Great Crested Grebe

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Do they tend to stay in one place?
I want to get a collection of pictures of Great Crested Grebes and have found a couple of lakes / river weir pools with a pair ( i.e 2 ) on them. I know they are territorial so I am guessing that once a 'pair' has found a suitable home they will stay there. True ???

The reason I am using the word 'pair' carefully is that I think at least one place has two juvenile birds on it, probably hatched this year, so may not qualify as a 'pair'

Anyone familiar with these birds ?

Provided there is sufficient food for them and they are resident birds (i.e. not seasonal visitors) they should stay and possibly breed and raise young.
I have followed two locations where this is the case and it is lovely to see them with the youngsters...

Faster dad, faster!
by Roger, on Flickr

If there are youngsters, they may be chased off by the parents, or they may be youngsters that have found a new location after having been chased off.

Last edited:
If there are youngsters, they may be chased off by the parents, or they may be youngsters that have found a new location after having been chased off.

Thanks for that Gramps. Nice picture.
Judging by the face and neck I think these two are still young. If it happened that the adults chased them off from somewhere else then these may not stay as a pair. i.e they could be brothers ? ..... or would the male's territorial nature have taken charge already ?

Thanks for that Gramps. Nice picture.
Judging by the face and neck I think these two are still young. If it happened that the adults chased them off from somewhere else then these may not stay as a pair. i.e they could be brothers ? ..... or would the male's territorial nature have taken charge already ?
I'm not really experienced enough in the species to know the right answer Graham, I suspect that if they are siblings they might well fall out unless there is sufficient space for them to retreat into when needed. I have only noticed aggression at breeding time and between pairs but youngsters, like all species, can be rivals, especially where access to food is concerned. Of course if they are brothers and a female comes along then there will be friction!

It is surprising how little there is written about wildlife behaviour. Where is Dr Dolittle when you need him ? :)

It is surprising how little there is written about wildlife behaviour. Where is Dr Dolittle when you need him ? :)

watching and learning;) but no not writing:) G when one tries to find behaviours to help with the craft ,it's really hard won huh !!!!!!
He's here @den

or he could be here @Stuart Philpott :D
Wez,lmao, I have a few mates that call me dr stulittle i call them something bac:rolleyes: i best not say here,but bloody big smiles all around it is funny:D .

Graham i do talk to aminals they do talk back,but I can't help with your grebes:(,have a chat with mike pool (pooley) he's part fish he'll put ya straight,

I believe sedentary once a breeding pool is selected(probably qualified by food source there for the whole year,I don't think they move much other wise,woud gladly be corrected ,but I know little.

I can find them Gray but not at places where I can get close to have a chance of images. I'd love to spend a lot of time with this species

Graham do have a dig for some of Mike's images here of GCG's,he's a lovely and talented guys whom I think the world of,but lay that aside..................... do have a dig,I find them deeply inspiring some belters they'll make you hungry:)

take care all the luck do share your results

stu

Back