more sensible to have the VR on the longer lens. I think it would probably be best to go for those options, so I've posted a 'Wanted' thread. Thanks :).

33L: Thanks for the reply :). I think I will go for a 2-lens option because of the reasons you explain.

Probably not what you want to hear, but the best lens for a beginner on a D200 would be a Nikkor AIS 50mm f1.8.

it will cost you about £60-£80 for a good one and will mean that you actually have to focus, compose by moving and give you the opportunity to learn about photographic techniques.

Just my thoughts, but you have bought a great camera, I loved my D200!

EdBray: I do intend to buy a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D AF within a few months as I wish to do a bit of low-light photography, but to be honest I think having a single focal length would annoy me more than anything else -- perhaps it would be useful for learning, but it would also be quite limiting if I were unable to get as close to a scene as I wished. Thanks for the response though.

out of those i would sgree with Andy and get the 18-55 and 55-200 but with the budger i would be tempted to get the Sigma 24-60 which i think is a fantastic lens which will be enough for you at present then get a 55-200 when funds allow

can i chuck another spanner in the works and say a 18-70 Kit lens? there are suppose to bbe the best kit lens (according to people on here)

that would suite you nicely.and can be had for around 120ish second hand

I can't seem to find the 24-60mm anywhere :confused:. An 18-70mm kit lens sounds like a good idea if I can find on for the right price second-hand.

Would it be a sensible idea to go for the 55-200mm VR first and then get a good quality wide-angle lens at a later point?

Haha, bad timing on my part then :).

I'd like to get into a bit of portrait photography in the future, but at the moment my main interest would likely be landscapes/nature, etc.

if its more land scapes i would personally say the 18-70 and then the 55-200 at a later date

My second hand D200 (brought last week) came with a Sigam 18-200mm. I've not really had a chance to get out with it but from the test shots indoors it does seem like a nice lens. It is light and compact and i'd say a good comprimise to start.

Have also seen them going on ebay for around £100!

Personally i'm going to be getting the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and then another telephoto (not sure what yet) but will probably keep the 18-200 as i think it's a good lens to take on holiday etc or as a walk about with no other kit.

The Sigma does appeal to me due to it's attractive price, and the fact that it did feel very nice when actually operating it (I tried it out on a D300 body in Jessops and it was comfortable to use).

Decisions, decisions :).

i have the sigma 18-200 and i am very happy but i have the os version that retails at over £250 and is a lot chunkier but i have had some cracking images with it

Go with the 2 lenses rather then an "all-in-one" lens

Go for what you want that fits in with your budget.

although i have said i have the 18-200 i would rather have the 18-125 if i could choose again as being a shorter zoom must have its upside with regards to iq

pro.wannabe: I was looking at the Sigma 18-125mm, but when I asked Jessops if they could get it in for me their servers apparently said they don't have it at all, when it's advertised on their website. Ah, well.

At the moment I think I'd like to get:

Nikon 18-70mm + Nikon 55-200mm VR

But I can only get one at a time due to my budget. I think (depending on how I feel trying it out on the D200 when it arrives) that I'm most likely to get the 55-200 first, as it will be a brand new lens and therefore less hassle if there is something wrong with it - for the 18-70 getting a brand new lens would not be an option.

Hi mate id recommend that combo as well.
I have the 18-70 and am currently looking for a telephoto to compliment it.

I was thinking 70-300 VR but unsure tbh.

Back