GoPro hero 5 night lapse Video?

Name
Allan
Edit My Images
No
I'm feeling pretty thick at the moment, but, i have just bought a Hero 5 black and expected it to have similar night lapse setting to my old hero 4. It has 3 options now, time lapse video, time lapse photo and night lapse photo.
I haven't really had time to check these out properly yet, as I don't have my laptop, but could I record night lapse video of the Milky Way and play it back as a video? I tried time lapse photo ( which I assume is similar to night lapse photo) and ended up with 999 images and no way to convert these to a video on my iPad using GoPro capture.
I'll have my laptop in a couple of days and be able to use GoPro studio or the newer Quik version. Does this convert time lapse photo to video?

Well, loads of views but I found the answer to this when I got to my laptop.

Had a look at Davinci, I downloaded the free version, but can't for the life of me start to edit anything. I can import the clips but when I go to the edit screen, I can't find any projects, or the projects I have are all blank.
Think I'll stick with GoPro Quik and Studio till I can sort Davinci out, I've used Studio with a GoPro 3, 4 Silver and black and now a 5 Black and it has never crashed on me. It might be that I am using the Mac version, but even so, i'm not too old mpressed with the editing capabilities of Studio.

I don't think you can import projects, find the individual clips.
You go to the first page, media, and import your clips in there (find them in your folder, then drag them into the large space at the bottom).
Then go to the edit page and you'll see the clips in the top left window, drag the ones you want to use onto the timeline and away you go.
There are lots of good tutorials on YouTube.

Last edited:
I've looked on YT and seen a couple of tutorials, I am doing as you suggest and now managed to get a clip into the edit window and dragged it down to the timeline. For some reason, I dont see any individual frames, just a blue or green bar. I can edit the video now but the video is in such a small window I can't really see what I'm doing.
Back to YouTube I think!

Press control F for full screen, it is a small window, but you can switch things off to make the window bigger. It's aimed at high end editors, so I guess they're assuming you've got a couple of huge screens to play on. The playback isn't great on my laptop either, and I have to put music on and finish off in Pinnacle, but I've sort of got a workflow going now, even though I don't really know what I'm doing. I'd like some one to one tuition myself :)

Press control F for full screen, it is a small window, but you can switch things off to make the window bigger. It's aimed at high end editors, so I guess they're assuming you've got a couple of huge screens to play on. The playback isn't great on my laptop either, and I have to put music on and finish off in Pinnacle, but I've sort of got a workflow going now, even though I don't really know what I'm doing. I'd like some one to one tuition myself :)
thanks, I've been using GoPro Studio to edit a couple of short time lapses I've just done, but I find there is very little you can do to enhance the clips before they look a mess. I'll have another go at Davinci and put the same clips through to compare the results.
I'm with you on the last but one sentence in your post.....

Sorry, but I gave up using the GoPro software fairly quickly as it kept crashing. It also didn't work very well with the footage from my other camera so I've ended up editing all my clips in DaVinci.

At the moment I cant even get GoPro studio to run on my PC. It loaded the first time I tried it but now just will not run. I'm waiting for their support people to help me out.
Will try DaVinci in the meantime.

Have you tried installing Quik? It comes with an updated version of Studio

Have you tried installing Quik? It comes with an updated version of Studio

Yes, installed Quick but Studio would not run, GoPro has sent me a list of things to try to solve the problem. They say that others have had similar issues....
Will try what they have said to do when I have some time.

Back