Greedy car Insurers

Edit My Images
Yes
Just got my quote for renewal in and I think they are taking the right royal p...

It's up over £200 from last year !!

Clean driving licence since 1968 , never any points on it , 2 accidents - only 1 was a driver [ me ] fault .

Car is a Freelander diesel Auto with sidesteps bought at 1yr old in Dec 2015 - garaged overnight , has an immobiliser fitted .

Have got [ thanks to help from a good mate ] much better quotes from Admiral, Elephant. Diamond and ESure. All are for exactly the same exclusions / conditions etc as my present Insurers.

Anyone know anything adverse about these companies ?

I'd like to get this tied up this week so I'm not in a rush at the renewal date

Thanks for any help

I think most of the companies you mention are reputable. Just don't go with Go Skippy if you get a quote from them on a comparison site...

Insurance has gone up generally but always good to shop around, also don't forget cash back sites.

That's very true re Cashback - had forgotten about that

That's very true re Cashback - had forgotten about that
Most of them do it when it comes to renewal, looking to get as much as they can from current customers. You should compare and choose the lowest, I do every year. If you really feel loyalty to your current insurer you could try and get them to match the cheapest quote you get, but I don't bother. If they want to play me for a mug, then I'll take my business elsewhere.

I have to admit - that actual service from them has been good when it's been needed. My first accident was not blameworthy and they got fed up with the other side and bluntly told them they would see them in court :) That was in 2008 so a long time ago ;)

BUT what they want to extract from me is just not on this time - I've quotes for very nearly 50% of what they are wanting

Been using esure for last 3-4 years now. Always found them to be best price, and if it wasn't I usually phoned them up and they matched the price.

Been using M and S for the last few years, renewal went down a tenner last year and only a fiver dearer this year.
Breakdown cover is full RAC membership, not one of those nearest garage will send a tow truck when they get a chance.

Have used Tesco for my Freelander

Admiral for my discovery 3. Was with Hastings and they wanted £200 more at renewal and wouldn’t budge on price when I rang them. I change pretty much every year, I think only last year and the year before was Hastings as they gave the best price.

Hmm - thanks guys :)

I do have lifetime personal RAC and my Main Dealer is very very helpful when I've had a problem [ had a really weird one last year when I lost all my indicators and hazard flasher on a nasty wet horrible day and I had to drive with my window down actually doing hand signals !! Dealers sent a flat bed recovery for the poor beast - and we never found out why it happened !! ]

You have actually borne out what I'd been thinking.

During the week I'll be phoning my present folk to see if they are willing to match or near match the quotes I have got today - after that ......

The decision will be made later this week

Just stick the hell away from MoreThan I've just spent a month being told if I don't supply this bit of paperwork or that or something else they would cancel my other halves insurance although I paid in full up front.
They wanted proof of our no claims discount, bank statements to prove our address even though we are totally paperless. Copies of our driving licences plus access to DVLC records which you have to give them. It's gone on and on and then they tell me that as the policy is in my name I need to be the main driver even though I bought it on line and made her the main driver.

Morethan are a F****** joke and if they kick off again I'm going to cancel and go to the Insurance ombudsman with it.

My car is Insured with Esure who got it right 1st time, contacted the insurance bureau and told me all was in order. God help me if I need to claim with Morethan it will be like pulling teeth.

WOW !! Thanks for that warning - they do not sound nice to deal with

You just have to get fresh quotes if they increase your fee. It's par for the course I got mine 20% cheaper than the increases renewal.

Just beware of a scam some insurance companies are using "we may require written proof of your no claims discount". They have it all on a national database so know anyway, but they then try and charge you extra if you cannot find proof AFTER taking out the insurance. So make sure you have written proof to their exacting standards that they lay down.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/car-insurance/

never understand why why folk complain about insurance renewals
don't you just do the co comapare?

I'm sure they all make this up as they go along TBH..

they were using LV.
I was with these for awhile, then they tried to increase it by 50% I told them what price the Meerkat was doing it for, ( less than their previous years price) they still wouldn't budge..
Good bye LV Hello Hastings.

Have used Tesco for my Freelander
Another from a few years ago, very competitive until they decided to double my insurance ( still the same car no incidents at all)
Now I compare the meerkat every year, if the current insurance price remains the same I stay.
If not, its so easy to swap these days.

Just stick the hell away from MoreThan I've just spent a month being told if I don't supply this bit of paperwork or that or something else they would cancel my other halves insurance although I paid in full up front.

I was with them for a couple of years, non of that hassle for me, so as above
I'm sure they make this up as they go along ...

For the last 3 years my insurer's renewal quote has been the best I could get - it's via my bank, Lloyds. I still can't really believe it.

Always worth trying Direct Line and privilege. I thought all insurers tried to sting you for £200 nicker at every renewal. I am never with one company usually for more than a year because of this. I was with admiral for multicar but they were too dear this year and direct line beat them so off I went to them. I really would rather do without the hassle and have a decent insurer like some of the posters above have who give nice low renewal quotes every time.

I have never had a car insurance renewal which was the same price or cheaper than the previous year, its always gone up despite never once claiming for anything.

Standard practice, whack the price up a little and see what happens. Some pay it and others haggle it back down, still making money out of the ones who can't be bothered with the hassle so just pay the larger amount.l

I tend to shop around first to get an idea of what I could be paying, then call the current one and ask them to match it which they often do.

Aviva guarantee that your renewal won't be more than it would cost if you were a new customer.

But some companies have different target markets and their prices will reflect that.

Clean licence since 1968.

Let's say you were 17, that make you 66 years old? May be they have a thing where when someone is over 65, the risk rises? Like when you hit 25, your insurance gets lower.

I had the totally opposite experience this year.

I am with Churchill, last year was about £450.

The letter arrived and it is £360 !!!

I check online to see that the cheapest was £370, even Churchill online for a new customer is about £490 but I rang up to try my luck.

me "Hi, I got the letter today for renewal, it is at £360, could you round it down to £350?"
Operator "let me check the computer……how about £327?"
me, holding back the amazement "Sure, let's do it, £327 okay….."

So yes, my insurance renewal came less than last year, less than online comparison sites, and when I rung up to ask for a discount, they gave me an offer even less than I was offering.

Operator "let me check the computer……how about £327?"
I've heard of that a couple or times, I wonder if they have a sliding scale or bands ( as such) that they have to stick to?
And £350 played havoc with their calculations. The next band from £360, just happened to be £327?

Or as I suspect its calculated like this

coin_flip_loader.gif

Well a quick update on More Than.

I got back to them with everything they needed only to be told that because of a mistake that they blamed on us that being I was named as the main driver not my partner they had to change to total payment.

Now there was me thinking that it would be £30 - £50 to change it. NOPE they wanted to up the policy from £535 to £999.76 yes a HUGE hike.

So I went on line with Comparethemarket and did a requite. I've got the insurance for £804 which in itself is a stupid amount for a Seat Ibiza 1.2 but she does use it for business. Thats still nearly £200 cheaper and is definitely in my other halves name.

I went with AXA and they have asked for no extra paperwork as they have done a web based check and accepted all our information.

If Morethan want to keep their shinanagins up they will lose loads of business.

NOPE they wanted to up the policy from £535 to £999.76 yes a HUGE hike.
That is outrageous! I hope you told them where to go !

So I went on line with Comparethemarket and did a requite. I've got the insurance for £804 which in itself is a stupid amount for a Seat Ibiza 1.2 but she does use it for business.
That sounds pretty outrageous to me also. I thought that you were both 17 or something going on those prices!
( but I checked :D )

We've just renewed and found it was cheaper by adding the kids on to both of our cars (and adding us on to my daughter's car)

That was an 'interesting' session this morning .

Car Insurance now set up with LV - checked rates this morning - all up on last check - LV was the best I could get - Just over £250 less than Ford - same cover and I have , for my safety, another named driver on the Insurance [ that was included in the quote]

Ford price was for me ONLY as driver - I've tried getting my elder daughter on in the past and the cost for her , bearing in mind she's 400 miles away, was prohibitive !

Just don't take it personally and get on a comparison site at every renewal, they are businesses relying on your own inertia to not shop around. If you don't whose fault is it?
Personally I compare my renewals every time and Direct Line have been the best for probably the last 5 years in a row

Well a quick update on More Than.

I got back to them with everything they needed only to be told that because of a mistake that they blamed on us that being I was named as the main driver not my partner they had to change to total payment.

Now there was me thinking that it would be £30 - £50 to change it. NOPE they wanted to up the policy from £535 to £999.76 yes a HUGE hike.

So I went on line with Comparethemarket and did a requite. I've got the insurance for £804 which in itself is a stupid amount for a Seat Ibiza 1.2 but she does use it for business. Thats still nearly £200 cheaper and is definitely in my other halves name.

I went with AXA and they have asked for no extra paperwork as they have done a web based check and accepted all our information.

If Morethan want to keep their shinanagins up they will lose loads of business.[/QUOTE

I use Direct Line and basic business use is included!

When insuring a private car for the first time in years (on retiring, and giving up the company car), The cheapest quote I could get was with Tesco. It didn't help that i couldn't get my ex employer's insurer to part up with a driving record. One year on, no claims, and Tesco tried to up the premium by 20%. Comparison site took me to General Accident for the second year at roughly 50% of what Tesco wanted. On renewal (no claims) the GA quote was the same as last year. Comparison site took me to Esure who quoted £150 less. On each occasion i approached my previous insurer to see if they would compromise and was met with a firm refusal.

Well I posted a couple of weeks back about expecting a letter soon well I didn’t get it, I got a phone call off my broker instead, with my renewal cost for the year, and my insurance has gone down by £30 and change this year so cannot complain, and it’s taken me all of 60 seconds to arrange...

Just got my quote for renewal in and I think they are taking the right royal p...

It's up over £200 from last year !!

Clean driving licence since 1968 , never any points on it , 2 accidents - only 1 was a driver [ me ] fault .

Car is a Freelander diesel Auto with sidesteps bought at 1yr old in Dec 2015 - garaged overnight , has an immobiliser fitted .

Have got [ thanks to help from a good mate ] much better quotes from Admiral, Elephant. Diamond and ESure. All are for exactly the same exclusions / conditions etc as my present Insurers.

Anyone know anything adverse about these companies ?

I'd like to get this tied up this week so I'm not in a rush at the renewal date

Thanks for any help

Our renewal was for almost 350 more than last year. went on the website for a quote, used different email and got a cheaper than last year quote, called them and they had to better it ...so they did, took a bit of talking them around the fairness issues but they agreed to it.

It's a lazyness tax, they take the mickey for the lazy to compare prices, just click and renew type thing.
You just have to shop around these days.

Can I just mention a major insurance company that the brokers use, Ageas. I had a woman change lanes without looking, wrote me and my motorbike off. Police report said this, but because we are both insured Ageas they wanted to resolve as 50/50. Her car was fixed after two weeks, it took them 4 to collect my bike from the recovery, and now 6 months on it's still not resolved and I've had to involve the ombudsman.

I insure with esure....... last year my policy with wife on was £460 ..... renewal came through and it’s gone up to £660 ....... in the meantime I had an email from compare Saying I can have insurance for £428 ........ oh I can’t be bothered with the hassle ...... then I notice the company’s name...... ESURE!!! So I ring esure direct and state what I’ve got on email........ ah that’s a new customers deal....... your an existing customer........ I hang up at this point

Next day esure ring up and say they going to recalculate my details to see what they can do! Oh no can’t get anywhere near £428 .........

But we can do it for

£348! Is that ok

Back