Grand National, will you or won't you?

I'm sure horses have dropped dead but I don't think that's that common? More break legs etc and are put to sleep which is sad.
Wasn't it Mill Reef who broke a leg and they made him better? He was only the second horse to ever recover from such an injury and the cost was huge but his owner loved him. There's a statue at the national stud saying about it. I beat Mill Reef wasn't whipped or mistreated. Most owners love their horses. And not all race horses are miserable. My friend does point to point. Her horse lives in a nice field by her house with a donkey and another horse and goes for rides in the woods and is very happy. Better than being abandoned in a field.
Go golden kite tomorrow!!! :)

We are currently nursing one back to helath, she actually slipped her ligament of off her hock, and that was on the flat :shrug: she has undergone an operation and is in a plaster cast for the next 6 weeks. Recently nursed another one back to health after cracking a bone in hind leg (not badly) that is now in a hacking home but on the other hand we had one put down 2 weeks ago that had cracked a bone in its foot, that was out in the field so not alays racing.

As Hepburn said, "You won't please all the people all the time"

Well that's very sad then. Lets hope that doesn't happen today.
Nicky, that's a happier ending :) It must be very hard to get a large animal to take it easy on a broken foot! It just shows they don't all just get sent to a knackers yard.

What is it with this place? People make a genuine thread for discussion and others have to trash the thread just to be contrary. It's like someone poses a Mac software question only to have a pc nut give zillions of reasons why he'd never use a Mac. We don't give a stuff about your particular viewpoint. If you can't contribute to a thread in the manner in which the OP intended then naff off. Either start your own hate-filled thread or bugger off to another forum.

Sorry, Tori. To answer your most excellent question ;) I used to bet on the horses almost every day - many years ago but mainly the flat. Nowadays I restrict my race betting to a couple 'fun' events a year - plus topping up my holiday fund backing 'Denman' at Cheltenham :D. I've had a look at this year's National and, instead of narrowing it down to 5 to 8 to concentrate on, I could make a good case for most of them :bang: But as I've done very well this last week with my main betting interest these days, Tennis, I've picked a couple longshots for a fun bet to maintain an interest this afternoon. Long each way jobbies - Comply or Die and Grand Slam Hero.

I've got £5 to win on Ballabriggs (tip off) and Big Fella Thanks.

then got £2.50 each way on Quinz and Arbor Supreme

Her horse lives in a nice field by her house with a donkey

"It's often said that photography sits, rather like a mule, between the horse of the commercial world and the donkey of the art world." -- Roy Mallard, in People Like Us: The Photographer. :D

Oh I forgot to add:

I don't really bet on the National as it's too much of a lottery, but I've picked up the T-D combination in the company sweepstakes which I'm not unhappy about! :D

Funnily enough Ballabriggs was a tip of for me also (y)

Knowing my luck it will fall at the first! :D

Last year I got tipped for Black Apalache but to back it E/W. I ended up putting a tenner on to win and what happened - it finished second! aaargh

My moneys on Silver By nature..only £4, might treat myself to a few goodies if it comes in :) Paul

2blue for you...thanks :)

Photon..my photography sometimes is a bit 'mule like' :LOL:

Nicky, I'm not sure ballabriggs has the staying power for the final sprint to the finish, but it's anyones race really :)

Stupar, Black Apalache was my horse last year. I had money on it to win too, and it led for ages and ran out of steam :(
B A has a tendon problem which is a real shame as I'd have backed them again this year without hesitation.

Silver by nature looks a good bet. Lady trainer...but...it's a grey lol.

If my horse comes in, I'll have enough to by a new 7D :LOL:

hmmm looks like at least one has been put down this year so far - all the screens round past one fence whilst on the 2nd lap.

2 - 1 destroyed 1 with screens :(

Scrappy race on the first circuit but better racing on the second.

Last edited:
Both of my horses were taken out by others :( I hope all the other horses are ok.

Well done Nicky! Did you back it? :)

2 - 1 destroyed 1 with screens :(

Scrappy race on the first circuit but better racing on the second.

I agree, (y) too bunched up on the first circuit, no room for error :shake: but great jumping and racing on the 2nd circuit.

Oh well hope ours runs well tomorrow.

£1900, thatd be nice... unfortunately i dont do betting on animals properly, theyre too unpredictable for my liking :D

I've grown up surrounded by horses and have enough knowledge and experience to know what's fair and unfair treatment of an animal. If you regard that as simplistic then fine; if it takes direct involvement in the 'sport' to progress from anything beyond a simplistic understanding then I'm proud to say my knowledge is simplistic.

to be honest ive seen more mistreatment at show jumping events. overuse of whips and spurs. also ive seen riders hit the horse in the head to stop it rearing etc.

Here here, :clap:

just a little pointer though the "whips" that they use are covered with very very thick felt and a jockey is only allowed to "whip" (as you want to call it) 3 times then that is it.

As a person who is involved in the training of point to pointer I am not even going to start an arguement.

Think what you will. :shrug:

So the winner of the GN today should be banned as he smacked that horse more than a dozen times!!!!

I think alot of the time it looks like the horse is being whipped but it's just being 'shown' the whip in the corner of it's eye. If it's overuse, they don;t let jockeys just get away with it, so it must have been within the rules.

I didn't know that either. I go racing quite a bit, but I'm not really that up on the rules. This is the first year I've not won anything though!

Unfortunately very hot for them today. :thumbsdown:

Flaming weather, can never get it right :LOL:

Oh Matt, if you don't like the race, please don't comment! it's not our fault persoanlly that the race is run is it? It's sport, and people/animals get hurt. My friends horse was killed running around it's padock after it got spooked. Bad things happen, it's sad, but the race will keep happening. As will the TT races where there are people killed every year.

Yes, it certainly need those buckets of water! I'd have needed defib if I'd run that far....

Don't forget they have made the fences safer with the take off's and landings.

Shame Dooney's gate broke it's back and Ornais broke its neck. :shake:

But could happen anytime, anywhere Eventing, Racing etc

I feel for the Mullin's family as Willie Mullins trained it, owned by his wife and ridden by the son. :crying:

Oh Matt, if you don't like the race, please don't comment! it's not our fault persoanlly that the race is run is it? It's sport, and people/animals get hurt. My friends horse was killed running around it's padock after it got spooked. Bad things happen, it's sad, but the race will keep happening. As will the TT races where there are people killed every year.

Yes, it certainly need those buckets of water! I'd have needed defib if I'd run that far....

I betted on the race, but come on, it aint right ;)

Indeed, maybe my next post will be of fluffy kittens, green fields and chocolate. Surely the pc brigade can't find me there :LOL:

Yep, I hate the damage caused buy anglers but still go fishing

Er, how is that the same thing? Fishing is cruel anyway. That poor maggot, and those poor fishies having their faces near enough pulled off :nono:

Yup. It turns their brains to mush.

Not only that, we spend fortunes on gear to catch fish that have been caught a thousand times :thinking:

At the end of the day, theres a lot of things I do not agree with.....

Just hope the horse that went down after the first part of the race that got a kick in the head is OK

Peace

well for the 3rd time in 4 years i picked the winner, next year i really must put more than £1 on it

Back