Grey Seal pup, Shetland

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a quick trip out to my local, but hard to get to, Grey Seal colony yesterday. There were only 6 pups in total - usually there are around a dozen. There have been a few westerly storms which may have claimed a few, as the beaches are very exposed.

1/ deliberately over exposed
Grey Seal pup, Shetland, 2016 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

2/ front flipper detail
Grey Seal Pup, Shetland , 2016 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

3/ rear flipper detail
Grey Seal pup, Shetland, 2016 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

4/ Yawning - bored with me.
Grey Seal Pup, Shetland , 2016 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

5/ Little furry tail
Grey Seal Pups, Shetland, 2016 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

All with the D800E and 200-500mm

Last edited:
Great set John. love the unusual flipper shots especially the detail in the rear flipper ... didn't know they had toenails! :D

Nice picture, i really like the front flipper detail! It's a stunning picture!

Is it not just getting a bit late in the season maybe a few had already reach "fledging" age? Were i live it has been a good year weather wise not many big storms.

Last edited:
Nice picture, i really like the front flipper detail!

Is it not just getting a bit late in the season maybe a few had already reach "fledging" age? Were i live it has been a good year weather wise not many big storms.
It's possible that the earlier ones are all out at sea, though I've been a few times and not seen so many as I have previously. Killer Whales have probably scoffed a few too :-O

Cracking set of images (y)

I was expecting the usual seal shots but these are very different. I love #1 with the exquisite detail in the eyes, nose, the nails and those lovely dark eyes. The deliberate overexposure really concentrates the focus and gives the impression it's swimming towards you in an icy sea. Only on a white pup would it have worked, but it works! :)

Last edited:
Back