Spy

Edit My Images
No
It looks like Google are squaring off against Apple and Amazon with a raft of new product announcements today.

Of most interest is their new Pixel smartphone that boasts to have the best camera of any phone...ever !

Other interesting products include Google Home, Google WiFi and an upgraded Chromecast as well as more details about their Artificially Intelligent assistant.

More details here: http://www.buzzpods.com/google-pixel-smartphone/

I think people tend to stick with the brands they know.

If it were half the cost of the equivalent Apple/Samsung device, it would be tempting but considering its not, people will likely not venture into the unknown.

Personally I don't think Google will get anywhere near a decent share of this market.

I think Google have a good chance.

They do have a track record in this space with their Android operating system that is found in multiple smartphones and their previous line of Google Nexus phones.

The main difference here is that they are moving upmarket into Apple territory.

They will need to get more acceptance by the carriers I think. It is interesting to see that One Plus managed to do that with one carrier, surely the Google Pixel could be made available on any network contract? It would be my choice for Android as you'll get it pure, but I would want it on contract not outright purchase.

What is more interesting is how Google's long term partners such as Samsung, KG etc will take the news that Google is now a competitor, as well as the supplier of their operating system !

I think google have lost the plot

nexus 6 - 6' screen
nexus 6p - 5.7' screen
pixel xl - 5.5" screen

looks like i will be sticking with the 6

The main difference here is that they are moving upmarket into Apple territory.

Personally, I think that is what will be their downfall.
I could be wrong, its just a feeling.

My other half was looking for a new Android phone to replace the Galaxy S5, she chose an S7 Edge based on my recommendation.
I stick with what I know, she had a Samsung and it worked. I wouldn't take the risk of moving to something else.

I think its a brave move and it will all depend how good it is, they will sell them to break even, something apple cannot do.

Google is just the name on the phone though, Samsung, LG, Motorola have all done the hardware in the past and are all respected manufacturers. If anything a Google phone, be it Nexus or Pixel, is usually quicker and more user friendly due to vanilla Android on them. They also receive the latest security and OS updates first.
I've had a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5 and both were fantastic.

Google is just the name on the phone though, Samsung, LG, Motorola have all done the hardware in the past and are all respected manufacturers. If anything a Google phone, be it Nexus or Pixel, is usually quicker and more user friendly due to vanilla Android on them. They also receive the latest security and OS updates first.
I've had a Nexus 4 and a Nexus 5 and both were fantastic.
This time around it is slightly different. Previously there was a merrygoround between the manufacturers. This time google made it very clear they designed and specified it. It wouldn't surprise me when they were to go down the Foxconn or similar manufacturer route like Apple opposed to use one of the big oem. With this phone they've firmly moved into hardware as well.

Are the Pixels not made by HTC though?
Build by HTC designed by Google I understand which is a real departure from the Nexus range which were build and designed by the oem of the year.

Still though, reputable manufacturer and I'm sure Google know what they're doing with the design side of things.

Still though, reputable manufacturer and I'm sure Google know what they're doing with the design side of things.
Not arguing with that at all, just pointing out that they are going in a different direction and it is much more than just their name on it.

Me neither :)

Be interesting to see how they fair against Apple. The Nexus line was massively overlooked I think.

Be interesting to see how they fair against Apple. The Nexus line was massively overlooked I think.

Supply was often awkward, certainly when first launched, and the hardware wasn't always impressive either - the first Nexus running hot when navigating and the battery charge dropping even when plugged into a mobile charger. On the couple of occasions when I'd have bought one, the google store didn't have stock.

This link is an interesting read: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/07/pixel_turns_android_oems_into_roadkill/

Last edited:

I think branding and carrier availability was the issue with the Nexus line. At least pricing used to be good and making it worthwhile, it will be very interesting to see whether they can go from cheap and great value, to very expensive and great value. I think it will require a lot of marketing dollars. But with Samsung going through a super bad patch, now is the time to grab that high end Android market.

Back