Grey Seals, big waves, and a couple of pups

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
I shot these last weekend at a small Grey Seal colony in Shetland I've been visiting for the last 7 or 8 years. Only counted 4 pups so far but it's still quite early. The big southerly seas, and lack of much beach area, was making for some pretty bad conditions for the pups.

1/ Greetings, after the mother had been seeing off a male who came too close.
Grey Seals, Shetland, 2015 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

2/
Grey Seal Pup, Shetland, 2015 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

3/ Hungry pup calling for mother,,

4/ Taking milk..

5/ Swamped - the pup made it's way further up the rocks after this.

6/

7/
Grey Seal, Shetland, 2015 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Good set John, love the water action :)

I know they can bite dangerously but I know you are aware of that!

Last edited:
A fab set and lovely detail in the first 3 shots.

Judging by the sea action in the frame, I would have liked to seen a few pulled back shots showing more of the waves and seal combination.....if that makes sense!

A fab set and lovely detail in the first 3 shots.

Judging by the sea action in the frame, I would have liked to seen a few pulled back shots showing more of the waves and seal combination.....if that makes sense!

I know what you mean - most of these were at 300mm or with the teleconverter attached and are all a bit tight due lack of room for me to change position (I really do need a 70-200, Santa :-D )
Here's a couple I did with the 24-70 and the Panasonic LX100

24-70mm
Grey Seal, Big Waves, Shetland by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

LX100
Grey Seal Pups, LX100 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

John

Lovely shots and the 'pulled back' shots show a more interesting perspective. You won't go wrong with the Canon 70-200 f4 IS. Mk. 11..I have it. It's really light and they reckon the IS is so good it's equivalent to 4 stops. The quality is tops too. Maybe you'll see one on here.

Lovely shots and the 'pulled back' shots show a more interesting perspective. You won't go wrong with the Canon 70-200 f4 IS. Mk. 11..I have it. It's really light and they reckon the IS is so good it's equivalent to 4 stops. The quality is tops too. Maybe you'll see one on here.

Thank you - Won't fit my Nikon very well though :)
I could do with something to cover the range though - might hire Nikons f4 version of the 70-200 and see how that goes.

Cheers
John

John ,cracking pics for a starter,mate The quality of the set has me struggling to find a favourite. The tenderness between mum and pup is lovely in 1,the close up of the pup enchanting in 2,the pup feeding, again lovely behaviour captured, and again, 6 what a corker of a picture adore the water and almost wink. Hmm also like the 1st wider angle shot. If I had to pick one,we would be here a while john so that's where I'll stop. Thanks so much for posting these mate a joy to see!!

Stu

Back