Google operating system

Interesting stuff.

I wonder if they'll offer it for free?

I do like Chrome as a web browser. So much quicker and user-friendly than IE.

I wonder if they'll be able to design an OS as good?

-H

I read about this yesterday too.
It won't put me off buying a Mac but it's pretty good news for PC's :clap:

Think that there are going to be a lot of users that will be "stuck" with google once they start using this system. Not saying there is anything wrong with that- but least with Windows, you can use software like iTunes/Firefox etc.

Googles' belief that 'everyone' will only want to use web based apps is wrong I reckon. They appear to see the world from one side of the fence only, ignoring everyone looking from the other side.

I think we all know it's not going to be an outstanding OS for all at the first shot, but the important thing is this is the most threatening competition to Microsoft since...ever.
Competition is good. It's going to be the biggest rocket under Bill Gates' bum for a long time which can only be good for consumers in the long run.

Googles' belief that 'everyone' will only want to use web based apps is wrong I reckon. They appear to see the world from one side of the fence only, ignoring everyone looking from the other side.

From my experience I think they're right. I've moved all my email, calendars, documents to Google Aps. I can't remember the last time I opened Open Office or MS Office or any other app on my computer apart from a web browser and AIR apps that let me use my social networks like Twitter, Flickr etc. I think they've got it spot on. Why else do you think MS has been pushing it's online Office suite in a hurry? To compete with Google Aps. Today people want to take as much of their information with them without restriction, internet applications provide that... and they're pretty secure and reliable to boot.

It makes sense that they are targetting this OS for netbooks at this stage. Perfect hardware platform for this.

Lets all switch from a giant conglomerate that wants to rule the world, to ..... ummm :thinking: another giant conglomerate that wants to rule the world :shrug:

From my experience I think they're right. I've moved all my email, calendars, documents to Google Aps. I can't remember the last time I opened Open Office or MS Office or any other app on my computer apart from a web browser and AIR apps that let me use my social networks like Twitter, Flickr etc. I think they've got it spot on. Why else do you think MS has been pushing it's online Office suite in a hurry? To compete with Google Aps. Today people want to take as much of their information with them without restriction, internet applications provide that... and they're pretty secure and reliable to boot.

Not everybody is continuly connected to the internet for one. Internet only apps certainly do not work in the corporate environment (yet).

Sounds rubbish to me. Both OS-X and Windows have been 20 years in the making and Google now reckon they can enter the market with this in 12 months!...Tosh!!!

Why would I want a OS that will only work fully when connected to the internet. Have you ever tried to get a internet signal hurtling from Lancaster to London on a Pendilion service?

Quite funny reading - http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-all-take-deep-breath-and-get-some.html

DB

Sounds rubbish to me. Both OS-X and Windows have been 20 years in the making and Google now reckon they can enter the market with this in 12 months!...Tosh!!!

Why would I want a OS that will only work fully when connected to the internet. Have you ever tried to get a internet signal hurtling from Lancaster to London on a Pendilion service?

Quite funny reading - http://fakesteve.blogspot.com/2009/07/lets-all-take-deep-breath-and-get-some.html

DB

im assuming because osx and windows have to be backwards compatible to a degree and are built using previous versions as a platform. whereas this will be designed from ground up to suit the current needs of a user, and noone is writing virus' or such like, i doubt there will be many threats to it.

i thought apple were doing quite well as a threat to windows? albeit slowly gaining market share:shrug:

Not everybody is continuly connected to the internet for one. Internet only apps certainly do not work in the corporate environment (yet).

You're absolutely correct, and that's why Adobe Air was born :D

One of the reasons Internet based applications haven't taken off in the corporate environment is that many business are simply too comfortable with what they've got. I think forward thinking companies are more likely to be the ones to embrace this kind of technology, but we're going away from the purpose of this OS... netbooks, many of which are owned by individuals and not corporations.

I should also mention that you can use the google aps offline. They sinc when an internet connection is found.

Lets all switch from a giant conglomerate that wants to rule the world, to ..... ummm :thinking: another giant conglomerate that wants to rule the world :shrug:

Absolutely. My predicition - the frankly dull people who knee jerkingly berate microsoft all the time, will do exactly the same thing at google in a few years, when google basically becomes the new microsoft.

One of the reasons Internet based applications haven't taken off in the corporate environment is that many business are simply too comfortable with what they've got. I think forward thinking companies are more likely to be the ones to embrace this kind of technology, but we're going away from the purpose of this OS... netbooks, many of which are owned by individuals and not corporations.

Here's some more right off the top of my head. If I thought about it I'm sure there would be more ;)

Compatability with other organisations
Compatability with other systems
Compatability with bespoke systems
Security
Accessability
training/re training cost
functionality
less professional look (bit tenuous maybe)
no access to information when connection's down

It's an interesting development though and to be fair some of the google apps work pretty well. We outsource telesales and use a google calendar to allow the telesales folk to make appointments without giving them direct access to our systems. The appointment then feeds right into my outlook calendar and gets shared with those I want to share it with.

The problem I have with it is, and I might just be being cynical, is that I can't see this being free for ever. Fine, make it a loss leader to pick up some market share but down the line, with dozens ( :p) of people using it Google are bound to turn round and say, "we need to recover some of these development costs". What happens then? Ah, the google apps you now depend on have a cost associated with them, over time that cost grows and you're no better off than you were initially.

Here's some more right off the top of my head. If I thought about it I'm sure there would be more ;)

Security
Accessability
functionality

It's an interesting development though and to be fair some of the google apps work pretty well. We outsource telesales and use a google calendar to allow the telesales folk to make appointments without giving them direct access to our systems. The appointment then feeds right into my outlook calendar and gets shared with those I want to share it with.

The problem I have with it is, and I might just be being cynical, is that I can't see this being free for ever. Fine, make it a loss leader to pick up some market share but down the line, with dozens ( :p) of people using it Google are bound to turn round and say, "we need to recover some of these development costs". What happens then? Ah, the google apps you now depend on have a cost associated with them, over time that cost grows and you're no better off than you were initially.

I can imagine ads all over your company letterheads ;)

Of course all working on the assumption we all have internet connections of sufficent quality, or can even get online! TBH Google need to sort their own systems out, I've now blocked google ads and their syndication servers (via my hosts file) as 9 times out of 10 slow page loading was caused by their poxy ads / tracking software etc running on most sites. It's the one tweak I've made that REALLY increased my internet performance.

Carl

i know what you mean, my computer keeps coming up with page cannot be displayed wherever google ads are meant to appear these days anyway.

Security
Accessability
functionality

That list of things, they're also relevant to stand alone applications too, so I'm not sure how well that list does to defend your argument. I guess they'd be more applicable if you were looking to move from one thing to another and find it hard to justify the extra cost, but if you are a new start up then it's definitely an attractive route.

Google Aps also offer a commercial service which is probably what you'd be looking at if you were to replace your companies current software setup. With regards to functionality, I've seen surveys and research papers that show that around 70-90% of Office application features are rarely used if ever.

Where I work, all our CRM, project management, email and file versioning is done online and enables us to basically work anywhere in the world that has a net connection and a browser. It's kinda exciting.

That list of things, they're also relevant to stand alone applications too, so I'm not sure how well that list does to defend your argument. I guess they'd be more applicable if you were looking to move from one thing to another and find it hard to justify the extra cost, but if you are a new start up then it's definitely an attractive route.

Google Aps also offer a commercial service which is probably what you'd be looking at if you were to replace your companies current software setup. With regards to functionality, I've seen surveys and research papers that show that around 70-90% of Office application features are rarely used if ever.

Where I work, all our CRM, project management, email and file versioning is done online and enables us to basically work anywhere in the world that has a net connection and a browser. It's kinda exciting.

Guys, this is only aimed the netbook market, it is not aimed as a desktop replacement and you'd be foolish to think otherwise. It's really nowt new, remote working has been a reality for years (Citrix, VPN connectivity etc), as have distributed apps etc. Seen it all before.

Good luck to 'em I say.

Carl

I have used GOS on my old desktop for a while and it's great - very similar to ubuntu - assuming this is the same OS as in this thread.

edit - It's not - It's Good OS - link here http://www.thinkgos.com/gos/index.html

It just has loads of google gadgets.

but we're going away from the purpose of this OS... netbooks, many of which are owned by individuals and not corporations.

Guys, this is only aimed the netbook market, it is not aimed as a desktop replacement and you'd be foolish to think otherwise. It's really nowt new, remote working has been a reality for years (Citrix, VPN connectivity etc), as have distributed apps etc. Seen it all before.

Good luck to 'em I say.

Carl

;)

KayJay :amstupid: I was having the exact same argument with one of the rabid anti-MS guys at work whilst responding... Google are a bit of a RyanAir in some respects, no such thing as bad press ;)

Carl

from the google site

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks.

I think there's no doubt that in the longer term they'll be targetting desktops as well.

Back