Critique Good Ol' Yorkshire - Otley from the top

I'm not qualified to critique, but if it had been my shot I think I would have muted the housing estate a little as it seems a bit bright amongst the dark trees, unless of course thats your intention, but then doing that might make the bottom look too-dark overall. I would also have cropped-out or photoshopped-out the tower. Tempting as it might be to lift the shadows on some of the trees on the left mid-picture, I think they are fine as they are. Other than that I think it's a nice clean shot and I like the way the bright sunlit fields sit amongst the dark trees.

I'm not qualified to critique, but if it had been my shot I think I would have muted the housing estate a little as it seems a bit bright amongst the dark trees, unless of course thats your intention, but then doing that might make the bottom look too-dark overall. I would also have cropped-out or photoshopped-out the tower. Tempting as it might be to lift the shadows on some of the trees on the left mid-picture, I think they are fine as they are. Other than that I think it's a nice clean shot and I like the way the bright sunlit fields sit amongst the dark trees.

Hi KernowChris

Thanks for this, completely agreed with the house comment, I will attempt to dull these down. The houses were extremely bright to start with, so wasnt sure whether to dull these down. Good call on the tower, it does look a bit out of place. I will have a place with this :)

Photographically it is well done, there is detail in the shadows and the sky fine with nice light on the fields ... but ... it's not really got a main subject i.e. something for the eye to settle on

Photographically it is well done, there is detail in the shadows and the sky fine with nice light on the fields ... but ... it's not really got a main subject i.e. something for the eye to settle on

Agreed, thankyou for this feedback. Tbf I just was getting to learn this new camera and didnt really have a sound knowledge of subjects or anything. Still dont XD... thankyou for the great feedback :)

The image means something to you, that's the point, so the point of focus is there for you and as such the image works.
For me, rather than 'dull down' the houses I would rather brighten the surrounding trees a little, that way it would reveal a little more detail in the image and at the same time lessen the contrast between houses and landscape ... just my personal thoughts though. :)

The image means something to you, that's the point, so the point of focus is there for you and as such the image works.
For me, rather than 'dull down' the houses I would rather brighten the surrounding trees a little, that way it would reveal a little more detail in the image and at the same time lessen the contrast between houses and landscape ... just my personal thoughts though. :)

Personal thoughts welcomed :) All in the aid of improving :)

When I lived and worked in Bradford, we drove over and walked the chevin many weekends. strangely I have no photographs there.

I know the Chevin well as I spent many a weekend morning up there when I first got my camera. If I'm honest, looking back i struggled to get any photos up there that I'd be happy with, so maybe a return visit now I'm a little bit more comfortable with the camera is a good idea...... there's some other lovely spots in that area too, Armscliffe Crag being a favourite of mine, and Arthington Viaduct.

Oh yeah, I agree with one of the previous comments about lifting the shadow on the trees rather than dulling down the houses..... nice image[emoji106]

I know the Chevin well as I spent many a weekend morning up there when I first got my camera. If I'm honest, looking back i struggled to get any photos up there that I'd be happy with, so maybe a return visit now I'm a little bit more comfortable with the camera is a good idea...... there's some other lovely spots in that area too, Armscliffe Crag being a favourite of mine, and Arthington Viaduct.

Oh yeah, I agree with one of the previous comments about lifting the shadow on the trees rather than dulling down the houses..... nice image[emoji106]

Oh so need another walk up there then! :D

Back