Great honour...but nervous...and excited.

Name
Maddy Rogers
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, l've been asked to attend and photograph a c-section. :D

I's a great honour to be asked to cover such a special moment, and l'm feeling more nervous than with any wedding!

Has anyone here done this?

Any pointers?

I've attended two - the birth of my kids. I'm amazed they let you photograph it - I had to wear all the gear - gown, hat, overshoes etc.

I also wonder why anyone would want that recorded - it takes all sorts I suppose :thinking:

how are you with sharp objects? blood? etc?

I've never taken photo's of a c-section but been involved with a few.....
It literally takes a few mins to do the whole procedure so you'll have to be quick

PS. apparently you can see a good reflection of the baby popping out in the lights

Don't feint.
Keep out of the way.
Don't drop anything small!

Don't feint.
Keep out of the way.
Don't drop anything small!

Haha! I'll take special note of the last one! (y)

Well the parents are still to obtain permission from the hospital, but if you browse Flickr you'll see it's done a fair bit.

Fingers crossed they say yes!

l'm not squeamish at all...so should manage to stay upright.

Not really the type of thing to post on an open board like this. There are limits and this is one of them. If you must show them then I would suggest finding a forum board that deals with medical information and photos.

Realspeed

Last edited:
Miracle of life guys, don't be squeamish :D

one of them get it right first time shoots :)

Oh and my tip... Dont shout "Smile" to mum or you might be sorry :)

Last edited:
Have witnessed an emergancy section and was taken aback just how graphic/batlefieldesque it actually was. I think a selective camera angle would be called for.

My daughter was born with an emergency CS. The senior nurse was horrible to me. She said to hold my wife's hand and keep still. DO NOT MOVE! I inched up the stall/chair I was sitting on just to be more comfortable and was told off for moving, even an inch! She also told me if I feint or cried I would be ignored . I was sat where I couldn't see any gory stuff, but could comfort my wife through her ordeal, but the surgeons both wore glasses and I could see reflections. After Daisy was born the horrible senior nurse handed my daughter to me (not the wife) and said "there you go Mr Paul. You have a beautiful Daughter. I hear you run a pub, just a fortnight ago we had a famous actor who is also a local Publican and he had a daughter too!"

Weirdest experience for me!

The actor btw was Melvyn Hayes from It's Not Half Hot Mum, who at the time ran The Brantham Bull pub, a few miles out of Ipswich

Last edited:
I did one nearly 3yrs ago, great experience. Just talk to the midwife for do's and dont's etc.
HollieBirthday.jpg

That one's bloody HUGE!!!! :eek:

I'm not surprised it was a Caesarean!

Wow....well that is why my lady has to have one!

8lb baby they reckon, and she is just 5ft tall!!

For those of you who didn't think l should post such a thing on here, l hadn't actually intended to show open wounds, or scalpels at work you know.

More the miracle of life, the emotion, the moment when mum and dad get to meet their baby....their faces....you know?

lf people can't see all that amazing stuff past a bit of blood...shame.....but that is what l shall be after if l can.

So if it goes ahead l shouldn't bother posting any shots then? ;)

don't see why not assuming its actually your child lol

here is my second son roughly 1 mins old

1501.jpg

not going to look hugly different to that - at least with a C-section you can actually post pictures of the baby being born unlike the ones I have of Samual lol

I'm soooo gutted...but not....if you know what l mean.

Baby arrived early and naturally today!! Happy for them....and will be doing the newborn shoot next week.....but so disappointed l wasn't able to photograph it for them. :(

I'm sure the dad got pics of his own

Baby arrived early and naturally today!! Happy for them....and will be doing the newborn shoot next week.....but so disappointed l wasn't able to photograph it for them. :(

Both of my boys were emergency c-sections so I didn't even get a chance to be in the room. Both times were very scary and I was in pieces trying to listen for the first cry. Thankfully they are both fit and well.

Good luck with the newborn shoot, I just love doing them.

I've attended two - the birth of my kids. I'm amazed they let you photograph it - I had to wear all the gear - gown, hat, overshoes etc.

I also wonder why anyone would want that recorded - it takes all sorts I suppose :thinking:

Just what I was thinking.... Weird :shrug:

Wow....well that is why my lady has to have one!

8lb baby they reckon, and she is just 5ft tall!!

Exactly the reason i had one - personally i wouldnt want reminding of my horrid experience in Northampton Hospital, by that stage i just wanted him out

I can see why you may be excited i suppose, although its not something i would do.

Witnessed my daughter being born by CS getting on for 20 years ago

Was a very surreal experience, saturday lunchtime and the staff were discussing where to go out that evening, just a job to them like any other and chatting away like office workers.
Radio playing too, even remember the record playing when my kid emerged in a right mucky state was something called "I touch myself" by the Divinyls

Missus had an epidural, so all in all quite a relaxed time and the staff were really nice and super efficient, wouldn't have wanted pictures though

My experience was I was sat facing the business end while my missus was hidden away behind a sheet. They had problems getting my boy out after ripping my missus belly open this is to make it easier for the wound to heal they told me :eek:

Then they were tugging on a leg rather aggressively and I started feeling a little dizzy at this point. They took me outside for a breath of fresh air (giggling, nurses not me :) and I recovered and asked to go back in to see my missus in a position that she would not EVER approve of photos being taken. I distinctly remember two porter types standing to one side with a bin bag waiting for scraps, only thing missing was a roll up in his gob. Photographs!!! I left my camera in the ward :LOL:

Best of luck

Oh and my tip... Dont shout "Smile" to mum or you might be sorry :)

Chances are she'll be high as a kite anyway!!!

not really - C-sections are not a good way for the birth to occur. Samual was over 10lb, lynne had no pain relief and was no problem :|

I agree - both my boys were C-Sections. Now whenever I park the car, they climb out of the sunroof :D

whats the size the the room? the one thing you have to remember is your camera is not sterile! So I would work at the longest focal lenght the is possable as the give the medics room to do what they need to do and to keep you and your drity camera well away from the open wound.

Hope you get some great images and that all goes well for the new family!

Stuart

I know the magical event came early, but my daughter who has just completed a 1 month stint in the maternity theatres of a local hospital tells me that as long as you stay out of the way and don't capture any of the staffs faces, then you should be fine. Obviously I can't talk for other hospitals, as each have there own rules of engagement, but thought it was worth sharing anyway :)

I know it was 21 years ago but the wife would not let me in for her C asection and she would have killed me if I had mentioned a camera,cant really see what the attraction is with photographing the actual birth but good luck anyhow

Back