Grizzly bears, fox kits and short tailed weasel

A very nice selection of wild critters, David.
I particularly like all the bear cub ones.

What a fantastic set. How on Earth did you capture the last one ?
We had been out for a run up the Beartooth Highway and returned to our hotel in Cooke City for a rest - as we turned into the car park we spotted a guy with a camera lying on the ground at the side of the car park. I asked him what he was seeing and he told me an ermine (it's a short tailed weasel - Many Americans call them ermine year round).

It had found a mouse den, massacred the inhabitants and was bringing them one by one to it's own den and crossing the car park as it did so - so I got my Canon R3 and EF 400 f2.8ii out of the car and joined him in laying in the dirt, not the best way to hand hold a 400 and swing it around with a fast moving subject. Lots and lots of missed shots, it was very fast - think I got four half decent ones out of around 250 shots - the other guy had Sony kit and got a similar hit rate.

Cool set. That first one, not every day.
Took three days to get that - I knew the rough area (within ten miles) that this grizzly sow had been hanging out with her cubs roadside to protect them from male bears - missed them completely first day, second day we went out at 5.50am and missed them by 20 minutes.

Third day we decided we'd drive to the south of her range early and run up and down road 15 miles north then back all morning if needed, left hotel at 5.10am - we were the only vehicle heading north on our first run when we saw them trying to cross the road - the delivery truck spooked them and they ran right down the road past us - I found out exactly how far I can lean out of a Toyota 4runner passenger window and operate a camera.

Then we followed them down road at walking pace until they got to their grazing destination and spent the next hour or so pulled off the road as they chomped veggies and the cubs played.

Back