Beginner Good upgrade from Canon 40D?

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
No
Morning guys!

I've been looking to upgrade my trusty Canon 40d for a while. Mainly for the increase in Megapixels, Video capability going full frame.

I was thinking of getting a second-hand 6D, unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Thanks
Rich

I think the 6D is a cracking camera for the money, I've owned one for around 3 years now and it still impresses me with its apparent ability to take consistently nice looking photos. I've only used the video function on a couple of occasions though, but the results have looked OK for the short clips I've taken, so perhaps someone else can comment on that aspect if it's important to you?

However, don't forget that because the 6D is a full-frame camera the Canon fit EF-S lenses won't fit this camera, only the EF ones; so factor that is as a cost if you have lots of EF-S lenses that will need to be replaced (preferably with high-quality stuff such as Canon's 'L' series lenses or equivalent to experience the very best from the camera - although it should still do a good job with standard Canon EF lenses if the budget won't stretch to 'pro-quality' lenses yet).

If the cost of switching from EF-S lenses is too much then perhaps consider a mint condition used 7D Mk2, it's not full frame but lots of people seem to speak highly of them and they can take both EF and EF-S lenses. Once again, I don't know much about the video capability of the 7D II, so ask someone else about that! Anyway, best of luck choosing and let us know how you go on, hope my post was useful to you.

Hi, I upgraded a long time ago from the 40D to the 600D (yes I no it's not FF) but for what you can get for your money well worth it IMO.
I now do use a 6D along with the 70D, again a good camera. Better to go to the shop and actually hold the camera to see if the glove fits.
Russ

Thanks Badger and russell, appreciate the advice.

Well i've just purchased a Canon 70-200 F4 L for Equestrian/Sports photography which should be fine. But i don't think my Tamron 17-50 will fit a full frame mount. Either way, i'm planning on keeping both my 40D & 17-50 for the Inca Trail later this year :)

Video isn't that important to me, just a cool feature to have coming from a 40D i suppose!

I've been asked to do a photoshoot or two and feel a 6D and i'm thinking a Canon 24-105 to be best fit for the job and day to day photography.

Rich

If you're keeping your 40D body and purchasing a 24-105 to compliment your 70-200 then can I suggest that it would be worth getting a 17-40L instead of the Tamron which is usable only on the 40D. That gives you a 3 lens bag that fits both bodies. The Tamron is f2.8 compared to the Canons f4 so dont know how important that is to you. Mind you with the superb high ISO performance of the 6D that wouldnt put me off when needing to gain back the speed of that extra stop.

Thanks Gaza, Seems to make sense. i'll check out the 17-40!

Well i've just purchased a Canon 70-200 F4 L for Equestrian/Sports photography which should be fine.
It will be fine in the sense that you will be able to use it. But remember you'll lose a lot of reach; 70-200mm on a 6D has the field of view of 44-125mm on your 40D. You might want to think about whether that's enough for equestrian photography.

Agreed Stewart, may be a challenge but i'll just have to adapt! :)

The good thing is that the 6D being Full Frame and twice the pixels on the sensor as the 40D has enough latitude for cropping if the 200mm isnt quite enough reach. The 320mm equivalent at the 200mm end on the 40D is basically a cropped image anyway. Its still a 200mm focal length not an actual 320mm.

The good thing is that the 6D being Full Frame and twice the pixels on the sensor as the 40D has enough latitude for cropping if the 200mm isnt quite enough reach. The 320mm equivalent at the 200mm end on the 40D is basically a cropped image anyway. Its still a 200mm focal length not an actual 320mm.

Nice thought process Gaza, i like it.

I went from a 40D to a 6d.
Great choice, and particularly at a higher ISO makes a world of difference.

I also have a 70-200, but have a 1.4 converter if I feel I need the additional reach (I don't do equestrian, so don't know if this is suitable).

The quality of the images is SO much better. I have kept the 40d as a backup, but the number of times it has been used is minimal.

Remember, you will have to get SD cards as well if you move (not that it will cause too much financial hardship).

I went from a 40D to a 6d.
Great choice, and particularly at a higher ISO makes a world of difference.

I also have a 70-200, but have a 1.4 converter if I feel I need the additional reach (I don't do equestrian, so don't know if this is suitable).

The quality of the images is SO much better. I have kept the 40d as a backup, but the number of times it has been used is minimal.

Remember, you will have to get SD cards as well if you move (not that it will cause too much financial hardship).

Just what I was after Meeten, I'm hoping it's a nice increase in quality. It seems no matter how crisp my photo's are i feel like i am missing out on quality. Perhaps it's the pixel density or Sensor, but i can't wait to upgrade now!

I had a 40d and currently have a 6d. What you will miss is the build quality ( not just the obvious more plasticy body, there is more to it than that )
I also missed the little joystick for changing AF points and the set button / d-pad combo on the 6d is too small and tight together.
If you press the set button you cant help press the d-pad by accident and that's bad if you like to customise the set button and keep the d-pad on for changing AF points.
Well that probably makes no sense but I tried lol. The centre AF is great but the other are poor.
I also have a 7d and 1d mk3 and prefer them both over a 6d although yes the 6d smokes them both in terms of detail, crop headroom and iso performance.
The 7d and 1d mk3 however are much better cameras in many other ways though.

Hmmm the build quality of the 6D does raise some slight concerns, i suppose it's either between that or a 5d II.

I am in a similar dilemma to you Rich,although it's the 60D I'm considering upgrading to either a 6D or a 5D mk3 either both second hand or maybe a new 6D.Hard decisions to make!

Back