Grey Squirrel

Name
Noel
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I'll bite the bullet and post a pic. Just recently upgraded to a 90D from my trusty old 40D
I had never used the custom settings before always just used M, AV or TV, but Ive watched a few of Simon d'Entremont's
videos on youtube and decided to give them a go as I have missed many shots adjusting the camera settings.
So set up C1 with a SS of 1600 aperture of 5.6 (thats the fastest my slowest lens is wide open) and auto ISO (never done that before either)
Off I went to a local nature reserve to try it out.
First shot attached I know the head is slightly soft as this was a grab shot with no time to adjust te focus I had to rely on the auto focus which locked on to the tail. only got two shots off with the camera runnigs flat out. still I was quite pleased with the result as with out the custom set up I would have missed it completely.
For your perusal feel free to crit I know its not perfect.

Attachments

• Squirrel.jpg
    Squirrel.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 21
Ok I'll bite the bullet and post a pic. Just recently upgraded to a 90D from my trusty old 40D
I had never used the custom settings before always just used M, AV or TV, but Ive watched a few of Simon d'Entremont's
videos on youtube and decided to give them a go as I have missed many shots adjusting the camera settings.
So set up C1 with a SS of 1600 aperture of 5.6 (thats the fastest my slowest lens is wide open) and auto ISO (never done that before either)
Off I went to a local nature reserve to try it out.
First shot attached I know the head is slightly soft as this was a grab shot with no time to adjust te focus I had to rely on the auto focus which locked on to the tail. only got two shots off with the camera runnigs flat out. still I was quite pleased with the result as with out the custom set up I would have missed it completely.
For your perusal feel free to crit I know its not perfect.
If the 90D sensor is anything like as good at higher ISO as the 40D then auto ISO should not be an issue

As for the AF focusing on the tail......if you are letting the camera use all AF points and make the choice then of course it will pick the nearest object. Can I suggest you select one AF point e.g. the centre most one and use that one to focus on the head.

PS wildlife photography can be very frustrating at times but rewarding when you get "that shot" :)

Last edited:
Hi Noel, welcome to TP.

I've got a 90D.

Few questions as you said only 2 images from camera running flat out..

Why use C1, not just Tv? Have you changed any custom settings in the camera for reaction speeds etc..?

Are you using AI Servo for the focusing?

As @Box Brownie mentioned which AF area are you using? limited zones, 9 spot and single point are the better ones for tracking an animal.

Thanks BB
I Normally do just use the centre AF point as it was custom setting for most eventualitys I set up the centre 9 group it the background is noisy but the ISO was at 20000 so I shouldn't complain.

Hi Gav
Yes using AI servo I set up C1 so I just turn the camera on and set 1 dial ie C1 and everything is setup for instant shooting rather than set AF ISO SS etc
Like I said may slowest lens has a max aperture of f5.6 so it doesnt matter which lens is mounted the settings will work. Camera drive is set to high speed but the little dear ran off almost immediatly only just had time to piont and shoot.

Hi Gav
Yes using AI servo I set up C1 so I just turn the camera on and set 1 dial ie C1 and everything is setup for instant shooting rather than set AF ISO SS etc
Like I said may slowest lens has a max aperture of f5.6 so it doesnt matter which lens is mounted the settings will work. Camera drive is set to high speed but the little dear ran off almost immediatly only just had time to piont and shoot.
Sorry, I thought the camera was missing images, but the fluffy bugger was at fault :LOL: Wildlife likes to keep you on your toes!

Have a play with the custom settings in the camera if you've not already, they can help the catch rate :)

ThatsfineGav you expect more than 2 images at 10fps
I will look at the reaction rate in the menu could well speed things up Ive just left them at default for now till I get used to the camera
Thanks

Back