Grasmere Locations

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, heading to stay in Grasmere for a couple of days with the Mrs at short notice (this week) I'll more than likely get up for sunrise a couple of mornings, a quick scout around makes me thing Pooley Bridge boat house and Rydal water might be a good choice, but I would be happy to hear any recommendations for regulars up that way, will also probably have a wander around during the day, nothing to strenuous though as it will be mostly about relaxing after the Christmas shenanigans - thanks in advance for any suggestions

Loughrigg Fell has a nice view if you fancy an early morning elevated view. Doesn't take too long and the view is worth it.

loughrigg-tarn-from-loughrigg-fell-picture-id517592849

Southern end of the lake near the outflow. Good for reflections of the hills above Dunmail. Good fence for a lead in line.
Early morning is best.

@R0bb0 The view I posted above.

Park in one of the spaces by Grasmere lake and then walk up. If you get there early enough it shouldn't be a problem but be forewarned they can fill up quite quickly.

When it comes to going up the fell it's not very taxing but you do wonder if you'll actually see something. Don't worry. You will. It's kind of a "are we there yet" one ;)

@R0bb0 The view I posted above.

Park in one of the spaces by Grasmere lake and then walk up. If you get there early enough it shouldn't be a problem but be forewarned they can fill up quite quickly.

When it comes to going up the fell it's not very taxing but you do wonder if you'll actually see something. Don't worry. You will. It's kind of a "are we there yet" one ;)

Much appreciated

Loughrigg terrace is an easy walk with a nice view over the lake.

I took this one at Rydal Water last week, it was a dank misty morning but I still enjoyed myself (and had the lake to myself :))

Edit, meant to add, just get out there with your camera you''ll always get something

copy.jpg

Last edited:
If it's a really dull day and you want a slightly different experience of the Lake District then try Cathedral Quarry/ Cathedral cave. It's in Little Langdale which isn't too far away at all.

Parking the car to visit isn't the easiest. There is a pub but if memory serves they are a little sniffy about you parking. There are a couple of places by the side of the road not to far up from the road.

If you like singing or just want to horse around just belt out a song or two and listen to the awesome acoustics in there. At the entrance there is a warning sign about entering but don't worry. It's a short tunnel before you get to the big chamber.

rock-formation-in-cathedral-quarry-in-the-little-langdale-area-of-HDY2PC.jpg

There is a "cave" - old slate quarry - which is easily accessible from the path on the south side of Rydal, just follow the path round the lake and you can't miss it.

There is a "cave" - old slate quarry - which is easily accessible from the path on the south side of Rydal, just follow the path round the lake and you can't miss it.

That one is just a light uphill wander! Can't be that difficult as I walked it three weeks after a total hip replacement ! So no whinging it's too far! I still had a dressing on the incision

Back