Beginner Got me a RX100m3 but ain't got a clue how to use it :D

Edit My Images
Yes
So this is my first post and why ive joined. Hello folks.

I also know nothing about photography but looking forward to learning both. This looks like a great forum and looking at the pics here a lot of knowledgeable pro's.

Reason I bought the RX100m3 is that it's so small that I will take it out and use it more instead of my phone. I also have a Fujifilm X-S1 but because of its size I just don't take it out hence I've hardly used it and it's just been sitting in the wardrobe. So the Fuji is going to be sold.

Deciding on a compact camera came down to the RX100m3, canon G7Xm2 and the panny lx100. The canon was going to be my choice but with the sony dropping in price recently and with my work discount I could get it a lot cheaper than the other two.

Anyway I'm going to be reading all beginer guides around here and having a play when I get some spare time.
One question is what's a good software program for altering pictures? I have Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 which I bought years ago, is this any good to use?

Cheers.

I know nothing about compacts so can't answer that bit, but Paintshop I do know about. If you take RAWs (do compacts do RAW?) your version isn't going to be able to read it. If you're taking JPEGs it'll be fine. You may find down the line that PSP X3 lacks features you'd like. That would be the time to buy a newer version or change to Lightroom/Photoshop, but what you have will definitely get you started.

I know nothing about compacts so can't answer that bit, but Paintshop I do know about. If you take RAWs (do compacts do RAW?) your version isn't going to be able to read it. If you're taking JPEGs it'll be fine. You may find down the line that PSP X3 lacks features you'd like. That would be the time to buy a newer version or change to Lightroom/Photoshop, but what you have will definitely get you started.

The Sony RX100 MkIII can be configured to shoot RAW + JPEG, which is what I would recommend you do.

Adobe Lightroom is probably the most widely used image processing software. It's main purpose is to perform RAW processing but it can also be used for JPEGs.

The Sony RX100 MkIII can be configured to shoot RAW + JPEG, which is what I would recommend you do.

Adobe Lightroom is probably the most widely used image processing software. It's main purpose is to perform RAW processing but it can also be used for JPEGs.

I'll get paintshop loaded back up on my PC (if it will work on win 7) I remember when I had a play with it years ago it was quite complicated.

Is Lightroom easy to use as one thing I do want to try is using RAW images. Seems quite expensive :(

There are plenty of photoshop type programs, gimp is a freeware version. Look on YouTube for tutorials and how to guides.

The rx100m3 is a great little camera.

There is a thread dedicated to rx100 owners on here. May also be worth posting in there.

Yes you can shoot in jpeg and raw which is a great advantage.

I mainly use the camera in intelligent auto most of the time. I find that very good imho.
The video quality is very good too.

Enjoy and get out there and use it

Its worth pointing out that The Sony RX100 mk3 will only work with Lightroom version 5.5 and above or Photoshop CS6 and above for RAW editing.

It requires adobe camera raw 8.5 or above which cannot be used in earlier versions of photoshop/lightroom.

Why not try the software that comes bundled with the camera first just to get you going.

As Stuart said, if you have bundled software with the camera that will likely give better results than an old piece of software that is designed for pixel editing, rather than image development and management.

To put that in context, digital cameras create what is effectively a digital 'negative' that requires processing before it's viewable. All cameras will do this processing internally - the equivalent of sending a film away for development & printing - to produce images that may look OK but won't be optimised. With some cameras like the RX100 it is possible to obtain and manipulate the raw 'negative' image in order to create a better finished picture. The advantage of this is that the raw file will hold more detailed information that enables creation of a better image than the camera might manage alone, and will allow better alteration of things like colour balance, highlight and shadow detail, overall brightness and tone and a bunch of other things. This is done most easily with software designed for image development, rather than software designed for editing images by altering individual pixels - not that these cannot be used for image development - but like PSP and GIMP etc, they are often more complicated than necessary.

Examples of image development software are Lightroom, DXO Optics Pro, Capture One (all commercial) Raw Therapee, Darktable, UFRaw (free/shareware). Most of us use Lightroom, but all of these have their fans.

Thanks for the great info. The sony comes with play memories home so i shall have a look at that when i finally get out and take some pics.

I'll get paintshop loaded back up on my PC (if it will work on win 7) I remember when I had a play with it years ago it was quite complicated.

Is Lightroom easy to use as one thing I do want to try is using RAW images. Seems quite expensive :(
you can download a fee months trial of Lightroom and photoshop, when the trial is over you can still use the basic editing and photo organisation aspect of lightroom for free, when at least you can after a subscription and I'm pretty certain also after a month trial also

Last edited:
Back