Got it – now what? (ND grads)

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I have been waiting for a long time and finally I got them. ND soft grads by Hitech.
I still haven’t tried them properly, but I have attached them to the camera yesterday and to my surprise, looking through the camera and sliding the filter up and down, it was really difficult to see where the ‘interface’ between the dark and transparent is. I have always imagined that it will be very easy to use, just cover the sky with dark part of the appropriate filter and that is it, but in reality it is not that easy to see where the dark part of the filter actually is – or is it just me?
Any tips?

Pietrach

I'm not sure if your camera had a depth of field preview button. I find it easier to find the line when pressing the button when at about f8 shows the gradation of the filter better.

Another trick is to just rotate it 90 degree of the way, then slide it around again. You can usually see it then as it rotates back.

Or use the depth of field preview. The effect is more apparent on wide lenses or lenses with a large field of view.

Also, if you got soft grads the difference will be quite difficult to notice, more so on a crop body.

Even more so if you're zoomed in.
I also noticed that because the graduation starts off so slightly, you have to push the filter down quite a long way to see the effect as the graduation seems to get more severe the further up the filter you go.

Back