Grand National, will you or won't you?

Well done Joe! I picked the winner two years ago, and a second last year. This year I decided to pick a favourite (Which I never do) and didn't come anywhere!

Yeah I had it at 18-1 so £18 better off but you always end up thinking why didn't i put £50,000 on it!!!!!!

Last edited:
Not only that, we spend fortunes on gear to catch fish that have been caught a thousand times :thinking:

At the end of the day, theres a lot of things I do not agree with.....

Just hope the horse that went down after the first part of the race that got a kick in the head is OK

Peace

if it was dooneys gate or ornais then it died

Matt_SX said:

:agree: I had Dooneys gate in a sweepstake. That was a waste of a quid!

Well I enjoyed my yearly outing to the bookies... Ballabriggs was one of my 4 each ways... £60 profit for the next lens fund.

A win tainted by the loss Dooneys Gate and Ornais though. Very sad to see them like that. RIP and condolences to all those connected.

Two dead horses, was it all worth it?

In my very humble opinion........... nope.

As the horse racing equivalent of the Masters or The Open, it needs to be a difficult and testing course, but not to the point, that the horses lives are in danger from being made to jump fences 8 ft or more high (looking at our 7ft 6 ceiling now and thinking WTF) :thinking::shrug:

I switched off today when one fence was deliberately avoided on lap 2 due to one poor horse, being screened off, after a fatal accident jumping such a thing....

Pointless.

But it will continue purely due to the revenue generated by the bookies, and the greed of Joe Public and Mr Toff. :thumbsdown:

On a purely photographic note....

The Action Images shot of Dooneys Gate's fall is fantastic - the downside is that it's already been nicked as I saw it on someone's FB page!

I went to the grand national yesterday, had an absolutely amazing time, the atmosphere is something else and the betting is fun (we spent £50 and won £10 - how crap are we!). and im amazed at how well organised it was, we didnt have to queue anywhere apart from northern rail on the way home (aintree to ormskirk = 4x 6 carriage trains every hour full of people heading north..... northern rail send 1 x 2 carriage train every hour for the ormskirk-preston route morons!).

I didnt like the ominous sign of a grey canvas sheet on the far side of one of the fences with all the horses streaming round the other side, but i guess thats the sad side of the sport,

my main gripe is that with the atmosphere and the fun we could have actually been watching, betting and cheering at two sticks floating down a river, imho the atmosphere doesnt actually match the excitement of what we were watching.

however i would definetly go again.

Yes - some good images of the horses in the process of becoming obstacles in the Daily Mail here

Winning jockey was banned too for excess use of the whip.

It's strange. There was almost universal condemnation of the ill treatment of the elephant that was mentioned in a thread on here and elsewhere but get a bit of money involved and anything goes. Still, as long as it was a nice day out for people.

Back