Grading / Colouring with Lightroom 5

KayJay

Give us a Tena
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering if anyone had examples of video footage that has been graded in Lightroom 5. I'm trying to see how viable it is as an entry level video editing tool.

I was wondering if anyone had examples of video footage that has been graded in Lightroom 5. I'm trying to see how viable it is as an entry level video editing tool.

You do a few very basic adjustments in Library module, but to be fair something like iMovie or windows equivalent (or even youtube stuff) will do a lot more. Photoshop gets a lot more powerful at this.

All that Lightroom ( version 5) lets you do is adjust exposure and contrast, with some adjustment to whites and blacks, plus some vibrance adjustment. all from the Library module.

If that's all you want then fine but colour balance and other controls are not available.

If that's all you want then fine but colour balance and other controls are not available.

That's true, so what you do is save a frame from the video, edit it in LR in develop mode to make all the adjustment you need, save all the settings as a new preset then load the video in library mode and apply the saved preset. :)

Here's one recent LR Preset example:

Last edited:
Last edited:
You can grade using Lightroom 5 if you film in RAW using the new magiclatern. You'll need fast cards though and lots of them!!

I use the komputerbay 1000x cards, they work a treat!

If your hardware can handle it, try the free DaVinci Resolve Lite, which is a full video grading system allow keyframing, secondaries, mattes, tracking etc., lots of tutorials on YouTube.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Resolve Lite...for a free program it's great. Took a little while to get my head around but with YouTube tutorials it's a very powerful tool and produces amazing results.

Back