Good London locations for test shoots including model?

Edit My Images
No
I'm an amateur photographer doing a lot of test shoots in London with models to build my portfolio up at the moment. Thought this might be a great place to talk to someone with more experience and learn about some good locations that I might be able to use.

I have been looking for locations with a bit of a "grungy, urban, derelict" look and feel to it. A lot of the sites I have been googling either sound a bit unsafe, dangerous or have security guards to worry about, so I was hoping someone had some thoughts that might help me find a perfect spot to shoot. Wether it's a disused warehouse that I can get into, an outdoor location that has a great old/disused feel to it or anything else that might sounds interesting.

Hope to hear from you guys :)

Welcome,

you might get a better response if you tell us what part on the country you are in, presuming you are in the UK?

Can you give me a little more information? What size is your team? Do you need changing facilities? How many lights and battery packs are you carrying?

Some locations are ok to get to if you are working light, but those same locations are really impractical if you have alot of equipment (that is your whole team, and not just you).

there's probably lots of the sort of disused/derelict buildings along the river through london. not in the city area but out to the west or east. I don't know the east too well but there's a few out west. also along the grand union canal from paddington westwards. best way to find stuff: on your bike

Ah, so you are in London! :D

You might have said! :bang:

where's me specs?

The "Skateboard" park under the Royal Festival Halls is definitely "Grungy", covered in graffiti etc. As it's on the South Bank you can find a number of other locations along there too; outside the "knight" at Southwark Cathedral for instance.

Go about 4pm and work for a couple of hours in the falling light, shhoting the river in the background works well.

Steve

Quote " I have been looking for locations with a bit of a "grungy, urban, derelict" look and feel to it"

Then you have the whole of London to choose from.:naughty::naughty:;);)

Realspeed

Thanks for the good suggestions so far. Sounds like I simply need to get on a bike along the canal and see what I can find. Last time I simply wondered the backstreets I did find some great areas. Just wanted to see what else might be out there that I might have missed.

If anyone has any more suggestions feel free to add. The more derelict looking the better! As the contrast with a bit of high fashion attempt and something run down looking as a backdrop brings an interesting contrast.

Hope all have fun photo experiences during the weekend. I'm doing studio this weekend and next weekend is my trip out.

And "admirable", I shall add some glasses for you on Santa's list for this year ;)

I know East London well, empty buildings you'll find are a boarded and barred, but the canals and back streets all along the Lee Valley right down through old East London to the docklands will have endless graffiti ridden backdrops. ...a vast area in all.
Have a good look through my blog as well, (in my sig) Woolwich Pier might interest you, well worth taking a trip to look around the open ruins I mention, great graffiti at that spot too.

(y)

I know East London well, empty buildings you'll find are a boarded and barred, but the canals and back streets all along the Lee Valley right down through old East London to the docklands will have endless graffiti ridden backdrops. ...a vast area in all.
Have a good look through my blog as well, (in my sig) Woolwich Pier might interest you, well worth taking a trip to look around the open ruins I mention, great graffiti at that spot too.

(y)
Thanks, love your blog and it's got some great images and locations! I have sent you a PM re some of these sites. Thanks again :)

Thanks to those who inspired me to find some awesome locations in London for my shoot! For anyone interested thought I'd post a couple of the pics I got on the day.

2935361583_d29494ecf9.jpg

2943533571_5ecef8fb5c.jpg

2943533305_44c7cb7731.jpg

All pics from the day on my Flickr page.

I'm an amateur photographer doing a lot of test shoots in London with models to build my portfolio up at the moment. Thought this might be a great place to talk to someone with more experience and learn about some good locations that I might be able to use.

I have been looking for locations with a bit of a "grungy, urban, derelict" look and feel to it. A lot of the sites I have been googling either sound a bit unsafe, dangerous or have security guards to worry about, so I was hoping someone had some thoughts that might help me find a perfect spot to shoot. Wether it's a disused warehouse that I can get into, an outdoor location that has a great old/disused feel to it or anything else that might sounds interesting.

Hope to hear from you guys :)

Hackney Wick Chapman Road and that area or Fish Island just up the road Look for Dace Road on the map

I'm loving the deep rich tones in all of them Cecilie, I can see that raw clash your where after..the beauty against the rough.... nicely done indeed. ... and your so right, shes quite stunning, wow what a bone structure!

Do please, make sure you give me a shout if your in town again. You lead the way ... ;);)

Yes I got exactly what I was hoping for. I actually can't walk by a broken window now thinking I MUST photograph a model against it haha

I was fascinated by the model's beauty. She had Swizz, Italian, Thai and Chinese blood in her, which created a very interesting beauty and cheak bones to die for! Will let you know when I'm next around in the area shooting :)

Thanks for the lovely comments guys. Sounds like Hackney might be a good place for me to venture next.

I've discovered that as soon as you get out of London abandoned places are so much easier accessible. I shot at one near Birmingham last weekend. A shell of a house, no "keep out" sigh, gate open. I feel some travel coming lol.

i have a head full of locations in london. just finished shooting at the brabrican, Sundays and overcast are best for that location, less people about. i know about a million abondon building in se1 as well.

Excellent... PM me a few please Chris. :) (y) ... accessible ones yes?

Ye I would be interested too, as am planning a day trip to the smoke at some point next week, and fancy something "different" to shoot Thanks (y)

I like some of the streets in Butlers Wharf but they're maybe a bit too smart.

Back