Grey's or LCE

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking to get a D500 over the next couple of days and it' between Grey's or London Camera Exchange Bath/Bristol. Both are the same price but Grey's would have £12 delivery charge. 140 mile round trip to LCE or 300 mile round trip to Grey' if I needed to go to a store ( Fingers crossed never need to with issues) I'm looking for recommendations on who to use. Thanks

Why would you want to travel to London?

Calumet/WEX in Bristol? A lot less hassle than trying to shop in Bath.

I'm looking to get a D500 over the next couple of days and it' between Grey's or London Camera Exchange Bath/Bristol. Both are the same price but Grey's would have £12 delivery charge. 140 mile round trip to LCE or 300 mile round trip to Grey' if I needed to go to a store ( Fingers crossed never need to with issues) I'm looking for recommendations on who to use. Thanks

I'd rather do a 300 mile round trip to Bristol than a 140 mile round trip to Lungdung!

Would love to go to Greys for a look, but all that travelling. LCE good to do a deal with, I’ve used them a lot. Bath shop very nice, and you got Bath to play with the camera. They do deliver, well wrapped I might add, but Bath got to be worth a visit.

Surely a £12 delivery charge is less than the cost of driving to either place, or of the time involved.
(And don't call me shirley!)

Although they are the same price, are they the same specs in terms of condition and shutter couunt, and are the guarantees similar? If you do have an issue you can always use the post which will be cheaper than a personal visit. I have found LCE to be very reliable and I would except the same from Grey's given their reputation.

LCE will always deal with you at the Chester branch if you have any problems.
But @Welshy74 lives in Bridgend. Even I know that's the other end of the principality.
(Bridgend Mountain Rescue Team once pulled me off the hills high above Llandrindod Wells with a broken leg!!!)

Although they are the same price, are they the same specs in terms of condition and shutter couunt, and are the guarantees similar? If you do have an issue you can always use the post which will be cheaper than a personal visit. I have found LCE to be very reliable and I would except the same from Grey's given their reputation.

I would be buying a new D500 not 2nd hand

Cambrian Photography in Colwyn Bay - give them a try they might throw in free delivery. When you pay so much for an item you'd think retailers would throw in free delivery - SRS microsystems in Watford do.

I would be buying a new D500 not 2nd hand

Apologies, I misunderstood.

In which case I would buy cheaper from elsewhere, mail order.

Or Carmarthen Camera, they priced matched when I bought I camera from them.

Always tend to use Grays, customer service is spot on.

I'm North Wales based so tend to fit in when "up the smoke" for project meetings every few weeks.

GC

I'e seen that but there customer service seems to be a a bit ropey
My own experience of buying a camera from there is decades out of date (when they were under different management) so I can't give a personal recommendation, except to say they seemed reasonable enough whenever I've popped in recently. Google gives them 12 very good reviews and 3 negative. I've been to Gray's too - the staff are certainly polite, though the whole 'of Westminster' thing (it's in Pimlico) and the vanity publications promoting their 'legend' are a bit over the top ('the world’s only camera shop to have been granted a Coat of Arms by The College of Arms'). Personally I'd save the £70 and shop locally. Otherwise, Park Cameras are £20 cheaper than Gray's and have free delivery (I like the London branch of Park).

Last edited:
Sent email to LCE online orders and got a reply from Southampton Civic who would match Cameraland price :D. Is that their head office or does the email go to all shops? Grays said no :(

Last edited:
I think So'ton is their head office these days.

Sent email to LCE online orders and got a reply from Southampton Civic who would match Cameraland price :D.
It's nice to know who will go the extra mile to get our business, especially as there's an LCE branch quite near where I work.

LCE have some good kit and their guys are pretty knowledgeable. BUT, if you see something on their website that you fancy, you MUST phone them first before setting off on any kind of a lengthy trip to one of their branches as they can be a bit slow in updating their website. I got caught out on this recently, I went to their Leamington branch to look at a choice of two Nikon bodies, when I got there they had both been sold a week prior and both bodies were still listed on their website that morning!

If you take a trip to Grey's set in stone your budget, and stick to it.

There are far far too many distractions that my bank balance can attest to the last time it took a trip up to London....:(

It's also a good idea to form an aversion to the colour Gold!

try HDEW and save a fortune also a 3yr warranty
I've bought 2 x d500 and 1 d750 1xd7200
you can walk into them and pick up yourself

Back