Green Woodpecker round for lunch

Name
Vlad
Edit My Images
Yes
Sitting at home working away just now I heard a familiar cry from the front lawn.

As I've been looking at the bird section on TP for the last day or so and all my gear is still all over the desk here from my last shoot I thought lets have a go.

I doubt these will rock any serious birder's world, but here goes:

#1 What are you doing on my lawn?

wp1.jpg

#2 Looking for something...

wp2.jpg

#3 Oh! you are eating ants! Plenty of them in my lawn, tuck in!

wp3.jpg

#4 Uhoh, think I've been rumbled...

wp4.jpg

All with 70-200 and 1.7x TC - sorry all my longer glass which would have been far more suitable wasn't to hand!

Just some fun :)

Liking these, as a serious birder im always pleased to see a green woody and would love to have taken these

LOL It's a juvenile and just doesn't know any better than to get this close just yet. Great opportunity though, and well taken. New recruit pending for the Bird Forum? ;)

One of the most difficult birds to shoot - they'll never vist feeders as they're purely ant and insect eaters which is why as often as not when you do see them they tend to be on the ground. When you do see them on a tree, they'll deliberately stay on the blind side if they can - maddening! :puke:

One of the most difficult birds to shoot - they'll never vist feeders as they're purely ant and insect eaters which is why as often as not when you do see them they tend to be on the ground. When you do see them on a tree, they'll deliberately stay on the blind side if they can - maddening! :puke:

Yep totally frustrating species to photograph :)

Not bad at all :)

Cheers folks! Kinda surprised how well these went down actually :D

LOL It's a juvenile and just doesn't know any better than to get this close just yet. Great opportunity though, and well taken.

Interesting CT, I don't know anything really about birds at all but my family are interested to hear your wisdom.

As I said in another thread this one turned up recently and lunches most days but at my work we have tons and tons of them - sometimes eight at a time. They fly into the windows sadly sometimes :(

BTW, these might look like low angles, but this was out of my lounge window. I was surprised it didn't mind me slowly opening the window and shooting at it quite close. Tommorow I'll leave some big glass on in case other targets of oppurtunity show up.

New recruit pending for the Bird Forum? ;)

Hmmm I do shoot birds, but on the grid holding brollies normally :D

Maybe some more birds from me soon - I really only popped in because people were complaining about lack of crit in here and I thought I'd offer some non-bird-expert C&C to help out :nuts:

You bird lot might have to start to learn my sense of humour :D

Last edited:
Cheers folks! Kinda surprised how well these went down actually :D

Interesting CT, I don't know anything really about birds at all but my family are interested to hear your wisdom.

As I said in another thread this one turned up recently and lunches most days but at my work we have tons and tons of them - sometimes eight at a time. They fly into the windows sadly sometimes :(

BTW, these might look like low angles, but this was out of my lounge window. I was surprised it didn't mind me slowly opening the window and shooting at it quite close. Tommorow I'll leave some big glass on in case other targets of oppurtunity show up.

Hmmm I do shoot birds, but on the grid holding brollies normally :D

Maybe some more birds from me soon - I really only popped in because people were complaining about lack of crit in here and I thought I'd offer some non-bird expert C&C to help out :nuts:

You bird lot might have to start to learn my sense of humour :D

LOL. My 'wisdom' about birds only extends to what I've picked up in the 5 years or so I've been shooting them - there are lots of people here who know a lot more about them than me.

My only decent shots of a GW are a juvenile in similar circumstances - down on the lawn and I shot through glass.

How good is that, to have this little guy on your lawn (going green with envy lol). Some good shots there too, thanks for sharing them. Cheers for the explanatory link too, I learned something about ant eaters :p :LOL:

Cheers Trev! Glad you liked the other anteater - that pic makes me laugh everytime :D

CT - is this a juvi because the green colours are not complete and no white speckles on the neck yet? Is there a difference between a male and a female?

Cheers Trev! Glad you liked the other anteater - that pic makes me laugh everytime :D

CT - is this a juvi because the green colours are not complete and no white speckles on the neck yet? Is there a difference between a male and a female?
Yep - that's it basically. This is my juvenile which is probably a mite younger than yours as the colours are even less developed.

4336_11805782434a6ebd6c8ffc6.jpg

Left to right, adult male- adult female-juvenile.

4749937883_3720ccd22c_b.jpg

Both the male and female adult bird have that black moustache -like bar, but in the case of the male the black bar has a red stripe running through the centre of it, whilst the female doesn't

I don't know of any way to sex the young visually until that red moustache starts to appear (or doesn't)

Last edited:
Good effort - the low PoV works well.

Back