Graphics tablet - how easy is it to get used to?

S

stupar

How do all,

My wife bought me a graphics tablet (Wacom Intuos Pen) for my birthday, probably after hearing me curse at the mouse sooooo many times.
How easy is it to adapt to a tablet for editing? I'm guessing with continual use it will soon become fairly easy, just looking for others experiences.

You will get used to it very quick, everyone writes most days with a pen so the action comes naturally and I also find it easier for editing as I have more control as I would with a mouse.

I couldn't get on with them at all... I'm left handed, but use the mouse in my right hand. I struggle to control the mouse/pointer with my left hand having done it with my right for so long, and it doesn't feel natural to hold the pen in my right. I've got one, but I just can't use it, dammit.

Just got myself a Huion and so far like it but found this on PHlearn youtube channel.

And it makes sense the setup he has applied as I like mouse movements to be minimal and at first try with tablet my hand was all over the place... also apparently it takes time to adjust so just be patient. The key thing is the sensitivity which you can't replicate with a mouse.

I like it, at first I thought I would never get used to it, the oh learn video above is ideal, it shows you how to set up, I used this info when I first got mine.
Practice makes perfect;)

I've heard people say if you get a graphics tablet put the mouse in a draw and use the tablet for everything to make the transition easier. Never tried one myself though.

Nah... some things are best done with a mouse and you're not trying to use the computer by using nothing but a tablet. I found the best way to get used to it was to just draw for a while, as essentially that's what you'll be doing with it. I remember it taking perhaps 10 minutes to get used to it.

I couldn't get on with them at all... I'm left handed, but use the mouse in my right hand. I struggle to control the mouse/pointer with my left hand having done it with my right for so long, and it doesn't feel natural to hold the pen in my right. I've got one, but I just can't use it, dammit.

I'm in exactly the same position as you LH, but use the mouse with the RH. Took me about a week of editing use to completely get used to it and exceed the quality I was getting with the mouse. After that I'm still completely comfortable using the Wacom pen in the LH, and when I need to use the mouse with the RH.

I'm in exactly the same position as you LH, but use the mouse with the RH. Took me about a week of editing use to completely get used to it and exceed the quality I was getting with the mouse. After that I'm still completely comfortable using the Wacom pen in the LH, and when I need to use the mouse with the RH.

You've given me food for thought... perhaps I need to persevere a bit longer. Thanks Mike.

Thanks for all your input.

I'm like a couple of you where I am naturally left handed but I am mouse proficient with my right.
I had a couple of shots yesterday and at first I was a bit all over the place but slowly I started to slow it down to a pace that was good and controllable and the sensitivity that a mouse can't replicate.

All good progress.

Nah... some things are best done with a mouse and you're not trying to use the computer by using nothing but a tablet. I found the best way to get used to it was to just draw for a while, as essentially that's what you'll be doing with it. I remember it taking perhaps 10 minutes to get used to it.
Just passing on advice from some Pro Photoshop users/educators. :)

If you are going to spend, in some cases, not a small amount of money on a tablet, you give yourself the best chance of making it work for yourself.

I use only a tablet for all mouse operations. It fulfils cursor, click, double-click and right-click functions. For use the pen is held lightly between thumb and first and second fingers, and I easily move my thumb onto the pen buttons to operate them. If I want to type a bit (shortcut keys or a few words) without putting the pen down, I swing it aside between first and second fingers so that it's held somewhat like a cigarette (yes it compromises finger movement - you'd put it down for prolonged typing). It's all fairly seamless. I've hardly used a mouse for years.

Well.. that'd be me then.. LOL

Not you in particular, ;) I know you are an educator but I thought it was only Photography, though I know Photoshop (and Lightroom) should not be far away when learning about Photography now. No, more Ben Willmore, Dave Cross and Jared Platt.

As an aside, Jared Platt also uses a Shuttle Pro 2 as well as a Graphics Tablet to speed up access to short cuts and presets. There's a link there for anyone who is interested in seeing how he uses it. He is all about streamlining his workflow, (mainly Lightroom) and in my opinion one of the best in doing it from what I have seen.

Just shows how accurate the information/impression you can get about a person from threads on internet forums. :D :LOL:

I wasn't aware that I had written anything in these forums that would give any other impression. Can you link to an example?

Do you draw with your left hand Bethy? If you do then certain intros models like the Intuos4 I own allows you to switch the side the USB connection goes, essentially allowing you to flip the tablet to use it left handed. If you're anywhere near me then you're welcome to try it to see it's any easier for you (North West not far from Liverpool or Chester)

I use a cintiq now after using tablets for years (I'm an illustrator) and could never go back - just persevere, I find that editing with a mouse is like drawing with a bar of soap! :p

About two minutes to get used to for PS stuff. I only use it for 'painting' task though. Cloning, healing, masking, etc in Photoshop. Mouse is still far more efficient and easier to use for general computing though - so I never use the tablet in Lightroom (or anywhere outside of PS). Absolute accuracy for single clicks (finely positioning a point on the screen for whatever reason) I find much easier with a mouse, as with the tablet you can get a bit of movement as you apply pressure.

I used to have a Wacom, found I used it for about 5% of my processing so binned it (not literally) in favour of a high sensitivity mouse. not really looked back.

Processing and retouching are not the same thing though. You don't need a tablet at all if all you do is "processing". Detailed retouching, masking, clipping path or composite work is an absolute nightmare with a mouse though. It feels like trying to make a sandwich with boxing gloves on.

Is it the same when using the tablet with your left hand? Someone else mentioned certain tablets can be used either way around. If you write with your left hand, you should be using the graphics tablet's pen with your left hand. It's just a pen, and is used like an ordinary pen. It stands to reason you will not be able to use it with your right hand. I'd not be able to use it with my left either.

Last edited:
I am left handed so I have set up my Wacom tablet for left handed use.

What I have found is that as a lefty when I write I always have the paper/book at a -45 degree angle. I have since replicated that with the tablet and everything is much better now. I have also set the working area to be smaller than the tablet itself so I don't have to make large movements. I still have a long way to go with general practice etc but i am getting there.

What is processing if it doesn't involve some retouching?
Processing could involve a change to White Balance, Exposure adjustment, Contrast, Cropping etc. Basically global changes to the image which is what most people do. For that you don't really need a Graphics Tablet, because you are mainly moving sliders.

As Pookeyhead said,
Detailed retouching, masking, clipping path or composite work
may benefit from the increased precision of a Graphics Tablet. If you can get on with it of course. ;)

I mix the use. A tablet is invaluable for painting, think dodge, burn etc and for masking, but a mouse is better for other things. However I like a large tablet as I find it easier to use than the small ones.

Have to agree with most of the above, I find the tablet invaluable for working of photos, wouldn't go back to a mouse now,
but for general computer use and surfing the web I do prefer the mouse (y)

Have to agree with most of the above, I find the tablet invaluable for working of photos, wouldn't go back to a mouse now,
but for general computer use and surfing the web I do prefer the mouse (y)

Yep. It's not a replacement for a mouse. Using it for everyday tasks wouldn't be practical in most cases.

I'm about to buy the Wacom Intuos Small. But I'm wondering of it is worth paying extra for the "touch" version? Does anyone have experience with the touch version? Is it useful? Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a Intuos 5 Medium touch - the big advantage for me is that I only need it and a keyboard since the touch functionality replaces my trackpad.

It's not just about the sensitivity of drawing a selection, path, etc - if you need to move the cursor across the display to click on a certain pixel, a tablet pen is faster and more accurate than a mouse.

Also by choosing your tablet size, but maybe more significantly the ratio by which the tablet maps to your display, you can adjust the 'gearing' of your hand-movements.

My mouse has been in the drawer for years.

It arrived and I've been getting used to the touch version. So far, the touch is useful but not essential. We'll see how it goes.
if you need to move the cursor across the display to click on a certain pixel, a tablet pen is faster and more accurate than a mouse.
Yes. Tablets having absolute coordinates means that once you are used to the extents, going directly to a location is better. One disadvantage compared to a mouse is that the mouse is on the table, and can be nudged very slightly before clicking. A tablet pen tip is floating off the surface until you click. The click may land slightly offset as it drifts.
They both have their different use cases.

Back