Got my first slides

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
Got my first slides developed today. While some of them are clearly underexposed, especially if the shot had a lot of sky, most look fantastic when projected. A screen will make it look so much better - or maybe getting a wall painted white...:D

Just one thing, many of the slides have a warm colour , a reddish tinge- as if a warm filter had been used. Is that normal for slides, or is it something to do with the film. It was a Fuji 400 film.

Just one thing, many of the slides have a warm colour , a reddish tinge- as if a warm filter had been used. Is that normal for slides, or is it something to do with the film. It was a Fuji 400 film.

The last time I shot any slide film was back in the late 80s, so I can't comment on today's equivalents, but at the time I used to find the Kodak Ektachrome always looked 'cooler' than Kodachrome. Not sure on the Fuji's as I can't honestly recall if I ever tried any, but there was certainly colour print film which delivered more saturated and 'warmer' colours than others.

Hi Ujjwal,

were you filtering at all, or going for long exposures?

Long exposures with slide often require colour balancing filters as well as additional exposure, unless you like the colour shift (which I do in Velvia 50)

Velvia is kinda warm, but iso 400 doesn't exist, your gonna have to be more specific than Fuji 400..:)

The only fuji 400 slide I can think of is provia, unless its old and there's a colour shift thruogh age

Hi Ujjwal,

were you filtering at all, or going for long exposures?

Long exposures with slide often require colour balancing filters as well as additional exposure, unless you like the colour shift (which I do in Velvia 50)

There was the usual UV filter, nothing else. It was 1/30th or faster.

Fujichrome Sensia 400 maybe?

Good to know you've put some film through one of your lovely cameras. Hopefully we'll get to see the results as well.

lol...Nick, I do it every weekend. But this scanning thing takes too much fiddling around. Will try to scan some tonight though; and if successful, will put them up...

Please let it be the Xpan.... I so love the combination of Xpan's and Velvia!

Sorry, the film was velvia 100.

ahhh..

Velvia 100 is warm, like 50, but neither are bang to rights obvious unless you take a real good look at the slide.
Velvia 100F has more saturation but less of a warm hue..:)

Please let it be the Xpan.... I so love the combination of Xpan's and Velvia!

Just left one roll for processing from the xpan. Flipping heck, the charges are unbelievable. It was cheaper to buy the camera..

Also realised that the wall I was projecting on had a wallpaper with a slight reddish hue. Projected it on a white door and the warmth was much reduced..

Got to get that screen.....:D

Just left one roll for processing from the xpan. Flipping heck, the charges are unbelievable. It was cheaper to buy the camera...

I SERIOUSLY doubt that:LOL: I have noticed it's a LOT more than normal rolls though - I guess it's because they have to manually clip the film rather than just running it through the machine. Worth every penny though for the results... I'm not actually a mad gear-freak, but the Xpan is one camera that I really do covet!

This could easily be to do with the bulb in your projector or even the colour of the wall, if that's primarily how you're viewing them. A lot of my friends shoot slide and get them mounted specifically because of the fact that when they project them they become warmer and more 'nostalgic' to look at. Have you scanned them, and if you have do they look cooler on screen?

I've recently made the definitive move to tranny over negative (apart from 160VC and NPH/400H) after a lot of deliberation between the two types and it really is such a nice difference. Even looking at the actual 35mm/120 strips in real colour makes the whole process so much more gratifying!!!

This could easily be to do with the bulb in your projector or even the colour of the wall, if that's primarily how you're viewing them. A lot of my friends shoot slide and get them mounted specifically because of the fact that when they project them they become warmer and more 'nostalgic' to look at. Have you scanned them, and if you have do they look cooler on screen?

I've recently made the definitive move to tranny over negative (apart from 160VC and NPH/400H) after a lot of deliberation between the two types and it really is such a nice difference. Even looking at the actual 35mm/120 strips in real colour makes the whole process so much more gratifying!!!

It's also really satisfying when you process you're own, and get the finished article straight out of the developing tank :D

I really wish I had the facilities to do such a thing, I'm currently living in student digs while studying at Brighton University and I don't think my housemates would appreciate the constant smell of developer parading around the house, haha! I am able to soup my own B&W at uni but colour, especially E-6 is out of the question for at least the next 3 years until I get a place of my own...

I really wish I had the facilities to do such a thing, I'm currently living in student digs while studying at Brighton University and I don't think my housemates would appreciate the constant smell of developer parading around the house, haha! I am able to soup my own B&W at uni but colour, especially E-6 is out of the question for at least the next 3 years until I get a place of my own...

I do E6 and C41 in the same tank and sink that I process BnW, hardest bit is keeping the temperature up at 38c, but with half a sink of water, it stays at temperature for long enough to get the first couple of temperature sensitive stages over. Only real problem is the disposal of the used chemicals, might have to have a quiet word with someone running a local minilab, and see if they'll include the odd extra couple of litres of used chems.

dude it'll be fine I use a big print tray for all my chems and a watch and thermometer

need to learn how to use a dark bag for the summer

Back