GOODBYE BRANDS HATCH GP LOOP

Dissapointing but probably inevitable with DTM returning & using the GP loop.
I'll give it this season to see how restrictive the fencing and areas not for public access are, but it may well stop me renewing my season ticket in the future.
Whilst spectator safety has to be of paramount importance, I don't think the likes of MSV appreciate that for many spectators the photography aspect is a big part of the appeal. Any chance of including some viewing 'Windows' in areas with catch fencing ?

Won't happen, but you kind of would like the restrictions to be in place for certain meetings and not others, if they had to be there...

Won't happen, but you kind of would like the restrictions to be in place for certain meetings and not others, if they had to be there...

I have been keeping an eye on this as I love the GP loop. Well still nothing in the press so I called Brands Hatch today to be informed there are fences going up at all areas that are open to the public. I asked where exactly and was told it is work in progress but it will be finish before the first GP meeting. This is the Blancpain 5th and 6th May. I asked will there be some areas closed off and was told they hoped not but due to safety they have had to make changes.

Not great news Martin, I was hoping it would only be selected areas that would be fenced but it sounds as of thats not going to be the case from what you've been told.

Its an awkward situation. Brands hatch has been losing its charm over the last 10 years with the deeper gravel traps and more run off before the gravel. (Paddock hill, druids etc). But I love to see the faster cars go round the track and in order to have those events you need to have the safety aspect.
I can see the outside of Sterling's being fenced off which is a favourite spot for Togs.

might of added more gravel but the fences havent moved. Everyone bemoans safety and yes motorsport is dangerous but I dont think anyone goes expecting that they could be seriously injured so yes there might be a few more fences that stop you taking photos but realistically its about the action on track not capturing images.

I haven't been but I know you will no longer be able to walk the narrow path between sheene curve and stirlings bend. (Where the seat? flipped the fence) It was a very narrow path and was pretty close to the circuit (excellent viewing). You will now have to follow the main path / roadway around.
Below is a photo I took from that path. Going to miss it.
Ive seen cars flip under the GP loop bridge, so you can only make tracks safe to a certain point. Cars can and will flip anywhere!

Blancpain 2017 by Nick Parker, on Flickr

I am unsure what has be done with regards to catch fencing, but it is in place apparently.

Oh no. Wish i could get my tickets refunded now. Total waste of time going.

If that is the cost of having the DTM, its better off being at silverstone. Another historic track lost to spectators.

Wish I could get my season pass money back :( could have put that towards petrol to visit other venues further afield and what really annoys me is they asked the public where they would like to see the DTM and a big majority voted for Donington wider circuit with long sweeping bends so better for overtaking and already fenced but they chose to ruin Brands

Last edited:
You would think they would put some windows in for togs but there is no consideration. Exactly what i would expect from Mr Palmer though.
I am quite happy to vote with my feet. I know it wont change a thing but i would rather not watch motorsport through glorified chicken wire. Blancpain, British GT and BTCC are all televised / streamed so i can watch more of the race anyway.

Looks like more trips to places like Zandvoort. They had DTM (possibly still do?) and havent got excessive catch fencing!

I didn't bother going today and won't bother tomorrow after seeing those new fences. I am glad I didn't get a season pass this year as I think it will just be The Masters one of the BSB rounds for me now.

You did the right thing Martin it was a lot worse than people thought it would be the whole of the GP loop has gone (apart from the area just after Johhny Herbert Bridge) all fenced or a no go area a lot of very very unhappy togs :( including me one fella I was chatting to had come down for the weekend he got on the mobile to cancel his hotel and headed for Oulton for BSB booking another room there

Last edited:
You did the right thing Martin it was a lot worse than people thought it would be the whole of the GP loop has gone (apart from the area just after Johhny Herbert Bridge) all fenced or a no go area a lot of very very unhappy togs :( including me one fella I was chatting to had come down for the weekend he got on the mobile to cancel his hotel and headed for Oulton for BSB booking another room there
Such a shame as a high % of people who go to the GP circuit have a camera so I guess they will also stop going sooner or later. If numbers drop prices will then go up even for the Indy.

@GAZA62 I normally take a platform thats around 18 inches to 2 foot tall.
If i take a step ladder will i have any luck or are the fences still to high? / just get pictures massively looking down on the cars?

That is well over the top IMHO. Quite sad really.

Im here now, so glad i didnt invest in new glass for this year. Would have been £1000 wasted. Virtually impossible to take photos on the GP loop that are any quality. All the good angles have gone. They have put some 'windows' in the fencing but not many, and they have vertical bars in the windows so basically they are pointless.

A few paths have been rerouted and some existing cheeky spots (e.g outside of hawthorns at the breaking zone) are now not possible to get to.

Next time i come, i wont be bringing my camera which is a real shame.

Im here now, so glad i didnt invest in new glass for this year. Would have been £1000 wasted. Virtually impossible to take photos on the GP loop that are any quality. All the good angles have gone. They have put some 'windows' in the fencing but not many, and they have vertical bars in the windows so basically they are pointless.

A few paths have been rerouted and some existing cheeky spots (e.g outside of hawthorns at the breaking zone) are now not possible to get to.

Next time i come, i wont be bringing my camera which is a real shame.

Saw those windows Nick they need them further along the fence that way you get the long shot looking back another tog I know grabbed a word with Mr Palmer in the Kentagon he said it was a pro tog that decided where to put them

What particularly annoyed me about this whole fence saga was not the decision to install it based on safety grounds, but the fact that there was no mention of any changes when I purchased my season pass in December. MSV must have known at that time that alterations were to take place but chose not to warn customers. Had I known how significant the restrictions were going to be I wouldn’t have bought a season pass.
As I think they should have advised people buying passes that viewing would be different to previous seasons I asked for a pro rata refund.

This was the response I received:

“ Thank you for your email, which Jonathan Palmer has read and asked me to respond on his behalf.

All MSV circuits have ongoing programmes of works aimed at improving spectator safety, and the installation of new FIA debris fencing on parts of the Grand Prix loop form part of that. These particular plans were finalised earlier this year and works were carried out in April.

As we are well aware that the Grand Prix loop is particularly popular for taking amateur photos, we took advice from a top professional motorsport photographer on positioning a number of photography ‘windows’ in the new debris fences. More of these will be added in time.

It is disappointing you do not recognise the obvious safety benefits of these changes, which were carried out at significant expense, and that you feel spectator consideration has been minimal, when in fact quite the opposite is true here. We note your request for a partial refund on your season pass but do not consider there any grounds for us to action this. “

Yours sincerely

Jessica

Jessica Pratt

PA to Jonathan Palmer

MotorSport Vision and PalmerSport

The Old Post Office, Worthing Road, Southwater, West Sussex RH13 9EZ

T: +44(0) 1403 733999

F: +44(0) 1403 734444

www.msv.com

www.palmersport.com

Brands Hatch Cadwell Park Donington Park Oulton Park Snetterton Bedford Autodrome

It's a shame they didn't take advice from top Amateur photographers ? I wonder if the Pro has given his verdict since they were erected. I think your refund request was perfectly acceptable and can't understand why they will not concur when they are considering spectators so much. I'll be writing after I witness it for myself at the Masters event.

CA17EEA6-3E37-4864-BC05-D1217D2C20EF.jpeg B9313916-8F97-4DDE-8E30-7E363F82BC19.jpeg 90DDF7ED-6439-43B6-8311-881105F7269B.jpeg 10187418-5478-43B9-8CBA-339F1B5E5DD3.jpeg

Attachments

• 5598DDBD-0B2C-4C68-91BA-59E45CF2B2B2.jpeg
    5598DDBD-0B2C-4C68-91BA-59E45CF2B2B2.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 10
26D92775-F37B-4C92-BDFF-1170FDDDBF37.jpeg 4875682D-B583-4111-A073-9D6398801C9B.jpeg 095FDD2A-5B4B-4D66-A49E-033A08EB6A72.jpeg

Attachments

• 4BC6583C-4B28-43EB-B23A-C0980EDB52E8.jpeg
    4BC6583C-4B28-43EB-B23A-C0980EDB52E8.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 11
C311F52A-BF28-4DEE-86D3-57365C880DB2.jpeg 1FFEF4BB-B1B3-4B4A-BD40-5201297E24AE.jpeg 81BB9EF8-2108-4D14-B4BB-53790A641154.jpeg

Attachments

• 4B6CE218-62BB-42B2-8E44-D75E530F559E.jpeg
    4B6CE218-62BB-42B2-8E44-D75E530F559E.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 10
That looks a right mess - and how the heck are you supposed to shoot through those "windows"

No guessing who the "professional photographers" were thinking about when they were consulted !

I was there for the recent BSB meeting and had mixed feelings about the new "catch fencing". 1st of all I couldn't see the point of the access panels at Pilgrims Drop, unless the cars bottom out and produce sparks or something? I was pleasantly surprised that there is still a large area at the inside of Hawthorn Bend with nothing at all in the way. The panels at Westfield are a joke, I think you would have a hit rate of about 5% trying to pan through them. They have made reasonable job at Stirlings, but I am 6ft 5" tall, so not exactly average size. The access panel on the left looked too low even for 5 foot people and the panel on the right required me to stand on tip-toe! I got some half decent shots, but there is really only room for 2 people per panel so more are definitely needed. Progress eh!

Back