Grasstrack Racing

Name
Sue
Edit My Images
Yes
I have managed to get a photo pass for a local Grasstrack meet on Sunday, not a sport I know much about at all. The only motorsport I have covered before is hill-climbs. Does anyone have any tips or advice? In particular, what sort of shutter speed to get a bit of motion on the tyres but still freeze the action. I was guessing around 1/500th? Perhaps a bit slower?

All advice gratefully received.

Don't stand on the outside of a corner.
Slower shutter speed will be great with the huge plumes of mud & rocks that they fling up but you will also want a faster speed dialled in for when they tangle - the flips can be quite dramatic.

Just as an update, I had a thoroughly enjoyable day, the photos went down very well, I have have had lots of sales and on the back of it have been asked to be the official photographer for Ledbury Motorcycle Club with exclusive access to the centre of the track. Not bad for a speculative email asking for a photo pass to a sport I hadn’t even heard of! Many thanks for your help, @Hefferzzzz, it was much appreciated.

Ah, okay. That looks frictionful.

Mind you, the grass doesn't need much trimming after a few laps have been completed!

Mind you, the grass doesn't need much trimming after a few laps have been completed!

Very true, although, I have to say, I was most impressed at how well the ground stood up to the racing. It has now been harrowed, and I reckon that in a couple of months you will hardly be able to tell where the course was. I was fascinated to learn that the races are traditionally held between haymaking and harvest, which would obviously minimise the damage to pasture.

Problems can arise if the track is used a lot without harrowing/ploughing. The earth can get so compacted that it's too hard to break up the clods. Doesn't usually take too long to get it back - a few good soakings and freezings will usually restore it. Fuel and oil spills can cause problems too.

Back