Great Bargain Lenses for Nikon Users

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have had a d300 for a while and only recently started picking up older lenses some manual focus some AF.

I picked up for £80 - 135mm f2.8 AIS - which is amazing value for money - great portrait lens

I picked up a Sigma 24mm f2.8 AF Macro for £69 which is sharp as hell in the middle and then begins to fall off in the corners buts great as a walkaround lens fro street photoraphy etc

Any other reccommendations for amazing bargains?

Yeah sell them to me for a £5 each....now thats an amazing bargain, but I dont think you meant that did you....:LOL:

Its a shame there are no bankrupt stock or repossed stock sales like you get for computer and office stuff.

I know Kipax uses his 135 f2.8 for indoor basketball, he swears by it and recommends it as a really good lens.

I know Kipax uses his 135 f2.8 for indoor basketball, he swears by it and recommends it as a really good lens.

He Manual Focuses for sports? insane! Trying to manual focus for someone standing still is something I yet to have fully mastered. Furthermore, the green dot "focus indicator" on my d300 is shizer.

Furthermore, the green dot "focus indicator" on my d300 is shizer.

Nikon doesn't seem to make a special effort to caliberate "green dot" confirmation for manual lenses.

You can use the "AF Fine Tune" option even for MF lenses to sort this.

Agree about the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 - cracking little lens :)

Its a shame there are no bankrupt stock or repossed stock sales like you get for computer and office stuff.

There is if you know where to look!

Nikon doesn't seem to make a special effort to caliberate "green dot" confirmation for manual lenses.

You can use the "AF Fine Tune" option even for MF lenses to sort this.

Agree about the Sigma 24mm f/2.8 - cracking little lens :)

Please explain fella... Any extra hints would be great. I have a Nikon d300.

I have been just off with quite a few shots (the 135mm f2.8) - like the one below.. where even though I love them - I know if I had locked on properly they would have been twice as good.

D30_8390-298x450.png

Slightly misleading Martin. The one that he uses is hardly an 80 quid MF version! ;) :LOL:

Hey, it's quite possible to shoot sports with MF lenses! How do you think people took photos in the past? A bit of pre-focusing never hurt anyone ;)

By the way, there are some superb Nikkor MF lenses around...try the 180/2.8 or 105/2.5. I have the 20/4 AiS and the 24/2.8 AI and they are both super sharp. The older 135/3.5 can often be found cheaply (don't use with the semi pro cameras that meter though!), and this lens is based on the sonnar design, so has some real pop :)

Forgot to say, I have a Nikkor 55/1.2 which I picked up for £100.00 too, very useful on my 5D :)

Last edited:
By the way, there are some superb Nikkor MF lenses around...try the 180/2.8 or 105/2.5. I have the 20/4 AiS and the 24/2.8 AI and they are both super sharp. The older 135/3.5 can often be found cheaply (don't use with the semi pro cameras that meter though!), and this lens is based on the sonnar design, so has some real pop :)

Forgot to say, I have a Nikkor 55/1.2 which I picked up for £100.00 too, very useful on my 5D :)

Thanks! will look into those.. 180mm f2.8 sounds like a nice lens to slot into my current kit.

You use a nikkor 55mm f1.2 on a 5D? I'm lost....

Thanks! will look into those.. 180mm f2.8 sounds like a nice lens to slot into my current kit.

You use a nikkor 55mm f1.2 on a 5D? I'm lost....

Yes, all manual focus Nikon lenses can be used on Canon DSLRs. Obviously you need an adapter, but they're under £10.00 :)

Pre-AI lenses are not recommended for D200, D300, D700, D3, D3x/s etx. as they can damage the metering prong. Fine for the D40/D60/D3000/D5000 line though, and I think also the D7000 and D90, although metering is manual only.

Ai and Ai-s lenses will meter on the better models as listed above.

Back