Grad ND filter holders for Canon 700d - 18-55mm and 10-18mm

User.84501

Suspended / Banned
Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I have started to learn more about landscape photography and have started experimenting with long exposures on my local beach mostly at sunrise. I have some round screw ND filters which I use to make the water all misty and smooth however the sky is always blown out. I know now that I require some graduated ND filters where I can move the filter up/down accordingly with the horizon however don't know what size holder to get: P series, z or x pro.

I have a canon 700d that I use with my 18-55 lens. I am thinking of getting the 10-18mm in the future if it makes a difference to the size of the holder I require.

I just need to know what size filter holder to get as I read that some can cause vignetting on wide angle lens.

Has anyone had any experience with these holders with a similar camera set up?

many thanks

Thanks, by 'used to' do you now not bother with these type of filters or have you upgraded your kit so don't need the P size any longer?

No, I don't have a 10mm lens any more :0) I still use Cokin P holders/filters but now have a Samyang 12mm on my Sony A6000 and 35mm on my medium format film kit.

Also, don't pay a fortune for branded filter holders/adaptor rings. They're all exactly the same so you can pick up a P sized holder and multiple adaptor ring for less than £20 on Amazon/EBay. Don't think you have to spend hundreds on Lee/Firecrest holders.

Thanks, what would you recommend in terms of filters for someone trying to do long exposure landscapes? soft grad or hard grad?

Soft or hard is influenced by the scene rather than the exposure length. Soft doesn't show the transition as much so good for generally lighter scenes where you would see the more obvious transition of a hard grad. I've always used a combination of ND2/4/8 and 2/4/8 grads along with some variable NDs for when I want to travel light but still shoot long exposures.

I've had to google some here; so Cokin A series are 62mm accross the holder slots, Cokin P are 82mm accross the holder slots.

So, the holders I've been using pretty happily for the last 20 years are definitely the smaller Cokin A.... And I am somewhat bemused by the suggestion in so many places that the P-series are the more 'popular'... They never used to be! Seems to be true though; O/H decided to buy me a new filter case for Christmas, when my bulging old one spilled its entire contents across her lap, and they rattled around in the new cases slots like a pea in a pint pot! So she bought me a set of P-Filters and holder :) however...

Other thing I googled was Rockwell, as he usually makes a point of looking at the filter rings and commenting... Cannon 10-18 apparently has 67mm filter ring. (18-55, I 'think' has a 58mm filter ring) So, you would probably be 'better' off with larger 82mm filter for that one.. but given that larger P series are now the more 'usual' probably the better choice anyway; and many holder kits or even filter starter kits come with set of swivel rings to mount the holder on different size filter threads for different lenses, BUT if buying individually check the actual lens you have for the swivel ring you need for it.

Curiously, I have only ever experienced vignetting from a slot filter holder, (62mm) on the 70-210 lens with very large 72mm filter ring, I have for my old 35mm film cameras.. and I didn't spot that for twenty years, as its only visible in the very extreme portion of the frame corners, which tended to be chopped off by Boots when they cropped 2:3 proportion frame to fit on 5x7 proportion print! So I've only seen it scanning the old negs and seeing whats lurking in the corners! But then I haven't really used filters on Digital, other than screw on Polariser..and not even that on my Ultra-Wide-Angle...

Rockwell, didn't comment on what size filter he used on the 10-18, but he DID comment that he got vignetting at 10mm, but not 11mm, despite also commenting that 'thin filters aren't really needed', and slot filter holders are significantly deeper than even a couple of stacked standard screw on's... so I would be wary, that you are likely to get vignetting, even with larger 82mm filters on a UWA, due to the protrusion.

On the 18-55, It's likely irrelevant.

Which is to broach another tangential topic... if you read up on UWA's you'll likely find the advice that they are 'not' the best lenses for landscapes; more land, seldom a better landscape makes... they tend to pack in more 'boring', and compress what 'interest' may be in them... they are better for getting up close and expanding small spaces, getting 'depth' from the more dramatic perspective rendering, than grabbing big areas of 'wide' open space... you have been warned....

So likely not using one as you might expect, you likely wont use filters on one as you expect. And they do have a few quirks if you were to try. My UWA (Sigma 8-16), doesn't have a filter ring to mount filters or filter holder. & I don't particularly miss the feature. Oft commented that the 'only' filter that you really 'need' is a polariser, as it's the only one with an effect you cant get in any other way; and it has been my most used filter over the years. In fact, so 'used' I actually bought individual screw on CPL's for my 18-55 & 55-300 lenses for the electric-picture-maker, and likewise have a couple on more used film camera lenses.

But, a polariser, has 'best' polarizing effect when the lens axis is at aprox 90 degrees to the light source; but the effect weakens as the angle reduces... A 'standard angle' lens (50mm on 35mm/FF) has a Field of View of about 45 deg, 22.5deg either side of the axis, and as you go more 'telephoto' so that angle shrinks and the FoV is closer to a thin shaft about the axis, and the difference in incident angle between one side of the frame and the other, tends to nil the more telephoto you go; but going the other way, difference in incident angle from one side of the frame to the other starts to increase, and markedly. Horizontal FoV of the 10-18, @10mm is quoted at 107Deg... So, point the camera lens' axis 90 Degrees to the light source.... incident light angle at the edge of the frame, is now only 37 degrees one side, 143 the other.... and the polarizing effect creates a 'fade' across the frame, in both exposure, where its offering more filtration at one angle to another, but also in the saturation and contrast it effects... This polarizer 'fade' is likely to make a polariser unsuitable in many instances on a UWA; but same 'mechanics' can make using any filters that much more demanding, (much like the lens itself) and grads, may NOT be the 'quick fix' for the likely problem a wide lens suffers cramming a wider area of land into the frame, bringing a greater contrast range with it, you hope to filter down, or can bring more consequential problems by way of lens flare or filter reflection, due to that wide incident light angle changing so much accross the frame, as well as making it more difficult to exclude hotspots or string side lighting from the FoV in framing.

BUT, conclusion is; 62mm A-Series filters will likely do a good enough job on your 18-55, and probably any telephoto that doesn't have a particularly large filter ring. 82mm P-Series filters, probably wont do the job very much better. just take up more room in the gadget bag, but you probably wont use many, on digital, where you can get most creative filter effects much better in post-process, so the larger size may not be such a handicap, and may make them easier to handle. As to the UWA, the larger filter system is the safer bet, with such a large FoV, vignetting is very likely, even with ordinary screw on filters, protrusion of a system filter on a screw on swivel ring, makes it even more so... you probably cant avoid it. But, UWA's are demanding lenses to use, without filters, even more so with them; and it may not be something you actually want to do very often if you go for one.

Last edited:
Sorry Mike but I generally struggle to get to the end of your posts!

To address a couple of your points;

1) Cokin A filters were the original size and covered most film era lenses which generally have smaller filter sizes due to them being generally smaller lenses (no AF motors etc). Cokin P size are more the standard now due to the requirement for larger filters to cover larger digital use lenses.

2) An ultrawide isn't a bad lens for landscapes, a photographer using one incorrectly is. Walking up to a scene and just trying to fit as much of it into your frame without thinking about composition will lead to boring shots at 10mm or 80mm. All images need foreground interest and something in the frame to lead the eye through to the main subject (leading lines). The focal length of the lens doesn't determine this, the photographer composing the image does.

3) Your Sigma lens is different to the OPs 10-18 in that it is limited in the filters it can take due to the shape of the front element.

4) Whilst you're correct in saying that the effect from a CPL can't be replicated in post, neither can that of a grad if your sky is completely blown out. It's an often repeated mistake that you can do anything in post!

5) Learning how and when to use filters is a key skill for landscape photography. Anyone can photograph a nice scene but the best images will have some more work put into them.

Last edited:
Fair enough can't argue with link that but the adaptor ring was only a fiver which in the grand scheme of things isn't a massive deal.

No offence taken. I'm only just starting out with filters myself and having looked at all the big hitters, that was within my budget.

Good luck with them, it looks to be a very well made holder. I'm not sure why the nd1000 uses the same rotating function as the CPL though seeing as the nd is a 'solid' filter?

Not sure. Maybe it's done so you can use the cpl whilst using other square filters? Dunno, I'm definitely no expert! (n)

The CPL needs to be in a rotating fitting so it can be adjusted independently of other square filters but I guess the ND1000 is mounted in the same rotating frame because it's simpler for SRB to supply a round ND? Either way, it will give the same effect as a square ND so it's not a problem :0)

They do a square nd 1000 filter as well but I think having the circular one should prevent light leaks??

Thanks again for the input guys. I like the look of the ebay set, just to play around with and experiment with. I can't get out to do much photography anyway especially with small children and work commitments, usually end up with half hour on the way to work on the beach or in a field somewhere.

out of curiosity, what is the consensus on best type of lens for landscape on a cropbody? i was looking into the 10-18mm as this would give me a view similar to 18mm on a full frame...

Is it not possible to achieve the same results in PP nowadays? I've got the same Camera and I'm interested in ND grads but haven't a clue where to begin with them. I have a CPL and also the 10-18mm EFS lens.

You can't replicate the effect an ND Grad has if your highlights are completely blown out though. It's also pretty much impossible to replicate the effect of a CPL.

You can't replicate the effect an ND Grad has if your highlights are completely blown out though. It's also pretty much impossible to replicate the effect of a CPL.

Ok, seems like hassle though? If you go and shoot a sunrise you could end up missing the vital shot by slotting the incorrect filter in and measuring things up etc.?

It takes 10 seconds to slot a filter in? If you've made the effort to find a good location for a sunrise and you're there to see it, taking another 30 seconds to mount a filter holder and slot in a lens isn't really a challenge. I'd rather do that than have a blown out sky with well exposed foreground or a well exposed sky with pitch black foreground :0)

Just as an example, I've just looked at one of the photos you've posted recently;

Fields of Light by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

You've blown out the top right of the sky because the camera's tried to meter generally for the whole scene, including the darker foreground. If you'd fitted an ND2 Grad, you could have retained detail in the sky as well as the foreground.

It takes 10 seconds to slot a filter in? If you've made the effort to find a good location for a sunrise and you're there to see it, taking another 30 seconds to mount a filter holder and slot in a lens isn't really a challenge. I'd rather do that than have a blown out sky with well exposed foreground or a well exposed sky with pitch black foreground :0)

Sounds good! Will have to read up more on this, there seems to be so many different types, soft, hard, different stops etc. it's almost impossible to know what to get.

Just as an example, I've just looked at one of the photos you've posted recently;

Fields of Light by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

You've blown out the top right of the sky because the camera's tried to meter generally for the whole scene, including the darker foreground. If you'd fitted an ND2 Grad, you could have retained detail in the sky as well as the foreground.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I'm definitely interested in ND grads now.

It's definitely worth spending time learning how and when to use filters if you want to get more out of your landscape work. The basic principle is;

ND Filters - Solid tint across the whole filter. Named ND2/ND4/ND8 etc which refers to the strength of the tint, like putting various sunglasses over your lens with different levels of darkness. These are used to either allow you to shoot longer shutter speeds at the same aperture without overexposing the whole scene, or allow you to shoot at the same shutter speed but with wider apertures to get shallow depth of field in bright light (like shooting wide aperture portraits in daylight). These are also used to get milky water/moving clouds etc where you want the same effect across the whole scene.

ND Graduated Filters ('Grads') - Tinted from one end of the filter to the middle (dark at the outside going to lighter in the centre). Also come in different strength like ND2/ND4/ND8. Soft grads have a smoother transition in the middle of the filter for scenes where you'd seen an obvious split in the tint like bright scenes with no defined 'joint' between highlights and shadows. Hard grads have a hard stop in the middle which give the same graduated tint but without the softer transition. These filters are used to underexpose only part of the scene such as the sky in your shot I posted above. If you slot in a grad and then rotate it, you can place the tinted area exactly where you need it to retain detail in highlights. You can also buy Reverse Grads which start darker in the centre and get lighter near the outside edge.

Both types of filter can also be stacked if you want to extend the shutter speed across the whole scene and also retain details in the sky for example. The beauty of Cokin P style holders over screw on is that you have the flexibility to rotate the filters and slide the grads in and out depending on where you want the filter to take effect. Some manufacturers will call them different names (e.g. ND101, ND0.3, ND2 but they're all the same actual strength).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral-density_filter#ND_filter_ratings

Each filter effectively blocks a certain amount of light so an ND2 blocks 1 Stop of light which means that if you've metered a scene at 1/250th F11 and add an ND2 filter you will either have to slow your shutter speed down by 1 Stop (to 1/125th) or open your Aperture by 1 Stop (to F8).

Last edited:
out of curiosity, what is the consensus on best type of lens for landscape on a cropbody? i was looking into the 10-18mm as this would give me a view similar to 18mm on a full frame...
There's no right or wrong lens for landscapes, or anything else.. just the wrong technique (as has been suggested!) Caution over UWA's for them is simply that they are quirky lenses to work with, regardless, and the simplistic notion of more Land must make more landscape doesn't always follow.

Most of the masters rarely used anything much wider than a normal angle lens, and ISTR a lot of Adams more dramatic shots of Yosemite, were actually taken with a mild tele... I may be compounding people, in my aging memory, but, I have the feeling he {or one of the others}, used a "full plate" studio camera in the field, but used a segmented dark slide to get four shots per slide from it, and consequently got a tele-photo effect from the crop factor.

However, point is that it's about the perspective the different lenses offer, rather than the FoV. Tele's bring stuff apparently closer to the camera and foreshorten perspective; wides the effect of pushing it away and stretch perspective., emphasizing the scale between near and far objects.

Wides are a lot more subtle than a tele, which can cut out a lot of clutter, and bring the viewers attention 'straight to the point', and add almost 'instant impact' simplifying the scene, and probably with a lot less depth of field, isolating the subject much more, giving a lot of 'impact', and do it almost incidentally, that's what the lens does, you don't have to work too hard to get it. Risk of using a wider lens for landscapes, is that in shrinking the larger area of scene down to the same frame size, you actually loose the 'BIG SPACE' drama of the scene you originally saw, and most of the impact it had when you were stood there. So you do have to be that much more discerning in composition with one, to find the elements that give the scene interest, in the 'throng' of them, and lead the viewers attention into the big scene and keeps their attention.

Both can deliver fantastic landscapes, if you exploit them well in composition, but ultra-wides, put so much more into the frame to consider in your composition, they give you a lot more work to do to make them work.

In film only era, on 35mm/FF, anything much wider than 28mm, was pretty rare. The odd 24mm or 21mm MF lenses are still rare and expensive for film cameras, now; but debate raged then over the benefit of even a 28 over a 35 for landscapes, and the mags were often offering the advice that many would get better results with the standard 50, and offering suggestion that a mild tele like an 80, was still wide enough, and recommending folk try going the other way and use tele's for landscapes, in order to better find the interest in the scene, and to appreciate perspective rather than the angle... One such article inspiring me to spend a long wet and cold weekend in Wales, trying to take landscapes with a 70-210.... which is another story altogether! But still.

If you were to press me, and say "If you can only have one prime lens, what would you pick?" Answer would unwavering be 35mm for FF { aprox 24mm on crop}. when they stuck them on the front of every fixed lens compact, they knew what they were doing. It's a very versatile lens length, and whilst it's a tad restrictive on wide for big landscapes, it's not a huge impediment. My little XA2 film camera is my most used camera, ever; and has taken far more landscapes on my travels than anything else; and without having to lug a rucksack of kit up a mountain to do it!

28-70 equates reasonably closely to an 18-55, and was my most used zoom; again, very versatile range, for an awful lot of situations, they knew what they were doing when they picked that range as the usual 'kit' zoom; And for landscapes, it covers that whole range, from the suggested 'mild tele', that's so often ignored and seems counter intuitive for Landscapes, but is worth exploring, as well as going as far 'wide' as you are likely to want very often. On which basis, of what is most likely to deliver most results, most often, THAT then has to be my answer.

Another cold, if not so wet long week-end in Wales, engendered this one:
10410933_846149612076624_2696455298147796246_n.jpg

Which is a useful example. It's the ancient copper mines in Llandudno; On that trip, I was working with limited gear; basically just the camera and kit lens; It was a midweek get away during the school summer holiday, and I took my daughter, 2up on my motorbike, with camping kit, so rather limited for luggage space; but 18-55, covering that 'most useful' range, was the best tool for the job. Few ops on the trip begged for anything wider or tighter, and it was only this 'one' situation, I could really have used another lens... but even then, the lack of wasn't such an impediment, I got the 'wide' I wanted, in the restricted space, shooting to stitch, and off the top of my head, this has an effective FoV. close on 180 degrees on the horizontal, I wouldn't have got in one shot even with the 8-16.
Thing to note though, is it isn't a BIG landscape. Its actually a very small one... and this is where wides tend to come into their own, and opening up smaller spaces, rather than condensing bigger ones...
Could debate, the odd bit of stitch distortion in this one, or the rather blown sky and 'stuff', and compare to what might have been achieved in the same situation with a UWA or even a fish, either of which would have had it's own distortions and difficulties with the contrast range etc, but that's essentially academic; point is, that the so often under rated 18-55 does an awful lot, and is 'good' for so much, and few even get all they could from one, you have to be really pushing the envelope before you might be 'better' off with a UWA for landscapes, and getting anything you couldn't or couldn't as well or as easily with the kit.

Risking contention, I will say, again that the 18-55 is probably STILL the 'best' lens for landscapes, on all round area under the curve usefulness and versatility; You can get pretty good results with them, without having to work very hard for them; if you do work for them, you will likely find you can get some stunning results from one, and likely find far more opportunities and circumstances they 'deliver' with whatever amount of 'work' to get it, than you are with a UWA, which will always beg that extra thought and consideration and effort to get results, in the more limited range of situations it 'might' deliver, and likely not deliver an awful lot more than you would get with the kit.

And, as old magazine advice, it IS worth twisting the zoom into the tele end, and taking a closer look at the elements within your landscape, rather than leaving it against the wide end stop, and worrying about whats hiding beyond the edges, and that you cant get it all in one go! Though you may want to pick a time and place with better weather than Wales in March, as I did, twenty years ago!!!

Back