Good photography locations.

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
First up, I am just a hobbyist and this post isn't to try and gain access to media areas in place of a pro photographer!

I want to get into motorsports more as part of my photography hobby. Now the main problem is that I know little about the venues being mainly an armchair follower of motorsports!

I live in Gloucester in the South West and I have been to Castle Coombe on a number of occasions but not for photography. I'll be going there again this year so any tips on locations for photography would be great. In fact if you could be so kind, I would like to know of motorsport venues which are well regarded for spectator photography. Are there restrictions on DSLR or lens size at events?

I want to try my hand at rallying and have searching for local rallies, I also have my eye on the Silverstone Tyres BTRDA Gold Star Rally Championship website.

Are there any resources someone could point me at? I am googling away for events, but finding information on suitability for decent spectator photography or even if it is allowed isn't always straight forward.

Cheers :)

The only places I've ever seen spectator photography banned are when things are run in stadia or concert venue places (eg Race of Champions at Wembley or Supercross at the O2) and thats more to do with the venue than the motorsport!

Other than that non-commercial photography is permitted or at least tolerated.

That's excellent cheers. I don't mind travelling but as I'm pretty far from most circuits I'd like to pick one where I'm not a 1000 yards from the action :D

MX is a good shout, I'd forgot about that!

We do get grass track racing just down the road as well, I'll have to check when their next event is.

Have a look at the Hawkstone MX event coming up soon - that will be superb :D

Prescott hill climb every day

Owned by the Bugatti owners club, you always get a great mix of vehicles there. Access to trackside is so good you can shoot with short lenses in places. The owners and officials are really helpful too.

Ah yes of course! I did mean to go last year but a heavy night the night before put paid to that...

Looks like the bike festival is up first on 10th April. I need to get all these dates in my calendar and get some planning done. Cheers all.

Anytime at Prescott is good, but don't miss la vie en bleu sometime around may. There's usually a few veyrons, old bugattis etc plus plenty running up the hill.

Back