Good (south UK) landscape holiday location?

C

Creo

Wife and I are discussing where to go next Spring. We have been to Cornwall a few times, so now time to go somewhere else!
We were thinking of maybe the North York Moors, or Brecon Beacons, but dont know those areas, and wondered if there is anywhere else we should consider.
Ideally a mix of rugged type coast, and some inland terrain interest. Scotland is too far for us unfortunately.
So, any recommendations?

Many thanks.

Anywhere on the dorset coast is good, inland there isn't much, but the purbeck area is pretty good. You get the jurassic coast, durdle door, lulworth cove, purbeck hills and corfe castle. New forest is less than an hour away too but tbh it's mostly flat boring stuff...

Agree about Dorset coast. Also have a look at the coast between Seaford and Eastbourne; not far inland are some good parts of the South Downs, between Upper Beeding and Lewes.

It is not a rugged coast but north Norfolk is also very good.

Pity Scotland is too far because it really is spectacular.

Dave

Another +1 for the Dorset coast, you won't go wrong. The place is a photographic goldmind... (I am biased though).

You also then have Salisbury or Bath (biased again) near-ish by if you fancied a day trip to either.

North Somerset/Devon. That area has a rugged coast with the Quantocks, North Hill, Porlock Vale and Exmoor inland. There are also plenty of small scenic towns along the coast like Blue Anchor, Watchet and Lynton/Lynmouth to name a few. There are some good sized rivers too worth looking at for possible locations.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
Dorset is a must, its only a couple of hours from us so we'll go down for a weekend.
Was wondering what the North York Moors are like, and also maybe Wales?

Pembrokeshire would also be a good bet, including Skomer Island, though for the puffins you are looking at May/June/July.

Many thanks for the suggestions.
Dorset is a must, its only a couple of hours from us so we'll go down for a weekend.
Was wondering what the North York Moors are like, and also maybe Wales?
Dorset is great but does suffer from being photographed to death. However, if you want your very own version of Durdle Door, Lulworth Cove etc. then it's fine, and if it's not far from you then well worth a trip.
I'd also suggest Portland and Chesil Beach if you are in the area.

North Yorks is pretty good, with lots of landscape photo opportunities.
Inland you have several ruined Abbeys (Rievaulx, Fountains, Bolton, see here for more: http://www.britainexpress.com/counties/yorkshire/abbeys/index.htm) and several old castles.
On the coast is Whitby, Staithes, Robin Hood's bay and more, although again, somewhat over photographed.

You also have Lyme Regis, Wareham, Arne Nature reserve, Blashford Lakes (artificial for water sports) in Dorset which are very popular.

Then if you dont want to go so far up there is the Peak District and derbyshire dales there are some nice spots there... and some easier walking
Stanage Edge, The Roaches, Lathkill dale, Mam Tor, Castleton, Pennine Way to name a few....

My personal choice would be Snowdonia and North Wales. But that can be a bit more taxing.
Alternatively Brecon Beacons is a nice area,.
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Not exactly rugged coast, but how about Dedham Vale (aka Constable Country) with Orford Ness and the Suffolk coast close by?

Or the North Norfolk coast, as already mentioned?

A second vote for Pembrokshire simple stunning, Tenby, Newgale, St Davids, Amroth.

I'm off there soon staying in Saundersfoot

North Wales is good. I stayed in Llandudno working earlier this year and thought it was a lovely town and served as a great base to explore the Snowdonia national park, Anglesey, the Llyn peninsula to name a few places. The Pembrokeshire Coast is wonderful, but there's less of interest inland IMO.

kent and sussex coast is mainly like this, or at least where we have been and we live in East Sussex 10 mins from coast

Last edited:
Isle of Wight.

And when it rains, you can visit Dimbola Lodge. A photographic gallery and museum and the former home of Victorian photographer, Julia Margaret Cameraon.

Steve.

have a look at the gower peninsula in south wales some stunning coastline not far from neath for waterfalls and only a few hours from the breacon beacons.theres plenty to see and do...

Another vote for the Dorset coast.... Went to Dimbola a couple of years ago... what a great photographer she was. Amazing subjects as well.

Surely I've never seen those photographed before?

Funny that it was designated as a National Park, then ...
Are things only allowed to be photographed once then? And all in exactly the same way? I had no idea.

Also what would i know about the new forest, i have only lived and worked here for 10 years. I guess i missed the mountain ranges and endless white beaches, they must be hidden behind that vast, flat expanse of forest and heath. [emoji19]

New forest is less than an hour away too but tbh it's mostly flat boring stuff...

Find the book An English Forest by Richard Kraus and you would change your mind.

http://www.krausphoto.com/galleries/Collections/The_New_Forest

Also what would i know about the new forest, i have only lived and worked here for 10 years. I guess i missed the mountain ranges and endless white beaches, they must be hidden behind that vast, flat expanse of forest and heath.

Perhaps not then!!

Steve.

Last edited:
This is a bit biased as I'm not a million miles from Brecon but if it were me, I'd base myself in South / Mid Wales . From there you could head to the coast to places such as the Gower, the Jurassic coast (Southerndown / Monknash and head further east along the way) or you could head west to Tenby, St Davids (I love the place). You could head west to the Camarthen Fans, north west to the Elan Valley or head up Pen Y Fan but that now gets ridiculously busy.

James

Back