Non UK Greek Islands - Black and white

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
A few months time and we are off to Greece. Visited quite a number of islands and always shot in colour. Any thoughts about shooting in black and white to challenge myself. Photography is ALWAYS a challenge for me.

I was wondering about that while I was walking the dog earlier. More info in RAW than jpeg to play with when editing black and white? Should I set my Nikon to monochrome instead of Landscape or Neutral or whatever? The raw will hold colour info but the jpeg won't ... is that correct?

The raw will hold colour info but the jpeg won't ... is that correct?

Why not try it first?

I would always recommend shooting colour & then processing into mono afterwards. That way you can control the brightness of each colour channel as though you were able to put different coloured filters on the lens at the time of the shot. It gives you much more control over the final image and potentially a much better result.

If your camera can do live view (and shows the image in mono on the rear screen), it can help you "see" in B&W. Personally, I'd shoot as normal in colour then process as B&W later but since your doing the B&W thing as a personal challenge, that would almost be cheating! How about a film body and a 50mm lens loaded with a B&W film of your choice? Maybe take just 2 rolls of film for the challenge part and use your usual kit for other holiday snaps (or even take a compact for the snaps?)

Me too, I sometimes feel that I try to make images "pop" in colour and b&w.. Why I do this, I don't know.

Back