Goodwood Festival Of Speed..advice please

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm thinking of going to Goodwood Festival of speed this year & would appreciate any suggestions from those of you that have been in previous years.

Longest lens I have is 70-200 F4, will this be suitable for positions on the hillclimb ? Also would like to take in the rally stage. Anyone know if this runs on the Friday, their website doesn't make it clear.

Any tips welcomed.

Went last year. Your 70-200 will be fine. Looking at my shots, most are below 180mm (on a crop sensor), with 180mm not fitting the whole car in frame. The only time I can think where 200mm won't be enough will be if you want photos of the red arrows as I think they are there every year.

Thanks. Thinking of going on the Friday and don't think Red Arrows are there then.
Is it easy enough to move around, or more a case of getting a good position and keeping it ?

I imagine it is not so bad on the Friday, but on Saturday and I imagine Sunday it gets pretty packed. What I did was find a good spot before each of the major runs, such as the f1 cars. Then when theres a break, walk around and find another spot for the next run. The programme is your friend. :)

Can't say much on the rally stage as I didn't manage to get there last year, will change that this year!

I did the rally stage last year. Good access. Better than the hill climb itself. I even got a passenger ride :)

My advice, take a pair of race overalls and wear those. People think your important and move out of the way.

Should imagine it is quite a buzz. Will be happy to get some decent photos if I can. I will be restricted to one day..not sure whether to go Friday or Saturday, guess there are pros and cons to both.

Thats what I was thinking. As long as rally stage runs on Friday, I will probably go that day. As a first timer to Goodwood I would prefer it even if it only a bit quieter. Looks like there will be plenty going on.

I will manage ok. Will have my wife in tow so she will have to get practising her route marching ! I take it like all these things, the earlier you get there the better. Did look at hotels nearby, but not surprisingly they all seem to be charging top dollar that weekend.

Thinking about it, if I were to try and wear race overalls, she'd be more than happy to be a few paces behind !

70-200 will be fine.

The rally stage has more photo ops than the hill climb.

Unless you are a car nut who just wants photos of cars because you like cars, I'd skip the hill climb and just shoot some detail shots of the static cars and some action shots of the rally.

The rally stage definitely runs on a friday, I only ever go on a Friday....

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. Will give Friday a go. Haven't taken any rally photos for a long time so will need to brush up a bit. I'm glad that my 70-200 should be ok.

My first comment is that if you really want to see everything and spend a decent amount of time watching the hill/rally stage you will need more than one day!

As above the rally stage is far better for photo opportunities than the hill, as unless you are at the hill early to bag a spot it is hard to get a decent view.

I appreciate that Lewis. Unfortunately I can probably only do one day, so will have to get there early and choose carefully what I try to fit in.
The rally stage is top of my list.

70-200 will be fine.
The rally stage definitely runs on a friday, I only ever go on a Friday....

My first comment is that if you really want to see everything and spend a decent amount of time watching the hill/rally stage you will need more than one day!

Glad to hear that, I am going Friday and Saturday, with a 70-200 and a 1.4X but wondering if I will have a better time with my S95 and less worry and no shoulder ache from not using my DSLR ??

David

For the OP there is a thread with some Goodwood pictures HERE

Last edited:
I appreciate that Lewis. Unfortunately I can probably only do one day, so will have to get there early and choose carefully what I try to fit in.
The rally stage is top of my list.

The rally stage isn't an all day thing and the top of the hill by the rally stage is quieter than lower down.

Glad to hear that, I am going Friday and Saturday, with a 70-200 and a 1.4X but wondering if I will have a better time with my S95 and less worry and no shoulder ache from not using my DSLR ??

I only took my SLR out on the day I went to the rally stage last year, as there are too many people around the hill/pits/static cars to get decent images anyway.

I'll certainly take my 40D + 70-200 & probably something shorter. Had a look at your shots from last year Paul, some nice ones there, plus some decent weather by the looks of it.

I've been going for several years

A few extra things to think about
Don't bother with a grandstand ticket if you want to take photos
Your car will be a long way away so carry all your needs when you leave it
If you don't like crowds, its not for you! :crowded:

2009 photos here

2010 photos here

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice David, I won't get a grandstand ticket for first visit. Enjoyed looking at your photos from last couple of years. You seemed to find places to shoot from with nice clean backgrounds.

My tip, take some comfy shoes, you will be doing alot of walking. As Andrew said, the car park is miles away.

Will do Matt.
Not having been before how much do you think can I reallistically fit in on one day ?

All of it :)

If you can spot the shot, take it and move on in search of another its perfectly doable in a day - thereby taking advantage of the freebie friday :)

Thats encouraging, I thought it might need a couple of days to do it justice.
Freebie Friday ?
Have seen posts elsewhere relating to complimentaries from The Times but was told The Telegraph might be sponsoring this years, is that what you mean by Freebie Friday ?

Yes, a reactionary newspaper you'd never normally buy gives away tickets for the Friday - best of all, you don't even have to buy the newspaper :)

You need to stay tuned though to find out when the applications open and then get in quick.

Personally, I've never paid and having been quite a few times, I don't think I would pay for it!

I haven't tried this as I'm not in the market for a new upmarket car, :crying: but if you have the time, you could pay £20 for a ticket to the moving motor show on Thursday.

This should give you access to the hillclimb (I'm not sure about the rally stage) for a good recce.

David

I normally go for the w/e (Thurs eve to Sunday night) as we camp nearby... my boy enjoys the camping almost as much as the cars LOL.
As said 70-200 is fine. There are a few good spots for shots. On the inside of the first corner after the start straight is great for panning shots. Get against the rope in front of the free little stands and you can get a perfect view over the straw bails. Also the bend that gets all the crashes (had to feel sorry for Cleland the other year) is the one just before the main viewing bank and straight before the flint wall. Not sure if mentioned earlier in the thread (I scanned it) but remember that the pits are fully open to you so take a lens for detail/close work if that interests you... be prepared for very loud engine start ups though ;)
And when the F1 boys are out the pits is crammed solid! I almost got Lewis's front wing in my shin... missed me by an inch.
Crowds are funny creatures, when Lewis was king you could stop and chat with Jenson at the top paddock... I bet that wont be the same this year :LOL:

I missed last year, but looking forward to getting back on the wagon (y)

Friday is a great day! Sunday is for the keen!

Thanks Andrew for the advice, very helpful. Friday sounds like a good choice for a first timer.

Back